DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 AM

Default Roland Dilemma. An answer to my dorm room woes?

Hey so I'm gonna be back in a dorm room next year and most likely in apartments for many years there after. There is absolutely no way I'll be able to use an acoustic kit on a regular basis for the next few years and so I've decided on getting an electric kit. My three choices are
1. Roland TD-3SW $1000
2. Roland TD-6SW $1500 <-- leaning towards this one because it has the same module as the 6SXT and its $500 cheaper. It only has a mesh pad for the snare though.
3. Roland TD-6SXT $2000

I was hoping any of you have played these kits or own could let me know what you think of them?
I know the TD-6SXT has got mesh pads for all of the drums including a better snare pad but I wasn't really sure if its worth $500 more. Are the pads from the TD-6SW much different than the TD-6SXT when playing? How similar are they to an acoustic kit?
Its going to take me about 6 months to save up for this so I want to make sure I make a really informed decision. I know I'm ultimately going to have to find a place where I can play these on my own, but If any of you have got some good insight or experience with these kits or any other for that matter, your advice and comments would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Roland Dilemma. An answer to my dorm room woes?

Keep in mind that electronic kits are noisy in their own way. The vibration that passes through the kit travels easily through floors and walls. I play a Td8 which has all mesh heads, whixh are certainly less noisy than rubber pads, but they also have rims, which are acoustically loud when struck.

If you're above ground level you might need to look into getting some dampening tiles to sit the kit on. If you can, go for a kit with all mesh heads, and all rubber cymbal pads. Some of he lower end kits have horrible semi plastic cymbal pads which kind of resemble the response of a real cymbal but are seriously horrible to listen to.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM

The TD6 is most likely about to be discontinued, from what I can tell. Roland introduced the new TD9 kit at NAMM, and it looks to be designed to replace the 6.
that may mean cheaper prices on the 6 soon, if you don't mind buying a new kit that probably won't be supported anymore.

roland td9 specs
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM

How about getting a practice space with a bunch of other people. Im putting my drums a practice with 2 other other bands. Im not in a band though but its 350 a month divided like 8 or 9 ways so ill be paying 25-35 bucks a month and the bands wont even be there much. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Check out the classifieds at www.vdrums.com and any other info you may want on E/V drums.