DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Looking for a cheap alternative to Axis longboards

I was looking at axis longboards a while back, and they look really nice, but I simply don't have the cash to buy them right now. Are there any other nice double-pedals in the $150-250 range?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Looking for a cheap alternative to Axis longboards

Yes.

20 characters
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Yes.

20 characters
Sticknstonesrus, awesome meaningless insight, keep it up! /sarcasm

I think he was looking for actual sugesstions buddy.

Anyyyyyways... Are you specifically looking for a longer foot base? or is it the "speed" your after? If your just looking for a cheap double pedal theres tons, PDP or VEX offer cheap alternatives to some of the more expensive DP's out there, I personally have used the PDP double pedal and it worked pretty smooth, but don't take my advice I dont normally play double pedaled.

Harry where you at? every time I see a double pedal post you always got great insight.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

[quote=Landon;405194... looking at axis longboards ... they look really nice...don't have the cash... other nice double-pedals in the $150-250 range?[/QUOTE]
Have you played the Axis pedals, or have you "just looked" at them? You need to get your feet on as many pedals as you can. The Axis, being a direct drive pedal, is going to feel a lot different from most other pedals, being most other pedals are chain or strap drive. I play Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive pedals (2 single), and when I need a double pedal, I have an Off-Set pedal to fit that bill http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3415_IMG.jpg but not only is that system a double pedal, it's a center pedal design as well. Gibraltar makes a direct drive double pedal in your price range http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...oductId=214336 You might find a Yamaha "gentle used" in your price range. Quick check of eBay and Craig's list. I did a google and found a few in the $150-240 range used. Pearl, Tama and DW all make good "affordable" products. But only you and your feet will be able to tell what "feels right" for you.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 AM
Gold Member

Well, Iron Cobras are $300, and they came in seond for the world's best pedal. In first, the axis AL-2 longboard. But with the axis, they're machine made, so it's hard to get replacement parts. With Iron Cobras you can get replacement parts by going to your local music store. That's probably the best you can get (In my opinion) for around your price range.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 AM

As far as matching the durability, build quality, and adjustability of the Longboards, i'd recommend the Pearl 2002B Eliminator belt-drive pedals.

Link Here

I'm in love with mine, and to play on a DW5000 or Iron Cobra set just feels...clunky and awkward. Granted, i'm used to mine, but other drummers compliment them constantly.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
Sticknstonesrus, awesome meaningless insight, keep it up! /sarcasm...I think he was looking for actual sugesstions buddy.
I know. That was the intention.

I have lost the motivation to contantly answer some of the same questions, over and over again, with the same answers, over and over again.

I trying not to "be mean".

How many times can it be said? Research. Test. Like? Than buy. The OP must get out there and judge what works best for himself. Buying online, researching online, testing through forums, asking user-opinions...while good for "hearing" experiences, still doesn't deliver the info that I would hope to get. Certainly not if I was going to spend $$$ of my hard-earned money.

Truth is, for $150...you can't get very much. Certainly not nowadays. Even the "lesser" of the double pedals on the market...cost is getting up there. Landon, the choice is yours to be made. Spend the money now, get a less reputable pedal, pay more in the end cause you either didn't like it and replaced it, or replaced it because it's cheap and broke. not saying this is going to happen, but it's a risk.

I don't like being the guy who says "use the search function"....

Here....One for $100, one for $150, one for $220

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dal?sku=445489

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dal?sku=448787

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dal?sku=443464

That took exactly 5 minutes. Looking at the three...I would spend the $220 for the DW. Turns out, asking most people around here...the $220 is a pretty good deal for a DW 7000 DP.

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 01-31-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Then don't reply, it's simple really. I don't usually bother.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

If you're really after the Axis Longboards, why not just save up to buy some?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Well, Iron Cobras are $300, and they came in seond for the world's best pedal..
in what test did the iron cobras come in second?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

But with the axis, they're machine made, so it's hard to get replacement parts.

Really, what Axis parts are hard to get?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
But with the axis, they're machine made, so it's hard to get replacement parts.

Really, what Axis parts are hard to get?
There was a little uproar around here when Adler left Axis over support issues. Apparently he was breaking pedals and not getting parts?!?!? I haven't had any issues with mine....hoping not to. I've never actually heard of anyone (here on DW) that claimed any issues with Axis other than not being able to get the entire pedal they ordered through a GC because of backorders (or whatever).

Eithert way, the "machine made" thing...uh...I think they're all made from a machine nowadays....and it would seem that because they are manufactured on some kind of machine, they'd be easy to make parts for. Whatever.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
There was a little uproar around here when Adler left Axis over support issues. Apparently he was breaking pedals and not getting parts?!?!? I haven't had any issues with mine....hoping not to. I've never actually heard of anyone (here on DW) that claimed any issues with Axis other than not being able to get the entire pedal they ordered through a GC because of backorders (or whatever).

Eithert way, the "machine made" thing...uh...I think they're all made from a machine nowadays....and it would seem that because they are manufactured on some kind of machine, they'd be easy to make parts for. Whatever.

Adler must be a mechanical idiot, or trying to get parts from a store front(?) I doubt it. I've dealt with Axis for years. They bend over backwards to get you what you need, even going as far as custom fabrication, try that with Tama, DW, Pearl or any other co. Trick may do something custom for you, but you'll get reamed.

Before Axis I played Tama, DW, Pearl, Ludwig, and many others. Getting parts from these co's was not an easy matter and certainly in no way as easy as Axis. Try talking to the builder/designer of any of these other pedal brands, if you ain't tight with the co... ya screwed boy, its not going to happen.

Axis is a US co with a US conviction. Their parts are an 800 # away and that's just the ones you can't find at your local hardware store (fasteners). If you can turn a screw, 'everything' on an Axis is user fixable. Once you learn an Axis pedal, its a no brainer, you'll fear no problems.

Any minute bit of slop anywhere on the pedal can be easily tightened up. These pedals can't wear themselves out (if properly set up), they may get loose, but its simple maintanance to get them back to factory spec's with the original parts. No other major pedal can make this claim.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Adler must be a mechanical idiot, or trying to get parts from a store front(?) I doubt it. I've dealt with Axis for years. They bend over backwards to get you what you need, even going as far as custom fabrication, try that with Tama, DW, Pearl or any other co. Trick may do something custom for you, but you'll get reamed.

Before Axis I played Tama, DW, Pearl, Ludwig, and many others. Getting parts from these co's was not an easy matter and certainly in no way as easy as Axis. Try talking to the builder/designer of any of these other pedal brands, if you ain't tight with the co... ya screwed boy, its not going to happen.

Axis is a US co with a US conviction. Their parts are an 800 # away and that's just the ones you can't find at your local hardware store (fasteners). If you can turn a screw, 'everything' on an Axis is user fixable. Once you learn an Axis pedal, its a no brainer, you'll fear no problems.

Any minute bit of slop anywhere on the pedal can be easily tightened up. These pedals can't wear themselves out (if properly set up), they may get loose, but its simple maintanance to get them back to factory spec's with the original parts. No other major pedal can make this claim.

Mine haven't even loosened up. I tend to lean on making sure mine stay in top form. I keep them clean and snug. Never give me any problems...

I haven't had the need to contact Axis regarding anything...but I'm confident that they've got my back if I need it.