DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 AM

Default 2-legged high hat stands

Recently I bought a double bass drum peddle (iron cobra jr.) and I been having some trouble playing the peddle by my high hat. (I'm blanking on what it is called). I have a 3 legged high hat stand so the right leg gets in the way of me playing the peddle. Right now I have the peddle slid in between the gap between the high hat peddle and the leg, but it is hard to get my food into the gap. Does anyone have any reviews of 2-legged high hat stands, or know if I could successfully turn my 3 legger into a 2 legger? This one popped out at me as a good deal for the price.
http://www.music123.com/Tama-Iron-Co...35255.Music123

I am under a slight budget as I am saving for new drums.

Thanks for the help.
Cavica
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2-legged high hat stands

It is possible to remove the legs from many 3-legged HH stands, and then use a clamp if you want to DUI it (DeathMetalConga has done this). Most high-level 2-legged or no-legged stands should do the job, but I've never used one.

P.S. It's called the slave pedal.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked out DeathMetalConga's HH stand and I think I might try it. It's worth a shot before I drop the money on a new stand. Oh and thanks for the info about the pedal, I thought it was a slave pedal but I wasn't sure.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavica View Post
Thanks for the reply. I checked out DeathMetalConga's HH stand and I think I might try it. It's worth a shot before I drop the money on a new stand. Oh and thanks for the info about the pedal, I thought it was a slave pedal but I wasn't sure.
Good luck on the mod. If you do it correctly, it is reversible and I recently returned my Tama stand back to three-legged status. The nice thing about converting a three-legged to a two-legged is you can always go back to three-legged if you want or need to. But you can't convert a two-legged to three.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
If you do it correctly, it is reversible.
I checked out your mod thread and I'm a little bit confused about how you took off the legs in a way that you can put them back on. Were you able to screw them off or did you have to cut them off?
Thanks for the help.

P.S. Thanks VegasDrummer69 for the review, and I like your one legged snare drum stand. Oh and DMC you have an Awesome looking kit, it truly is a beauty.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I checked out your mod thread and I'm a little bit confused about how you took off the legs in a way that you can put them back on. Were you able to screw them off or did you have to cut them off?
Thanks for the help.

P.S. Thanks VegasDrummer69 for the review, and I like your one legged snare drum stand. Oh and DMC you have an Awesome looking kit, it truly is a beauty.
I used a Dremel to grind off the face of the rivets. The rivets hold the hinges together, so if you remove the rivets everything comes apart. To put it back together, I had to get small bolts with nylon lock nuts.

For my current hihat stand, I removed all three legs and I clamp it to a two-legged cymbal stand, so I have four fewer legs total.

If you don't have a Dremel, you can use a hand file, but it may take you a long time. You can also put a grinding wheel into a drill. You can get either of these for a few bucks at a hardware store. You probably only have to remove two rivets anyway so it shouldn't take long even by hand.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Check out eBay. Lots of hi-hat stands there. I currently have a 3 legger Yamaha single braced stand, with a swivel tripod AND a Tama legless, for when I need lots of floorspace. And both stands combined cost less than the 1 stand you had a link to.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Pioneer Member

The other thing you could do if you are going the clamp route that might work is just folding the legs up and trying that before you go through trying to get the legs off.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

anything to make less room i'm for it so I play on a DW 5500 2-legged hi-hat stand if you find one on e-bay for cheap I suggest getting it mine plays great.

Bonzolead
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM

thanks for the ideas, i'll check out e-bay and see what they got.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Check out eBay. Lots of hi-hat stands there. I currently have a 3 legger Yamaha single braced stand, with a swivel tripod AND a Tama legless, for when I need lots of floorspace. And both stands combined cost less than the 1 stand you had a link to.
Do the ones with no legs stand on their own or do they have to be clamped to another stand?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
Do the ones with no legs stand on their own ... clamped to another stand?
I usually use a Gibraltar SC-EA100 extension tube with a 90% clamp on the other end. And I usually clamp it to my cymbal/tom stand.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
Do the ones with no legs stand on their own or do they have to be clamped to another stand?
A stand with no legs would absolutely have to be clamped to something else - like a cymbal stand or rack - or else it would fall over instantly. The only other option would be to bolt the stand to the floor, which is obviously not practical for most situations.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
A stand with no legs would absolutely have to be clamped to something else - like a cymbal stand or rack - or else it would fall over instantly. The only other option would be to bolt the stand to the floor, which is obviously not practical for most situations.
lol that would be funny if someone bolted it to the floor. I decided on checking around e-bay and just living with what I got for now, all my clamps are about an inch to short for any kind of connection to the closest stand.
Thanks for all the help and advice,
cavica
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Recently I bought a double bass drum peddle (iron cobra jr.) and I been having some trouble playing the peddle by my high hat. (I'm blanking on what it is called). I have a 3 legged high hat stand so the right leg gets in the way of me playing the peddle. Right now I have the peddle slid in between the gap between the high hat peddle and the leg, but it is hard to get my food into the gap. Does anyone have any reviews of 2-legged high hat stands, or know if I could successfully turn my 3 legger into a 2 legger? This one popped out at me as a good deal for the price.

Thanks for the help.
Cavica
Ive had the same problem man. I hate the 3rd leg on my hihat stand. I definitley need to buy a 2 legged one.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Cavica
I actually use this stand from time to time and it is a good stand - I don't think that you will be disappointed. I did cut the pull rod down a little bit, but you may not want to do that and I have extra pull rods, so that didn't really matter.

This stand is defintiley better than the DW hi hat stands, in my opinion. The DW stands don't feel as good as this stand does, from a playing aspect.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the great input and reviews, I'm searching for a stand on e-bay but if nothing comes up i'll probably buy the iron cobra stand, or head down to the local music store and see what they got.