DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-02-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Larry Mullen

Now I am young and naive when it comes to this sort of thing; forming opionions of drummers. But am I alone when I praise Larry Mullen? If I am merely being blinded by the sex appeal of U2 please set me straight 'cause I really thought I was idolizing Larry for his technique not his physique. Any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Larry Mullen

I'll tell you this right now, you're not the only one. Larry Mullen Jr. is and always will be my favourite drummer of all time. He may not have the most difficult drum beats or have the fastest chops, but he is by far, one of the most talented and diverse drummers. I saw U2 in Vancouver April 28th, and I'll never forget that show. Mullen is my biggest influence. He is the reason why I began playing the drums.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Larry Mullen Jr. is a very good drummer. I think the best part about him is the way he works for the songs. There are a lot of drummers like this -- that really add to the songs. What makes u2 so absolutely fantastic (besides overwhelming talent) is that all of their members -- without exception -- work solely to better the song. No one stands out as the best in their instruments, but they are arguably the best rock band of all time.

i mean who else is making the best records of their career 25 years later? I have nothing but praise for all of them.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 AM

Yeah, and its the small stuf that you got to listen for in songs that really reveal his technique. Like on Stay,So Far Away I think it is he has this sort of delay on the snare , if only for a split second off of the high hat that gives the song a calm somber feel with out creating drag. Check it out. And I just see that , with what someone was saying earlier about the group and how well they work together, where do youfind people like that to play with ? The group set up seems so ideal its baffeling. People just don't know don't a appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM

I have followed Larry Mullen and U2 since they released "under a blood red sky" in 1983. The band and Larry has been a source of inspiration ever since. They have a unique chemistry and have managed to change and evolve throughout their career. Larry Mullen is a powerful and steady drummer who clearly listens to the rest of the band and leaves room for the the two maestros up front. He has coined some beats that stand out in rock n roll history. Listen to Sunday, bloody sunday or Where the streets have no name and hear what I mean. He gives the band a lot of itīs energy. I have seen U2 live a couple of times and Mullenīs drumming adds to the phenomenal build-ups they manage to do on large arena venues. But i am a bit disapponted with their Vertigo-album. Mostly because of the mix. To my ears the drums are a bit too low. With the drums a bit more to the front of the mix it would have been a rock-album. Now itīs more of a pop-album, and it takes away some of the edge they used to have. But of course, the band are in their forties and not in their twentys anymore...
Old 11-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Pioneer Member

they should've made the drums louder on the vertigo alubum especially for "City of Blinding Lights".
Old 11-13-2005, 10:43 PM

Hello. Does anyone know what drum kit(s) Larry used on The Joshua Tree, Zoo TV, Elevation; and Vertigo tours?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Yamaha Maple Custom and Beech Custom. He also uses Paiste Cymbals...the signature series.

Last edited by rendezvous_drummer; 04-19-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 PM

Larry Mullen Jr is da man! he is a great drummer. and yea, just like Fat Elvis said, he does just add to songs. he isnt trying 2 be a standout performer, but he's doing exactly what the song needs to be that something extra. very musical, and he's da man.

"I joined the band just so I could hit things" - Larry Mullen Jr. on why he joined U2.

what more could you ask for in a drummer?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:52 AM

I got to see Larry play live in Oakland and I have to say he is a prime example of a really great drummer that keeps it simple and tasty. He doesnt overdue it and he has great chops. He also has a really nice kit and his cymbals are gorgeous.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 AM

I completely agree with whoever started this post. I just saw U2 on the vertigo tour last night in Tampa, and I must say I have always been a fan of Larry Mullen, but last night he just blew me away. I mean I agree with people that say he isn't the best, but he(and the rest of the band) is the the least selfish guy I have ever seen. He doesn't care if he gets recognized and that takes a lot in my opinion, especially in a band like U2. He has some fabulous beats, but I find on recordings his drums are turned down low, and someone said its because they want it to be more poppy, but I mean come on, its U2. He is just an unselfish guy, and he is just trying to carry the song the way it should. Him and adam connect so well in the rhythym. The show was absolutely incredible and I suggest that ya'll go see them if you get a chance ever. Mullen's kit is amazing. It's a yamaha, and he has paiste, I think heavy signatures, not sure though, and they sound incredible. He turns his snare mic down low, he does lots of rolls on his snare using just snare, and its turned down so low that its tough to hear, Its like he doesn't want to be heard. But that's enough, anyways, he is a great drummer with a unique style, and he has motivated greatly through his one performance.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:51 AM

i think on the albums ,well achtung baby anyway He used a Brady 13x8 snare.
i love that drum

