DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Picky guy needs kick beater recommendation

I'm thus far dissatisfied w/ the beaters I've used...maybe someone can recommend a good one.

I use a DW 5000 accelerator single-pedal and have tried a few different beaters. I bought one of those "hard core" DW beaters w/ the little plastic center surrounded by hard foam...hated it. Not only do you need to *slam* the pedal down to utilize the soft part of the beater, I hate the impact feeling of the plastic part. I don't want that clicky smacking sound. I tried a round felt soft beater but didn't like that I got much less rebound...but I loved the sound I got from this type of beater. Right now I'm using a DW felt/plastic beater, using the felt side...but these things are cheap pieces of crap and the felt wears down very quickly.

I've looked at, but not tried, those Tama Iron Cobra beaters...the rubber one looks appealing and it seems like I could get both good rebound and a softer, less "clicky" sound than w/ hard plastic. Anyone using these? What about the wooden-headed ones?

I want something that's not as top-heavy as the DW felt/plastic beater I'm using, also...I find that I have to over-compensate w/ spring tension to use this type of beater.

What's a good beater for me? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Picky guy needs kick beater recommendation

My Yamaha Felt Beaters are pretty nice. Semi hard felt with decent tone and pretty good rebound.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Zam! I use the DW 5000s on my gig kit and Pearl eliminators on the Yammie at home.Both are felts, which I personally prefer over wood, the only other that I've played. Wood have a nice feel, but I found the sound a little slappy.

But the Eliminators have a nicer sound/feel than the DWs IMO. Big difference. ( have tried both on same Bass drum too ). The Eliminator have the Plastic option if loaded sideways which is truly hideous.

So, is it the pedal..or the beater..or both that needs looking at.?

ps- Had a Ludwig speed king with a wooden beater, long ago, that kicked butt.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
So, is it the pedal..or the beater..or both that needs looking at.?

ps- Had a Ludwig speed king with a wooden beater, long ago, that kicked butt.
Ya know...I'm not sure? It took me a long time to get comfy w/ my DW 7000 pedal. Then, while on vacation last fall, I played a 5000 accelerator and fell in love w/ it...so I bought one...I haven't been able to get comfy w/ this one, entirely. I *hate* the new pedal process!

I actually thought about getting a speed king but I haven't played one...so I hate to dump any dough on it sight-unseen.