DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Default The Mars Volta - Bedlam In Goliath

I'v just got the new Mars Volta album 'The Bedlam in Goliath'

At about half way through, i'm really enjoying it so far. The album is flat-out rock all the way through it seems. Just wondering if anyone else has this album and what their opinions on it are?

The new drummer - Thomas Pridgen has a more 'Metal' feel than old Jon Theodore, the kick drum patterns show through to me. It works well IMO.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM
millerdakiller

Default Re: The Mars Volta - Bedlam In Goliath

Thomas Pridgen's Drumming is actually more Gospel. See Gospel Chops on You Tube. But I just got this album too. It's unbelievable. I love it. It's a huge step up from amputechture which was a kind of dissapointing follow up to Frances the Mute. This Album, to me, is another completely different musical tangent building off what they've done in the past. Also, if you haven't read anything about the actual concept of this concept album i suggest you read this:

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 02-07-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: repost this quote without the swears please
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Pioneer Member

The Mars Volta is a lot like Seinfeld for me......I seem to be the only person on earth who hasn't "gotten it". I never realized what was so funny about Seinfeld and I've never seen what is so incredible about The Mars Volta that everyone else seems to have found. I don't have anything against them, I just don't see what makes them so great. I've bought every album so far, and, other than the drumming, nothing peaks my interest.

I'm going to get this new album and give it one last, good listen and see if I don't have that epiphany I've been waiting to hit me for the last few years.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Seinfeld. This article sums up to me why Seinfeld is so creepy.

http://www.slate.com/id/2177380/

Never heard much of Mars Volta. Guess I should check them out.

--LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
The Mars Volta is a lot like Seinfeld for me......I seem to be the only person on earth who hasn't "gotten it". I never realized what was so funny about Seinfeld and I've never seen what is so incredible about The Mars Volta that everyone else seems to have found. I don't have anything against them, I just don't see what makes them so great. I've bought every album so far, and, other than the drumming, nothing peaks my interest.

I'm going to get this new album and give it one last, good listen and see if I don't have that epiphany I've been waiting to hit me for the last few years.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Naughty copypasta Miller. Bad copypasta.

You could have at least written a brief summary of the piece. Presumably it's in favour of the new album?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
millerdakiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Naughty copypasta Miller. Bad copypasta.

You could have at least written a brief summary of the piece. Presumably it's in favour of the new album?
what i copy pasted was the bio of the album from the mars volta website, i thought it was a very interesting story that anyone who enjoyed the mars volta would also enjoy. I didn't want to leave out any important content so i just put the whole thing down. Lazy? Probably. Informative? Definately.

Quote:

First you attack the Mars Volta, and now Seinfeld!?!? You are destroying everything that is holy to me. JK. In all serious though, i could see where people wouldn't like the Mars Volta. Often times the lyrics are hard to comprehend(Both what Cedric is saying and what exactly it means) and the music can be very dissonant. But the thing that I really love about this band first and foremost is how radically different it is from anything else I listen to. And I listen to an insane amount of music, especially since i got an iPod. Anyhow, If its not your thing then there's nothing you can do about it. The Mars Volta are like Sushi. Some people love it, and other people wonder why your eating raw fish.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerdakiller View Post
The Mars Volta are like Sushi. Some people love it, and other people wonder why your eating raw fish.
You can tell that just from the mixed reviews this new album's had from critics.

I wouldn't call myself the biggest Mars Volta fan, just becasue i don't listen to some of the stuff of Frances The Mute a huge amount, and Amputechture hasn't got anywhere as much listening time as De-loused. When i first got De-loused, i realised that the sheer power of the music appealed to me, along with cedric's vocal melodies, which really soar in my opinion.

Sometimes the whole thing sounds like a crazy mess, especailly some of Omar's guitar madness, lol. But when they come together again, its amazing.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
millerdakiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhydianjlewis View Post
You can tell that just from the mixed reviews this new album's had from critics.

I wouldn't call myself the biggest Mars Volta fan, just becasue i don't listen to some of the stuff of Frances The Mute a huge amount, and Amputechture hasn't got anywhere as much listening time as De-loused. When i first got De-loused, i realised that the sheer power of the music appealed to me, along with cedric's vocal melodies, which really soar in my opinion.