Last edited by gavan; 11-19-2005 at 09:51 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-20-2005, 02:19 AM

I think Larry has a brilliant, unique style that really compliments the music he plays behind not to mention he was actually the one who formed the band together.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:51 PM

Hello. Does anyone know how to play the part where Larry plays his snare drum at the beginning of "City of Blinding Lights" on the Vertigo 2005// U2 Live from Chicago DVD? I think that part sounds cool, and just wanted to know what the tabs would be. Would any of you would also happen to know what snare drum Larry uses on the Vertigo tour?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Pioneer Member

I was thinking that myself. Not too sure what snare he uses but try UltimateU2.com
Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 AM

Hi. Does anyone know if Larry has been featured in any front cover(s) of a drumming magazine?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Larry plays rolls on the intro of city of blinding lights. and as for the tom question, he has it mounted with a crash............well at leats thats what it was at the vancouver concert. GREATEST DRUMMER EVER!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Larry Mullen is a fantastic song player. He really knows how and where to put the beat on a song. Very tasteful and really knows where to pick his spots. I would compare him to say, Ringo Starr, in terms of playing FOR the song.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 PM

Hey, Rendezvous_Drummer. Can you play any U2 songs on the drums? If so, which song(s)? and how much was your Yamaha kit?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Pioneer Member

hey LarryC. My kit cost 300 for the shells only but i got the hardware from my brother. U2 is my favorite band of all time and Larry Mullen is my Favorite drummer of all time and knowing that, I forced myself to learn every single song. I would say I can play all the songs on the A side tracks (songs that are on their main albums) and right now i'm working on their B-side tracks (Lady with the Spinning head, Sweetest Thing). The stuff is awesome!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:32 PM

Drmrboy- Yes, he was featured on the front cover of Modern Drummer in August 1985.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 PM

larry mullen is an amazing drummer, just listen to sunday bloody sunday! such a wicked beat. he plays what is perfect for each song. as for his drums, i think that he uses a yamaha beech custom. well, thats what i read last.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:43 PM

I agree with everybody, Larry is a very cool drummer, not overdoing, just playing for the song, much respect. BUt i don`t think he always used yamaha, at least not in the early vids. he was probobly endored by Tama, (maybe superstar) then he moved too Yamaha 9000 to maple custom . I think he used a variety of brands during the joshua tree sessions, correct me if iīm wrong. Happy New Years Day!! (well..
Old 12-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Pioneer Member

His sister cecilia bought him his first drum kit for 17 pounds. But I was looking at some pictures and videos of when they were known as "Feedback" and "The Hype" and the drums he's ever played were Yamaha. His drum sticks are very strange due to his tendonitis though. Greatest drummer ever!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
His sister cecilia bought him his first drum kit for 17 pounds. But I was looking at some pictures and videos of when they were known as "Feedback" and "The Hype" and the drums he's ever played were Yamaha. His drum sticks are very strange due to his tendonitis though. Greatest drummer ever!
Yeah, I read that about Larry years ago. I wonder how much 17 pounds are in USD currency. Are you in a band, Rendezvous_Drummer? If so, what type of band?, and what is the name? I read below that you paid $300.00 for the shells of your kit, what model is it? Sorry for all the questions, ha ha.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfManNWolf
Yeah, I read that about Larry years ago. I wonder how much 17 pounds are in USD currency. Are you in a band, Rendezvous_Drummer? If so, what type of band?, and what is the name? I read below that you paid $300.00 for the shells of your kit, what model is it? Sorry for all the questions, ha ha.
Hey OfManNWolf, yeah im in a hard rock/pop band called Rendezvous. I hate this NAME!!! My kit is a Yamaha DP which is about 10 years old but still sounds awesome. I saw a pair of Larry's sticks today and it is very wierd. It's curved at just about the mid point of the stick. I know he's endorsed by Pro Mark, Yamaha kits and hardware and Paiste Cymbals, but im not to sure about heads. More likely remo since thats what he is playing the vertigo tour with.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:22 PM

Larry Mullen Jr is also my favorite drummer. The interesting thing about him is that he has a natural style. You can play the u2 songs just by listening careful to them, they are not very complicated.

