DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Gretsch USA Custom

Hmmm... how do I begin?

Well, there is a story I need to tell. I was scouring eBay as usual... looking for bargains on drum gear. After keying in "Gretsch drums" in the search box I was able to find one listing of particular interest-- a set of standard size (5 x 14, 16 x 22, 9 x 12, 10 x 13, 16 x 16) Gretsch maple shells.

It didn't seem attractive at first because of the fact that they were shells stripped of lugs/hoops/heads/hardware, with only the wrap remaining. But then I saw the badges and noticed that this was a USA custom set-- the epitome of that great Gretsch sound.

And then my evil plan started to formulate. Standard configuration-- that's my current drumset's layout. The seller was also helpful enough to include hole spacing on the lugs. I ran downstairs to my kit and tore the batter heads off faster than I ever have before, and was happy to find the spacing the same.

So what this kit needed was heads, hoops, lugs, and tension rods. And all of them can be found on my kit in the right sizes. So I went for it, and I got it. And I'm ultra excited... Shipping should be a couple of weeks, and I'm holding my breath until then. This is the absolute best way I could have gone for the money in buying a new kit. Oh, and did I forget to mention the price? (Including shipping) $391.57 :-D

Sorry about the misleading thread title, but you will all be spoiled with pictures of the real deal in good time. Oh, and I think there are some parts that I will need to pick up-- suspension mount(s) for rack tom(s), and floor tom leg brackets. And I was planning to get new heads for my current kit soon anyway... so those will also be on the list.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gretsch USA Custom

Looks great, but why those shells do not have the silver sealer on the inside?
Just curious.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

What an insane deal, way to be smart guy. All in all, this would cost significantly less then a new Gretsch USA no matter what you choose for the hardware.

Great buy, enjoy those drums when they are together.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Administrator

The price and condition look great. Do you have any idea as to the age.?
And it is strange that there is no silver sealer. But I'm not sure how that affects the sound as long as the insides are smooth.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Yes as several noticed the silver sealer is absent, and the seller did mention this as well. Apparently that's how they received them. And it does worry me a bit, but really I'll just have to see how it makes a difference when they ship.

Gruntersdad: I couldn't tell you the age although I may contact the seller regarding when they were produced, or maybe there's a serial number of some sort which I can reference.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

wow! Great deal man! I can't wait to see the kit set-up!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Every time I see a kit like this, I wonder what the story is behind it. Who did it belong to? Why was the hardware stripped off and where did it go? Then there are those times when you see a rare vintage kit that has been modified in some bizarre way, and you just smack your forehead and say, "What were they thinking?"
Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
fourstringdrums

Funny this isn't the first stripped USA shell auction I've seen. A yellow stripped shell pack with 8/10/12/14/20/14 went for about $250 the other day. I wonder the same thing, what happened to the hardware?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Funny this isn't the first stripped USA shell auction I've seen. A yellow stripped shell pack with 8/10/12/14/20/14 went for about $250 the other day. I wonder the same thing, what happened to the hardware?
Well hopefully someone else's loss is my gain... I don't know why they would remove the hardware and sell the shells. Hopefully there isn't something wrong with the shells but I'll only find out when they ship (according to UPS by the 6th).
Old 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I'm guessing they liked the hardware so much they put it on a new set of custom shells or something of the like.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 02-03-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

The history of the Gretsch badge is more convoluted than..., well, anyhow, as it looks here http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=historybadges square badge #2, and it ran from 1981 to the late 1990's (1997?). Chances are the hardware went to an older Gretsch kit. (with nasty, pitted hardware). But that's just a guess.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Bump...

The drums shipped, but there's a bit of a dissapointment: my old set's lugs don't fit because of slightly different hole spacing. Luckily the lugs are replacable-- all the parts I need I can find online, although it will cost a good amount of money. Of course there's also the option of drilling new holes but that is somewhat of a last resort for me.

I'll post some pictures of the shells in due time.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Bump...

The drums shipped, but there's a bit of a dissapointment: my old set's lugs don't fit because of slightly different hole spacing. Luckily the lugs are replacable-- all the parts I need I can find online, although it will cost a good amount of money. Of course there's also the option of drilling new holes but that is somewhat of a last resort for me.

Well, that stinks. A while back I was carring my bass drum and i tripped and fell on the bass drum breaking the bass drum leg holder in half. It was older rock star model and i couldn't find and new hardware that would match up, so now my bass drum looks like swiss chesse.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Bump...

www.champagnedrum.com If you like the style, he can make you lugs that are the exact spacing you need. They're all custom order. I just ordered some for my McKenzie and they're great. I was accidentally shipped the wrong mounting screws but Greg appologized and sent me the correct screws right away. Great customer service.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh boy that looks nice, i wanna see that fully setup.

Good stuff man.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Quality initiative hope works
Old 02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Just some picture updates. I'm waiting for the lugs to be shipped, so for now the shells are just sitting around. As you can see there are buttloads of packing peanuts and bubble wrap, but atleast they were well-protected in shipping. Also in the pictures is the setup I'm running because my old bass drum and snare drum are currently disassembled. I'm using my 12" steel snare and 16" FT as a small kit, with hats and ride. The bass drum spurs are in the floor tom brackets, and shoe box serves as a poor man's BD riser (or atleast a man who just bought a drum kit).
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2008, 05:46 AM

Sounds like a really sweet deal, no matter the hardware cost. Very odd about the silver sealer though. It's always hard to figure out what someone was thinking.

I think you're going to have a very nice kit when all is said and done, and can't wait to see the finished pics! Nice find!

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 AM

Are the inner plys darker than the outer plys, because if it's a Jasper shell you shall be very satisfied by the sound of the kit!