DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 AM

Default My 4-Piece 7-Piece

Heh, so after a couple years of searching I think I've finally found my ideal set up. Drum-wise, anyway. I always wanted to have that huge kit. They look awesome, and they're fun to play. But every time I set my full kit up (see here), I would eventually get tired of it and change set ups to something smaller, usually a four piece. That's where I felt at home.

So I think I've finally managed to combine my love for the small four piece with my love of cool larger sets. I call it the 4-Piece 7-Piece. Plays like a 4 piece, sets up like a 7 piece. Heh.

Here are some good driver's shots before I turned the kit. I swapped a few cymbals since then, but otherwise it's the same.

And here are a few newer pictures.

Gear-wise, no real updates since my last thread here asides from some sticks/brushes, a little egg shaker, and one of those Aquarian cymbal springs for the china. I'm gonna be buying some new hi-hats really soon, though. And I did try my hand at hand-hammering one of my cymbals. I did it on my 16" B8 crash, and it turned out kind of cool. I hated how it sounded before, so pretty much anything is an improvement.

I used poor tools, didn't plan too well, and was pretty sloppy. But it was my first time and I was excited about just trying it. I'll definitely be more careful and use better equipment next time. I have removed the logos (with toothpaste) and cleaned off the little marking since I took this picture.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My 4-Piece 7-Piece

Cool! Jojo Mayer seems to come to mind, but there's a lot of cool ideas. I like how you can work on playing left-handed or right handed, including switching feet.

How was it hammering the cymbal? Was it a long process or just some slight changes? Also, how hard was it, and how much did it change the size/profile of the cymbal? I'd like to try it someday but not with any of the cymbals I have now.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 AM

Well, I hammered most of the top one day, and then gave it a day or two to sit. Then I came back and hammered a little more on the top and decided to do the bottom. I kind of regret doing the bottom, because I think it sounded better before I did it. The actual profile didn't change much, and the pitch actually got a little higher. And it's trashier, which is sort of what I was going for. I wanted something similar to the Sabian o-zone crashes till I could buy one.

Soundclick here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music (don't mind the other thing in there, it's kinda poopty >.>)
First before, then after.

That recording was done right after I finished, so it sound a little darker now. Not quite as "rough" I guess.

make sure you check out cymbalholic.com for some info about hammering and whatnot ;)
Old 01-14-2008, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalic View Post
Well, I hammered most of the top one day, and then gave it a day or two to sit. Then I came back and hammered a little more on the top and decided to do the bottom. I kind of regret doing the bottom, because I think it sounded better before I did it. The actual profile didn't change much, and the pitch actually got a little higher. And it's trashier, which is sort of what I was going for. I wanted something similar to the Sabian o-zone crashes till I could buy one.

Soundclick here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music (don't mind the other thing in there, it's kinda poopty >.>)
First before, then after.

That recording was done right after I finished, so it sound a little darker now. Not quite as "rough" I guess.

make sure you check out cymbalholic.com for some info about hammering and whatnot ;)
Wow, that's pretty interesting. I do like the change in sound, and I actually also have an old 16" B8 crash... makes me get ideas...
Old 01-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Silver Member

wow that is crazy how much the sound changed pretty cool I might have to get some cheap b8s off the bay and try that
Old 01-14-2008, 03:57 AM
Silver Member

very nice kit man. Love the set-up. The cymbal looks very cool man!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-14-2008, 01:05 PM

sweet setup man.

is that a 20" kick drum?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, thats a real cool, funky set -up! I like it. How come all the guys with the monster kits always have a little nylon string spanish guitar tucked in a corner? The contrast is awesome! : )
Old 01-15-2008, 02:47 AM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
is that a 20" kick drum?
My right foot's got the 20x16, and my left foot's got the 22x18.

@aydee: Haha, that guitars my mom's from when she was like 13 or something. I've tried numerous times to play, but I can never get into it. I guess the drums is my instrument.