If you are starting to play your drum kit, listen to some U2 songs such as Stay (faraway so close ), Pride, New Year's Day, The are very simple rythms and very easy to follow. Also listen to the Fly (U2 vertigo live version).

These songs are the base of all U2 songs, they almost follow the same rythms with some variations.

The beginning of City of Blinding Lights (and all the song) is a single stroke rudiment (right, left, right, left.......) listen careful to the song to remark the correct notes. Just try to follow the song don't desperate.

Happy New Year's DAY
Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 PM

Rendezvous_Drummer- That's cool, man! Have any pictures of your kit? I'm thinking about buying the Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Fusion 5-piece kit, or something a little bit better. I know Larry uses Pro-Mark sticks, but which ones?

Rick_Javi- Thanks for the tips, bro.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Pioneer Member

yea ill post some pics up when i get a few haha. But i think he uses 5A size sticks. Also another U2 song that follows the same rhythm as pride and elevation (verse) is until the end of the world. Very simple stuff that goes perfectly with the song. My all time favourite drum song of U2 is Sunday Bloody Sunday. It's like a military beat.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Pioneer Member

and the yamaha stage custom advantage fusion set is a wise choice. That's the kit ima be pickin up once im 300 bucks richer.

Last edited by rendezvous_drummer; 04-19-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
and the yamaha stage custom advantage fusion set is a wise choice. That's the kit ima be pickin up once im 300 bucks richer. I think Larry either uses Birch absolute or Beech Absolute.
Sweet. In what color? I'm planning on purchasing mine from Musician's Friend, how about you? Yes, Larry uses the Beech Absolute kit, that kit is killer.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:36 PM

I love Larry Mullen playing and I'm a U2 fan, but what is going on with Larry looking so bored on stage. I saw U2 here in Chicago, on Bono's birthday, which is now the Veritigo tour on DVD and Larry looks bored and almost angry. Now, he always seems a bit stoic, but even Bono has said that he is bored most of the time. What's going on, you'd think being as huge as they are and the big crowds that it would still be fun even after all these years.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:35 AM

I watched a U2 documentary where Larry said that "he looks like he is having an awful time because he is really not that great of a drummer and he really needs to concentrate to play everything correctly" obviously we all know that he rules but we can all relate to wanting to play to perfection
Old 01-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Actually Larry Mullen Jr. has a severe case of tendonitis and when he plays and looks angry, he's actually in a lot of pain.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Simply put, if it were'nt for Larry, U2 would not be U2. I like to call the band, The Larry Mullen Jr. band time to time. He is also my favorite drummer cause the stuff he does fits the music perfectly. Nobody else could do it any better. Too bad he isn't on this site.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Pioneer Member

This is my 2000th post and I just wanted to put it in the Larry Mullen Jr. thread. Afterall, he is my favorite drummer!

Have any of you heard the new U2 single "Window in the sky"? That groove that he plays is genious...fits perfectly!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:33 AM

bono can't sing (as well as his arrogant attitude)and u-2's music is boring,therefore why should i care who the drummer is? they do nothing that blows me away,musically.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Larry was a very important influence when I started. For those of you saying that he is to low in the mix, go back and check out their first two records Boy and October where he is playing straight up rock and roll drums that are up front and center. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a wonderful drum track that is both interesting and simple.

I have been frustrated that he is now so buried in the mix that you can't quite make out what he's doing. I like the music but I'd like to hear him too!

Also, it would be great if he would give an interview in MD or something. I don't think he's done an interview that's drum related in over 15 years.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 AM

I think we should get back to talking about drums, and Larry Mullen on this particular thread. I have been a fan since 1980 and I have always respected Larry's drumming, I think he is a fine drummer. His style is very tasteful and flows with the music, he doesn't overplay and plays what the music needs instead trying to put on a clinic every song. I think my favorite track is the "The Unforgettable Fire" very cool intro to this song. Also put on some headphones and play along with "Under A Blood Red Sky - Live At Red Rocks" this is a very fun album to play along with.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:41 AM

I saw the boys do their sound check in montreal for the Elevation tour....special guest thanks to my friend Rick St.Pierre of Wizard Amplification. It was like having U2 in your living room...big big living room.
Larry is just so tight and in the pocket...he was absolutly a joy to watch.
His kit and playing are a solid pocket of the U2 groove.
Not a day goes by that I don't remember that day.
What a beautiful day.