Sometimes the whole thing sounds like a crazy mess, especailly some of Omar's guitar madness, lol. But when they come together again, its amazing.
yah. I think the real beauty of the music is when they ascend from chaos into some kind of anthemic chorus or verse or something like that. This music is bi-polar. It can be chaotic and dissonant, but then it can become something, like you said, very powerful and yet very beautiful.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

For the most part, I really rate their arrangments and performances live and on record ('seen them twice, both with Theodore). I'm just not down with the lyrics as much.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
millerdakiller

p.s. why is there is no Thomas Pridgen page on drummerworld? I think that would be a good add
Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM

I really loved the atmosphere in Frances the Mute. Not as big of a fan of their two later albums. But I still listen to them, maybe I just haven't "got them" quite yet (which is a process I've found I need listening to "heavy" - content-wise - music like this). In my opinion they're their best doing long, progressive and atmospheric pieces.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't heard all of the new album yet, but the songs I have, I feel are again (like Amputecture) sub-standard for them. Deloused, Frances, Scab Dates, and Tremulant are f***ing incredible. Jon Theodore rocks my freaking socks off and the arrangements are nothing short of stellar.
The last two albums just seem like a sheer w*nkfest, which I sort of link to Omar and Cedric being The Mars Volta while everyone else are just supporting players. I I think giving Omar sole composition duties was pretty detrimental. As for Prigden, yeah I'm sick of those gospel/metal style chops. His overuse of the kick drum is probably the main thing that really hurts the music. Theodore was a lot more sparing with it, so it had a greater impact. He tended to use his hands to play erratic and unconventional patterns, while his bass drum work was solid and tied in with phenominal bass guitar work.
I'd really like to see TMV try and get back to what they were for their first 4 CDs, even if they stick with Prigden. I don't know what that means; more drugs, less drugs, less ancient spiritual sh*t that they seem to get off on, I don't know. They seem pretty messed up people.
But geez, could they put out a record back in the day...
Old 01-31-2008, 06:50 PM

One thing i don't understand is how a lot of people who really liked De-loused, also love Frances, but less so the newer stuff...

I would say that the new album is closer to De-loused than Frances the mute was, just becasue of the fact that the songs are 'songs' rather than 12 minute instrumental 'journeys'.

I agree that after some listening, pridgen's playing doesn't 'fit' into the music in the way that Jon Theodore's did. But, theres nothing we can do about that now, and he does a damn good job...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 PM

URGH!
This band are my favourite band in the whole world. I pre-ordered the album last week, and it said that it was on its way last thursday, so it should have come on Monday... it's still not here.

Im determined to wait, i dont want to download it.

I've heard Wax Simulacra, and i know the general feel of the album, and i think that although its more like De-loused than any of the others, it's still nothing like De-Loused.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM
millerdakiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by volume_3 View Post
URGH!
This band are my favourite band in the whole world. I pre-ordered the album last week, and it said that it was on its way last thursday, so it should have come on Monday... it's still not here.

Im determined to wait, i dont want to download it.

I've heard Wax Simulacra, and i know the general feel of the album, and i think that although its more like De-loused than any of the others, it's still nothing like De-Loused.
if you already bought it why not just download it, you already paid for it.

As for Thomas Pridgen vs. Jon Theodore...

I agree with the general sentiment that John Theodore was a better drummer, but i disagree that Thomas Pridgen does not fit into the band. I think he has a different style that suits the constantly evolving band.

And I also think that if the marsvolta had put out another album that sounded like frances the mute or de-loused in the commatorium, people would have criticized them for being lazy and not expanding thier horizons. I think the best way to approach the new album is to listen to it as if you've never heard this band before. I had the same problem when I started really getting into Pink Floyd. The first Albums i listened to by floyd were The Wall, Darkside, and Animals. The next one i listened to was Umma Gumma. Needless to say i was confused. I couldn't see how the band that made umma gumma would go onto create some of the most beautiful music i had ever heard yet still created the cacophonus mess i was listening to. But when i tried listening to that album again with no expectations of what I thought the band should have recorded, i enjoyed it much more. All this to say that if you expect to hear a certain style or vibe from the Mars Volta you will undoubtedly be dissapointed, they are simply just too eclectic and progressive. Nothing that they put out will ever sound like thier previous releases. And I know this to be true because I own all of thier records and each of them has a totally different feel and vibe. Sorry for the ranting but the Mars Volta is one of my favs and I could talk for hours about them. ha

Last edited by millerdakiller; 02-01-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM

I didnt say that pridgen's beats don't fit the music.

