DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Best dampening setup?

What do you guys think the best dampening setup would be for my EC1/ G1 10" with my EC 2/ G1 12", 13" and 16" toms?

So far I have found Aquarian Rings
these evans dampening pads
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...subsearch=true
and these weird gel pads
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...subsearch=true

So what would you guys recommend?

Other ideas welcome.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Your links don't work. So are you trying to take more tone out of your already dampened drums? Firstly go here and read this on tuning if you haven't already. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Secondly don't judge the sound you are hearing from behind your kit, judge it from 15 ft away or better in FRONT of the kit where people really hear it from. The two sound totally different. With proper tuning I cant imagine needing more dampening, your drums are meant to have resonance and tone which it sounds like you are trying to completely eliminate.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
rmandelbaum's Avatar
rmandelbaum rmandelbaum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 2,020
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Konaboy is speaking gospel, you really need to listen.

I am going to say the same thing but expand on it a little bit.

The ring (overtones) you are trying to get rid of is what allows your drums to be heard through the band and out in front. If you kill it you will be lost in the mix and your drums will sound like a cardboard box.

You need to have someone play your drums, go stand out in front of them, move around the room and listen. What you think your drums sound like is most likely not even close.


After a while you will begin to get comfortable with the sound behind the kit that produces the great sound out in front of the kit.


Try it I would bet you will be very surprised.
__________________
DW Collectors
Vintage Superstars
Roland TD-20
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

I am surprised that you feel the need to dampen EC2s, 1s...unless its for recording a specific drum sound.These heads come pre-dampened.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Great answers here. Many drummers are trying to duplicate the sound of recordings in what they hear from behind the kit. Most don't find it.

If you're playing unmiked let 'em ring. They'll sound great from the audience. If you don't like the sound in your practice space throw some studio rings on them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I am surprised that you feel the need to dampen EC2s, 1s...unless its for recording a specific drum sound.These heads come pre-dampened.
I have in house mics for recording and can't stand the studio rings because they always have a way of migrating somewhere. I hate having to edit the ring off of the drum track.

and even without the mics the heads aren't that dampened for me, no idea why.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
Konaboy is speaking gospel, you really need to listen.

I am going to say the same thing but expand on it a little bit.

The ring (overtones) you are trying to get rid of is what allows your drums to be heard through the band and out in front. If you kill it you will be lost in the mix and your drums will sound like a cardboard box.

You need to have someone play your drums, go stand out in front of them, move around the room and listen. What you think your drums sound like is most likely not even close.


After a while you will begin to get comfortable with the sound behind the kit that produces the great sound out in front of the kit.


Try it I would bet you will be very surprised.
I know sound is totally different from the front but we are talking mics here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 AM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Your links don't work. So are you trying to take more tone out of your already dampened drums? Firstly go here and read this on tuning if you haven't already. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Secondly don't judge the sound you are hearing from behind your kit, judge it from 15 ft away or better in FRONT of the kit where people really hear it from. The two sound totally different. With proper tuning I cant imagine needing more dampening, your drums are meant to have resonance and tone which it sounds like you are trying to completely eliminate.
And again the mics come into play.

For the record the links are for those Moongel Dampening Gels, Evans Min-EMAD Tom and Snare Dampener and studio rings.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 AM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Honestly it sounds like a tuning issue between your reso and batter.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Also what are you running your mic's into to record? A mixer and what kind.

Also I don't remember what kind of drums you are working with?
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
xush's Avatar
xush xush is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 211
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

If you absolutely have to dampen, I recommend the Moongels.
I mean, they do make all these things for a purpose- some folks are dampening their heads, for whatever reason. I don't like to mute drums, but on rare occasions have experimented with the Moongels. The nice thing about them is that you can cut them in half or hang most of one off the rim so that only a TINY bit touches the head. I don't know that any of the other systems let you 'dial-in' how much dampening you want like that.

Plus they're really easy to pull off, the most important factor in a dampening product!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Big_Philly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Tightening the resonant head shortens your sustain a bit but also might cause a pitch bend (I might be wrong here). Personally pitch bends make me very unhappy, but it's up to you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Honestly it sounds like a tuning issue between your reso and batter.
It couldn't be because I have tried retuning so many times.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM
somexone75's Avatar
somexone75 somexone75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Also what are you running your mic's into to record? A mixer and what kind.

Also I don't remember what kind of drums you are working with?
I'm running Shure SM57's with the Beta 52 kick into a 12 channel Yahama MG and direct to my multi channel recording system.

The way it is looking is that I will just need to stay with the studio rings, or do the moongels give you the same sound.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Bobhead's Avatar
Bobhead Bobhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 204
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

QUESTION:

Does moongel stick well to coated drumheads?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead View Post
QUESTION:

Does moongel stick well to coated drumheads?
Yes they do.

..............
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:37 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 27.848541, 82.804478
Posts: 14,799
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead View Post
QUESTION:

Does moongel stick well to coated drumheads?
Yes they do. If they get dirty and tend to travel wash them in warm water with a little liquid soap and they are as good as new
__________________
Suum Cuique
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Best dampening setup?

I have EC2 clears on my 10,12,14,16 toms and these are perhaps a bit too muffled as it is. I can't imagine needing more dampening. But I guess if you want that 70s 'whacking a couch' drum sound then try Moongels or Hydraulic heads, or take off the reso heads
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com