DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 PM

Default Getting crack out of Ambassador

I have a Pearl Steel Shell Custom Sensitone with ambassador coated on top and ambassador snare on the resonant side.
I tune my batter and resonant the same pitch, relatively high. I am trying to get a dry, crack sound that chad smith, or vinnie colaiuta had in the buddy rich memorial concert. I want that dry "CRACK"
Any tips on how to tune it? Do I have to mute it? It is VERY ringy right now.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Getting crack out of Ambassador

Crank that batter head right up and experiment with some moongel.

My brass snare has a lovely ring to it, I like it that way. But if I am going for a dryer sound then tuning the head right up and placing 2 moongels at the top of the head about 2 inches apart, half an inch from the hoop gives me a nice crack.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

2 moongels? That would certainly make it dry!

If you listen Chad Smith's snare sound is actually quite ringy but still has that nice crack sound. Playing with a full band the ringyness of a snare really does get covered up quite a bit and I find you need some overtones for the snare to cut through. In my experience you can never really eliminate all of the overtone ringyness in a snare unless you smother it with moongel but then you end up with it sounding dead and lifeless.

I like a nice crack sound from my snare so I have both heads tight but have the resonant side a bit tighter than the batter. I use an Aquarian texture coated batter and classic clear snare side reso and find I only really need half a moongel (I lay it right at the edge of the head with one edge stuck to the rim so only half the moongel actually touches the head) to just dampen the ring a fraction but not completely.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurders View Post
2 moongels? That would certainly make it dry!
Most enginneers when I play out would have me put 2 packs on!!! I could take my piccolo but I like making them wince...hehehe.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Try cranking up the snare head to it's maximum. You may find you'll then need to drop back the four lugs immediately adjacent to the snare wires if buzzing becomes a problem.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Believe it or not my maple snare has a wee bit too much ring for me so I experimented with putting one business card next to the hoop close to me out of the way and it worked. Very little muffle if any and cut the ring in half. And they are free.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak22thegoat View Post
I have a Pearl Steel Shell Custom Sensitone with ambassador coated on top and ambassador snare on the resonant side.
I tune my batter and resonant the same pitch, relatively high. I am trying to get a dry, crack sound that chad smith, or vinnie colaiuta had in the buddy rich memorial concert. I want that dry "CRACK"
Any tips on how to tune it? Do I have to mute it? It is VERY ringy right now.
Tune the batter or reso to a different pitch. Whenever you tune both heads of any drum to the same pitch you get maximum ring.

Most guys go with the reso higher than the batter, but some drums sound better with the batter higher.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Tune your batter a little higher the the snare side I have a sensitone brass shell and that's how I tune it I like a snappy snare I can't.stand how rock drummers used to tune there snares in the 80's very loose almost sounded like tom with snare wires blah!.typical tunings practices hit your drumhead about 1 1/2" from each tension rod and make sure you have the same pitch.a lot of time your tension rods will loosen up and that will make your snare sound crappy & no likes crappy LOL. Good luck,

Bonzolead

P.S. a little piece of duct tape helps also but just a liitle bit experiment too get the sound your looking for.Don't. choke out the snare.