I said that they don't fit into the music, meaning that they don't have the same subtlety in locking into the bass and guitar parts.

Last edited by rhydianjlewis; 02-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

From the stuff I have heard it's a very good album but not as good as the 1st. Thats expected De-Loused is a masterpiece.

As for the old vs new drummer they are both good but I prefer the old guy. A bit more subtle and from what I have heard from Bedlam the old drummer is more dynamic. I still kill for the chops of either of them!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 AM
millerdakiller

Quote:
I didnt say that pridgen's beats don't fit the music.

I said that they don't fit into the music, meaning that they don't have the same subtlety in locking into the bass and guitar parts.
oh. i misinturpreted. my mistake.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Is it known why Jon Theodore is no longer with the band?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM

IIRC it was for medical reasons. I think he had back problems and drumming (or at least touring) was making it worse.

--LG

Quote:
Is it known why Jon Theodore is no longer with the band?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Na, it wasn't medical, to be honest ive only heard Omar and Cedric's view of the situation, but apparently he was really moody and lazy and started saying he hated the sound they were making, and so left/was asked to leave.

Aparently there's an awkward hostility between Theodore and the band.

And i think Pridgen suits the general sound of TMV more than Theodore did.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
One thing i don't understand is how a lot of people who really liked De-loused, also love Frances, but less so the newer stuff...

I would say that the new album is closer to De-loused than Frances the mute was, just becasue of the fact that the songs are 'songs' rather than 12 minute instrumental 'journeys'.
The simple answer is that I prefer listening to "12 minute instrumental journeys" as you put it, more than traditional songs that I may or may not have heard similar things to before.

I am not saying TMV's newer songs are traditional, I am just saying I prefer the atmospheric pieces, with grooving going on between the drums and the bass (while the guitar and/or vox makes chilling or atmospheric sounds). To me, that is where I've had golden moments with The Mars Volta.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Gold Member

Of course it had NOTHING to with the zappa-like fascists omar and cedric are known to be. Not a bad thing, just not everyone's bag i'd imagine.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 PM

I don't know if this will hurt or help anyone's issues with TMV, but they were on Letterman recently:

http://www.youtube.com/v/BH11YFqMoB0&rel=1
Old 02-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Getting a strong John Zorn (Naked City) vibe at the beginning of that Letterman performance.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
I don't know if this will hurt or help anyone's issues with TMV, but they were on Letterman recently:

http://www.youtube.com/v/BH11YFqMoB0&rel=1
Great drumming in the intro to that song. Really impressive. I'd like to see Thomas Pridgen's take on a real classic like Inertiatic ESP
Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 AM

Thomas Pridgen's take on a real classic like Inertiatic ESP[/quote]

I saw the first time they played with thomas in Auckland NZ and was amazed at what he did with the old tracks he added another dimension to them. Still prefer Jon Theodore though.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

I keep relating the mars volta theordore/prigden thing to what happened with AC/DC and Bon Scott being replaced by Brian Johnson.
...and like Theodore, didn't Bon kick so much more arse
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
I keep relating the mars volta theordore/prigden thing to what happened with AC/DC and Bon Scott being replaced by Brian Johnson.
...and like Theodore, didn't Bon kick so much more arse
So true. but is it only cause we get used to the idea's/sound that that original drummer expresses and to hear some newby try to do his own thing that we not used to makes it sound not right? Its like when a band decides to change direction in sound and people hate it cause its "not like there last album". that one annoys me.everyone has to grow and move forward or else where is the creativity?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
I'v just got the new Mars Volta album 'The Bedlam in Goliath'

At about half way through, i'm really enjoying it so far. The album is flat-out rock all the way through it seems. Just wondering if anyone else has this album and what their opinions on it are?

