DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Mystic

Default Hi hat stand problem

Hey I have a stock pearl hi hat stand that came with my export but there is one problem, the thing that holds the top hat up always loosens and I have to tighten it up again because it always falls back down, is there a way to fix this? maybe buy the drop clutch.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hi hat stand problem

Buy a new clutch... 20202020202020
fourstringdrums

Do you mean that the T Screw that holds the clutch onto the hi-hat rod always loosens up or the nut underneath the clutch that holds the top cymbal on?

I would try some Lock Tite, or if it's just a really cheap basic clutch, upgrade to a new one. We had a Ludwig one strip out on the lesson set at the music store. The cheapo clutches are generally pretty disposable.
Platinum Member

I assume you mean the clutch? There are at least two places for it to get loose: the sidways wing bolt that holds it to the rod, and the bottom inside nut that holds the top cymbal between the felts. Which is it?

What is the problem - you tighten things up but the bolt seems to slip out? Or does the bolt come unscrewed? If it comes unscrewed, you need to tighten things more. If it just works out, then the threads are stripped somewhere. If you have a tap and die set you can fix it, or just get a new clutch as they aren't expensive.

If you tighten things well, this shouldn't be happening. You shouldn't have to use tools to tighten them up enough, though.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
If you tighten things well, this shouldn't be happening. You shouldn't have to use tools to tighten them up enough, though.
Those "stock" clutches that have no adjustment nuts for the movement of the top cymbal are generally pretty lousy. Even if you tighten them down well they still loosen up easily. The best thing is to upgrade to a better clutch.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Mystic

ya I think it is the sideways wing nut that you tighten to the rod is that the clutch? cuse I have tightened it really tight and it just loosens and the hat falls again, but the nut under the hat is fine.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
ya I think it is the sideways wing nut that you tighten to the rod is that the clutch? cuse I have tightened it really tight and it just loosens and the hat falls again, but the nut under the hat is fine.
The whole thing is called the clutch.

My advice is to just spend $15-$20 and buy a new high quality clutch.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
The whole thing is called the clutch.

My advice is to just spend $15-$20 and buy a new high quality clutch.
ok would u suggest a normal one or the drop clutch?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Unscrew, take the wing bolt out, file the end with a metal file, careful not to damage the threads. You want to see shiny steel on the end. Make it flat, no peak or slanted surface.

Lube the threads and try it again. Holding power should be increased.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
ok would u suggest a normal one or the drop clutch?
Do you play double bass? If you do the drop clutch will come in handy. If you play single bass there is no point to having one and you should just get the regular.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Mystic

ya I play double bass, so I guess I'll grab a drop clutch, any suggested brands?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
ya I play double bass, so I guess I'll grab a drop clutch, any suggested brands?
Well if you have a Pearl stand I'd get Pearl, but DW and Gibraltar are fine and both should fit your stand.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Unscrew, take the wing bolt out, file the end with a metal file, careful not to damage the threads. You want to see shiny steel on the end. Make it flat, no peak or slanted surface.

Lube the threads and try it again. Holding power should be increased.
That would work in a pinch, but the threads would strip out again and it would be worse. When threads are stripped, there's really nothing you can do except drill the female part to a larger size, re-thread and get a new bolt. Unless you have the tools to do this, it's best just to spend the money for a good quality clutch, as Fourstrings says. A top quality clutch doesn't cost much and will last for many years.

I have a good quality clutch and I keep a small spare one in my stick bag in case the main one fails during a gig. If it fails, it will be during a gig of course.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

That would work in a pinch, but the threads would strip out again and it would be worse. When threads are stripped, there's really nothing you can do except drill....

ya I think it is the sideways wing nut that you tighten to the rod is that the clutch? cuse I have tightened it really tight and it just loosens and the hat falls

Its not clear the threads are stripped. If the threads were stripped, he wouldn't be able to 'have it tightened really tight.'

The bolt is probably just not holding to the rod. Some clutches slip even with perfectly good threads, could be rust, dirt or uneveness, or even too much lube on the rod itself if the chrome is new/good. Make sure the chrome is not slippery, if it is, wipe clean with alcohol/solvent.

Filing the t bolts end flat and lubing will greatly increase holding power. This is true with any metal to metal contact holding points, if they're not clean, or lubed properly, they won't hold as well as they could.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
That would work in a pinch, but the threads would strip out again and it would be worse. When threads are stripped, there's really nothing you can do except drill....

ya I think it is the sideways wing nut that you tighten to the rod is that the clutch? cuse I have tightened it really tight and it just loosens and the hat falls

Its not clear the threads are stripped. If the threads were stripped, he wouldn't be able to 'have it tightened really tight.'

The bolt is probably just not holding to the rod. Some clutches slip even with perfectly good threads, could be rust, dirt or uneveness, or even too much lube on the rod itself if the chrome is new/good. Make sure the chrome is not slippery, if it is, wipe clean with alcohol/solvent.

Filing the t bolts end flat and lubing will greatly increase holding power. This is true with any metal to metal contact holding points, if they're not clean, or lubed properly, they won't hold as well as they could.
I think you may be right. It isn't clear that the threads are stripped, so it could just be bolt slippage. I hadn't heard of this trick of filing the end of a bolt down to improve stick. He should try this first as the clutch may be perfectly good and just in need of some minor adjustment.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well if you have a Pearl stand I'd get Pearl, but DW and Gibraltar are fine and both should fit your stand.
Got the same stand as you - love it. Anyway, buy a pearl like this one. Dont how much that is being a brit but i have the none-drop version and the washers (black bits on either side of the top hat) make my hi-hat cymbals sing and sound so sweet when opening the hats and playing the hats slightly opened.

Hope that helps.