DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default Drum Bags/Cases

I am looking to buy some soft side bags for my drums and Have a question, please.
My Gretsch are basically Fusion sizes, but I am wondering if I need extra room for the
tom suspension mounts I thought about buying standard sizes and then a 10 x 10 tom bag for the 8 x 7 tom, just ensure enough room. Any ideas??
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Drum Bags/Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I am looking to buy some soft side bags for my drums and Have a question, please.
My Gretsch are basically Fusion sizes, but I am wondering if I need extra room for the
tom suspension mounts I thought about buying standard sizes and then a 10 x 10 tom bag for the 8 x 7 tom, just ensure enough room. Any ideas??
No, a bag will stretch just enough so you can get it in.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm using Warwick Rockbags, relatively inexpensive and they're well made. The best bags I've seen being used. I bought a size up because my bass drum is a 22", but the rest of my kit is fusion sized. Having bags a size too big has made no difference to the functionality of my bags, I use them all the time and they hold up well to the abuse I throw at them. Highly recommended.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Don't skimp on the BD size. I've found the exact size bags can sometimes be snug, and since the drum is heavier it's easier to get it out of a bag that has some slack in it.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to take a tom to the store and see how they fit.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 AM

These bags are awesome. http://www.humes-berg.com/index.asp Get the Tuxedo Bags they are padded and are top quality bags.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks Nohart. They do look good.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

I have had the Tuxedo bags for about 14 years now and the only problem I have had is the zipper on the 14" has busted. Other than that they have done a great job, and my drums have been in and out of them many, many times.

It's definately a good idea to take a tom with you to see how it fits, I got mine a little oversized for the RIMS mounts.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

I swear by Humes & Berg's Drumseeker line. Here's a link:
http://www.finecases.com/browse/drum...eker-4551.html
for some reason their US website doesn't show them, just the Tuxedos. Don't know if they are a higher or lower line than the Tuxedos. I have to order them special from the drum shop, and they take a few weeks to ship them, but they're worth waiting for.

I have the Gretsch Purewood Mahogany, and my 9x13" tom with suspension mount fits in just perfect, snug but not at all difficult to get in or out. All the other cases fit with plenty of room.

The thing I really like about the cases is that they have a hard plastic disk in each end to protect the heads. I know a lot of people like the Protection Racket cases, and I tried one of those for a snare, but don't think they are anywhere near as nice as the DrumSeekers. Not as thick outer material, not as thick padding, and it doesn't have those disks.

Also, Humes & Berg has a pretty cool history. Another reason I like giving them my business. Try to check them out before you decide...
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Hey, G, did you end up making a purchase? Learn anything in the process you can share? I have a bad case of GAS and searching around DW and found this old thread. I have shallow toms and kick ... skb doesn't have the particular sizes. I'm thinking of going with a heavy duty bag as they are substantially lighter.anyway (I think), but do want to protect them properly. Thanks. Joey
Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 AM

Joey --

If you're in the market, you should also check out Protection Racket bags... I used to use Tuxedo bags but I kind of prefer the PR bags... they are very well made and have beefy zippers, a nice fleece lining and getting larger toms/bass drums in the bags is generally fairly easy.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for that. I will look at them. I'm not actually gigging or anything, just getting prepared to play with some guys someplace other than my home and I don't have anything. I wouldn't take but a 4 piece setup I think, but will probably get cases for all of them while I'm at it. Hardware too, I suppose. I am concerned about the snare, I see a couple of the well respected guys here suggest a hardcase over Protection Racket or even the other high end soft cases for snares. You have thoughts on that? Thanks again. Tons of threads here on this subject, I'll keep reading. Joey
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Thanks for that. I will look at them. I'm not actually gigging or anything, just getting prepared to play with some guys someplace other than my home and I don't have anything. I wouldn't take but a 4 piece setup I think, but will probably get cases for all of them while I'm at it. Hardware too, I suppose. I am concerned about the snare, I see a couple of the well respected guys here suggest a hardcase over Protection Racket or even the other high end soft cases for snares. You have thoughts on that? Thanks again. Tons of threads here on this subject, I'll keep reading. Joey
I use www.hardcase.com. My drums have the opposite situation as yours - they are square sizes, which is considered deep for trap set drums. While Protection Racket makes great cases, they don't make all the sizes I need. The nice thing about Hardcases is that they telescope to a degree, "stretching" or "shrinking" to fit extra deep or extra shallow drums.

Hardcases are overkill for local gigging where you are handling your gear, but I like the extra measure of protection and they stack and lock on each other for transport. They weigh about as much as PRs and nest just as well. They also look cool - someone once thought I was transporting some nuclear devices or something! The downside is they take up more room in transport.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Joey, I'm still looking. I had a bite on craigslist with a guy selling drums and cases, and almost had him talked into the cases but he changed his mind.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

I use the H&B Galaxy bags--good bags for not so much. You get a really good deal when you buy a set of them on MF or where ever. Around $100-120 for a five-piece kit. They are well made, real cordura, good zippers.

One nice thing is that they make nearly every size conceivable. I bought a set of them and added a couple more for the additional drums in my kit.

I originally bought a "standard" size set of them, then moved on to "fusion" sized drums. No problem, there's just a bit more room in the bag.