The new drummer - Thomas Pridgen has a more 'Metal' feel than old Jon Theodore, the kick drum patterns show through to me. It works well IMO.
I noticed the use of a double kick which wasn't with previous drummer, more classic, but I've been really enjoying the album so far its pretty easy to listen in compares to previous albums. And its rocking all the way through same ol Mars Volta.

4 stars.

Led
Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowley78 View Post
I noticed the use of a double kick which wasn't with previous drummer, more classic, but I've been really enjoying the album so far its pretty easy to listen in compares to previous albums. And its rocking all the way through same ol Mars Volta.

4 stars.

Led
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I didnt think Thomas Pridgen used double pedal.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I didnt think Thomas Pridgen used double pedal.
Nope he doesn't

Well live atleast, he may well have done on the recording, but he's got a beastly right foot.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 PM

I notice hardly anypone likes Amputecture as much as any of their other albums and it was their only non-concept album.

When i first listen to Bedlam i was kinda over it and thought it all sounded the same.

How wrong i was! I absolutley love it, Thomas has done well, he does a lot of ball tearing fills but not enough grooves.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Bedlam was awesome. It's completely new. Not sure whether the story about the oujia board and the soothsayer's true or not, but this album is probably their noisiest; really love the intensity, and again, they've gone through a whole new style. Kinda reminds me of At the Drive in actually...

Theodore's playing represents Mars Volta, at least to me. The Mars Volta has changed a lot since Tremulant, and honestly I find that the band will never be the same again since Theodore left. Not saying they are bad now(well, Amputechture was dissapointing).

Phridgen has AMAZING chops, really funky as well, however too much complexity, less consistent grooves(therefore harder for air drumming). Theodore's stuff are much more musical, really original as well. Sure he might not have Phridgen's chops but he really gives me the 'Mars Volta' sound, that no longer exists.

So in the end, I still prefer Theodore.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM

there's no way that dude's not using a double pedal.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCgUpBOpiiI

If you can hear what Cedric's saying then that answers it.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volume_3 View Post
Nope he doesn't

Well live atleast, he may well have done on the recording, but he's got a beastly right foot.
My Bad, I listen to the record carefully and its always fast double-stroke kick and not as steady as a double pedal...I like that :)
Paiste Rude and 2002
Ludwig Hardware

Last edited by rowley78; 04-04-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowley78 View Post
wow if this guy also recorded single pedal I'm impressed, I would like to get his technic. The live sound is plausible at a single pedal though.
from April 08 Drum! magazine.

"STAYING SINGLE. The most important myth to debunk about Thomas is that he uses a double pedal on his bass drum. With footwork as frenetic as his, it's an easy mistake to make. "I was gonna use two bass drums on The Mars Volta but Omar was like, 'Don't do it.' I'm like, 'Why not?' And he's like, 'Because they're not gonna believe it's a single pedal.' I'm so into mimicking stuff: like mimicking drum 'n' bass, mimicking double pedal with a single pedal. For the longest time I was trying to play thirty-second-notes. It hella built up my ankle muscle."
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmv View Post
from April 08 Drum! magazine.

"STAYING SINGLE. The most important myth to debunk about Thomas is that he uses a double pedal on his bass drum. With footwork as frenetic as his, it's an easy mistake to make. "I was gonna use two bass drums on The Mars Volta but Omar was like, 'Don't do it.' I'm like, 'Why not?' And he's like, 'Because they're not gonna believe it's a single pedal.' I'm so into mimicking stuff: like mimicking drum 'n' bass, mimicking double pedal with a single pedal. For the longest time I was trying to play thirty-second-notes. It hella built up my ankle muscle."
Yeah I'm into fast single pedal kicking a lot since I'm a kid and still I can't get use to it, I have quite a good ankle muscle but still you get tired so its difficult when you do many takes in studio and also live its not easy after a full set...But yeah listenning to the cd I know which song he mentionned, its double-strokes so its possible he just has to take a red bull. I wonder if he uses speed king; I do.
Paiste Rude and 2002
Ludwig Hardware
Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 AM

im pretty sure he uses a DW 9000