DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Default John JR Robinson

I've been really digging John's groove lately!

Particularly his work on Off The Wall, Give Me The Night and Shadows (David Benoit).

It would be really good to hear your favourite albums / tracks!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: John JR Robinson

I am amazed that there isn't a thread devoted to JR. He is quite simply one of the best session players ever. His grooves are tight and his chops are immense. He is so far in the pocket that he is covered with lint! My favorite JR track is "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan, but I love all of his work with Rufus.

Paul
Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

From Barbara Streisand to Stanley Clarke, David Lee Roth, Kenny Rogers etc...this guys discography reads like a book. In my opinion he is one of the best session players around. Awesome groove!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAKA View Post
I've been really digging John's groove lately!

Particularly his work on Off The Wall, Give Me The Night and Shadows (David Benoit).

It would be really good to hear your favourite albums / tracks!
"Satisfaction" - Bill Champlin, Runaway
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdrum75 View Post
"Satisfaction" - Bill Champlin, Runaway
Good call!

Is JR credited for this track? I can't seem to find anything to confirm, but it definitely has his sound.

Awesome intro!! Listen out for the hats!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

"Something's Happening" from Clapton's Behind The Sun is a great mid-tempo cooker. JR is so tight, and I love his crash sound.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 AM

ROBINSON recently did an interview with a couple buddies of mine.

Checkit out!
T
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Gretschgal1,

That's a really interesting and informative interview. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM

AMAZING drummer! Probably my level favourite with Jeff porcaro. If you want to hear his best work (my opinion, and quite a few other musicians) listen to 'The Dude' album by Quincy Jones which he played on all tracks. It was recorded soon after 'Off the wall' and many of the musicians from that album were on 'The Dude' too, and it does sound similar. My favorite track is 'the Dude' with some cool vocals and v nice disco style drumming. One fill he does going into the second verse from the bridge is quality-a single handed triplet. Also the Hi-hat on 'Betcha wouldn't hurt me' is quite reminicent of Jeff I think. Kind of half open and closed 'slinky' feel. Listen to the opening and closing of it towards the end, it does sound really thin!

Love his other stuff with david Benoit too, particularly 'This Side Up', and Linus&Lucy.

Yes, that interview is really interesting, he sounds like a cool bloke too.

Tim

P.S. Also recommend his solo 'Funkshui' Nice stuff.

Last edited by thiscocks; 02-28-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 AM

JR!!!

What a monster! He was recently inducted into the Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame(2005, I believe), and to top it off, he then played with some old cronies that he grew up with.

Check out Steven Curtis Chapman's "Heaven in the Real World", Manhattan Transfer "Brazil", Quincy Jones "Jook Joint", "Back on the Block", Steve Winwood "High Life". Just a few but some great grooves and energy from the man!

Born in Creston, Iowa! Keep Groovin', JR!

Tim
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 PM

"The Dude"

Hmmm, what can I say?!

I think this album is quite possibly one of the best albums ever produced. After watching a two part documentary of Quincy Jones, I started to dig a bit deeper into his productions. I bought this album, and when I read the credits, man, I was blown away. All of those phenomenal musicians on one CD! How sexy is Patti Austin's voice??

For me, I agree with Tim. It's JR's hi-hat control that stands out. If you listen to "Rock With You", "I Can't Help It, "Betcha Wouldn't Hurt Me", these are typical examples of that "not quite' opening of the hats he does.

Plus, I just love that raw sound of the snare on all the tunes on Off The Wall
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.
Default John JR Robinson

Maybe I am mistaken, but I did not find a thread for the legendary JR.

Although the man has achieved a lot throughout his career, which is still going strong, I always felt that he did not get the same level of respect that Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro or Vinnie Colaiuta are getting.

I put that down to the fact that he did not record as many jazz / fusion albums where he could show off his skills. JR, although he did some great big band stuff with Quincy, always concentrated on playing for the songs. Maybe he is - wrongly in my opinion - cast as a "pop / R&B" drummer.

To me JR is pure brilliance. He can do it all, and does it perfectly. Check out the DVD for Quincy's 75th birthday recorded in Montreux. If you want to hear him rocking out a la John Bonham, don't go further than the excellent TRW album with Michael Thompson and Mark Williamson.

Despite his amazing career, I do not seem to see him pop up on the "who's influcenced you" lists as often as Gadd or Vinnie (both of whom I dearly admire). I really wonder why? JR to me is fabulous - and dare I say better than Vinnie in a big band setting IMHO - and can add magic to the simplest songs. His groove is so deep. His timing is perfect. JR can turn an average song into a great song.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Laurent, I've found it ;-)
And moved your post accordingly.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

To me JR and bassist Neil Stubenhaus are the best rhythm section ever. Check them out on Bill LaBounty's "The Right Direction".

His solo album "Funkshui" is great. I haven't bought "Platinum" yet, but will do soon.

I personally love JR's snare drum sound. I had the chance to meet him though my friend Neil Stubenhaus, and he is a cool guy indeed.

I like his work on Michael O'Neill's "True Love" too.

JR's pocket is unbelievable. He's got the chops but he makes everything sound "simple", and more importantly tasteful and musical.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

A song I rediscovered recently with JR holding it down on Simmons drums and live cymbals -- "Tell Me I'm not Dreaming" by Jermaine Jackson feat. Michael Jackson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGE970BBLZo