DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Indians giving props to Guns n ' Roses

Close on the heels of Danander's Japanese Smoke on the Water thread, here follows an 'Indian' version of Sweet Child o' Mine :

enjoy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHwsV5IqhZs
Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Indians giving props to Guns n ' Roses

LOL, That was excellent...

There have to be more of these out there.. Man I love music!

Peace!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

That was great. I was hoping they'd do the whole song.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Nice! Abe, you have a knack for finding these videos. Any chance that tabla player might have been you? That would explain your rock star status.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
That was great. I was hoping they'd do the whole song.
Me too. That was great. Thanks Aydee.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I liked that better than the original.:)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intooder View Post
Nice! Abe, you have a knack for finding these videos. Any chance that tabla player might have been you? That would explain your rock star status.
Man, would I love to be able play tabla, Gish!! Had lots of ops to learn from the best, which I did'nt take up. Youth is wasted on the young, as they say; ). Years later, one Mr. Roach mocked me for not being a tabla playing drummer!!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Man, would I love to be able play tabla, Gish!! Had lots of ops to learn from the best, which I did'nt take up.
Same here. I wish I had heeded my parents advice and stuck with the tabla lessons they got me (which was over 15 years ago). It's been close to a decade since I laid my hands on one.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

I didn't make the connection but I came home from the library with a book today on How to Play Tabla. I actually took a few lessons back some 20 odd years ago. Just another guy who wished he had stuck with it. I think the drums are still somewhere in my folks basement.

I used to love Colin Walcott's playing and saw him perform on several occasions with Oregon: one of my favorite bands. Every time they've been in NY over the last few years I've been out of town. Now they actually use a drum set player.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

You'd probably enjoy it, Ken, with your interest as a teacher and a student of rhythm. Most guys who I've talked to who have come to Indian rhythm via the drumset like Trilok Gurtu, Steve Smith, Ranjit Barot, get totally blown away by the level of sophistication of the concepts. Its not so much the tabla neccesarily but a medium to get into some of these Indian rhythmic concepts.

I saw Steve Smith play an incredible 8 th note -triplet based jazzy thing in 7 1/2 time with Vital Information which was coming from his Indian orientation.

Without any bias, I would venture to say that they are some of the most evolved rhythms on the planet, and can be a huge source of inspiration for a drummer, specially an improvisational player.

My problem was that I always found the tabla very atonal and lacking power, punch, sizzle, thud,volume... all the good stuff kids need when they are 15 ; )

Last edited by aydee; 02-13-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
You'd probably enjoy it, Ken, with your interest as a teacher and a student of rhythm. Most guys who I've talked to who have come to Indian rhythm via the drumset like Trilok Gurtu, Steve Smith, Ranjit Barot, get totally blown away by the level of sophistication of the concepts. Its not so much the tabla neccesarily but a medium to get into some of these Indian rhythmic concepts.

I saw Steve Smith play an incredible 8 th note -triplet based jazzy thing in 7 1/2 time with Vital Information which was coming from his Indian orientation.

Without any bias, I would venture to say that they are some of the most evolved rhythms on the planet, and can be a huge source of inspiration for a drummer, specially an improvisational player.

My problem was that I always found the tabla very atonal and lacking power, punch, sizzle, thud,volume... all the good stuff kids need when they are 15 ; )
Very true, I'd have to say Indian drumming is the most advanced solo drumming on the planet. I've been playing tablas for 9 years, but not intensively or consistently. I've studied some books and tapes by Aloke Dutta and have learned the bols and some recitations and a few kaidas, such as tintal. I've played with a few sitarists. I have just barely scratched the surface and any level of mastery takes more hours of dedication than I can spare.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Very true, I'd have to say Indian drumming is the most advanced solo drumming on the planet. I've been playing tablas for 9 years, but not intensively or consistently. I've studied some books and tapes by Aloke Dutta and have learned the bols and some recitations and a few kaidas, such as tintal. I've played with a few sitarists. I have just barely scratched the surface and any level of mastery takes more hours of dedication than I can spare.
Wow, thats great DMC! Tabla requires a completely different skillset and physical mechanics from the drum set, which is why I reccommend to my drum set player friends that express an interest in it, to use it as a medium to understand the taals and bols and thekas as a concept and then apply it to the drums. Its a great way to actually think in musical phrases rather than a pattern.

Mastering the tabla, with its multiple voicings and the requisite hand - control to evoke those voicings was never something I could do with much competence. That does take a few years, or decades or so...thats a whole different ball game, IMO. How long have you played them?