DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 PM

Default The Slapstik

The Slapstik - I had a fun experience with this new innovative drumstick. It has a flexible tip that allows you to play both up and down strokes.

Last edited by gratitude; 10-24-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: content
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Slapstik

But what is your question????

Ah well - ill ask one myself:

What is the tip made of and how is it attatched?

Is it durable?

EDIT - Is it me or does the post by "gratitude" seem like a review of an advert in Modern Drummer Magazine??? Do you work for the company by any chance?

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
But what is your question????

Ah well - ill ask one myself:

What is the tip made of and how is it attatched?

Is it durable?
Got to love informative posts...

Here is a link http://www.theslapstik.com/

In all blunt honesty, it looks useless. In the video they have on the website it shows someone hitting the hi-hat on the way down and on the way up. Well you can do that with a regular stick if you practice enough. I also don't see the flexible tip giving you enough attack and volume or control.

When I play drums I want to play them, not tease them.

*edit* I just noticed they have more videos...still not convinced. "I couldn't do this with regular sticks". Mmm, yes with enough practice and knowing the right technique you could.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Administrator

I want to see some real fast and tight double stroke rolls with that baby.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Pioneer Member

We should learn the Buddy Rich hi-hat trick......looks better than a hinged stick and seems useful and involves learning a skill...
Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
We should learn the Buddy Rich hi-hat trick......looks better than a hinged stick and seems useful and involves learning a skill...
Not to mention you can actually play the rest of the kit properly with real sticks, not like the 'slapstick'. If you've seen the videos, you'll notice the funny clickly sound it makes when played on drums as the tip hits.
Just another fad.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Not to mention you can actually play the rest of the kit properly with real sticks, not like the 'slapstick'. If you've seen the videos, you'll notice the funny clickly sound it makes when played on drums as the tip hits.
Just another fad.
Thank you. I thought I was going to be alone in my opinion about this thing :)

I do suppose that it might be useful in some rare situations, but really it's just a one trick pony.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

I think this stick is obscene ........this is a PG 13 forum.

Last edited by aydee; 10-26-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 AM

To all of you negative Slapstik guys out there. First, to answer someones question, I'm not an employee of the Slapstik company. I like this product and offered my help promoting it, I don't get paid to do that. The tip of the stick is made of plastic and attached to the stick with an elastic piece. It is very durable, it takes me few months to break one. I think you're negative approach to the Slapstik comes from the fact that you are trying to compare it to a regular stick. Would you compare a brush to a stick or a mallet to a brush? These are all different tools. Drummers create different textures and grooves with different tools. If you all want to limit yourself to just regular drumsticks go ahead, but why not think about it in a more artistic way and find out the cool things you can do with this tool that you can't do with a regular stick. If 7 time Grammy Winner Paul Wertico says: "This is not a one trick pony" maybe it's worth at least checking it out before dismissing it.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:08 AM

To all of you negative Slapstik guys out there. First, to answer someones question, I'm not an employee of the Slapstik company. I like this product and offered my help promoting it, I don't get paid to do that. The tip of the stick is made of plastic and attached to the stick with an elastic piece. It is very durable, it takes me few months to break one. I think you're negative approach to the Slapstik comes from the fact that you are trying to compare it to a regular stick. Would you compare a brush to a stick or a mallet to a brush? These are all different tools. Drummers create different textures and grooves with different tools. If you all want to limit yourself to just regular drumsticks go ahead, but why not think about it in a more artistic way and find out the cool things you can do with this tool that you can't do with a regular stick. If 7 time Grammy Winner Paul Wertico says: "This is not a one trick pony" maybe it's worth at least checking it out before dismissing it

ok that just sounded like you work for them.the thing is a joke it looks really long and the guy looked stupid using it no ofence hes probaly amazing with a proper stick.also did you guys/girls see the price $15 for a piece of plastic on top of a stick one stick you dodnt even get a pair and i know you only need one but if the slapstick is apparently the same as a normal stick it should come in pairs because im not a huge fan of using two different stick weights.sorry for my rant but gimicks like this annoy me
Old 10-31-2007, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
This is a better solution I think.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM

I have one; I wanted to check it out for myself. It does work well for the fast hi-hat work, but so far that's about all I've been able to do with it and I don't really see much application for it otherwise. I rarely pick it up since I bought it.
Other drummers that come through our studio usually laugh at me when they see it in a stick holder, but I keep thinking maybe I'll stumble onto a use for it.
hasn't happened yet though
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Lots of possibilities, but it definitely takes some time to explore and create. I've been messing with the Slapstik for over two months now and I'm starting to come up with some interesting things ... although certainly not usable in every situation.

I just finished writing a review on the product ... if anyone is interested:
http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/157/29/
Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Doesn't seem to be widely useful to me. A little gimmicky.

And when your only two posts here are unashamed promotion of a product, you have to expect that people will assume you work for that company.