DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Default copyright?

ok, so i've got me a problem. yesterday i've made a remix of Velvet Underground's tune, which i put on MySpace (i also put it on Putfile, and there was no problem). today i found out that my MySpace account was banned from uploading files, because of me breaking the copyright law.

tell me now, i understand, that copyright is something that protects you from not earning money, for something you created, but i think it should not limit people, who try to make a tune popular again, by CREATIVE covering. maybe i'm wrong, but i think that most of today's artists (take Stanton Moore for example. i covered "Doo Rag" and put it on youtube, then i mailed him to ask if it's ok, and there was totally NO PROBLEM) wouldn't care if some amateur dj-wannabe remixes their tunes just for fun, and not earning money. so i totally don't believe that Lou Reed (or Andy Warhol awakened from his grave) would have any problem with this. don't you think?

so what do you think should i do now? who should i contact, to become a decent guy, and not some criminal who steals people's intellectual property?

Last edited by DogBreath; 01-14-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: copyright?

a video of me playing a groove out of tommy igoe's book was deleted from youtube for copyright...thought it was a bit silly
Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Ah there's legality and morality! and sometimes the legality just doesn't make sense.

Some artists have provided a route to remixing tracks on their own sites, you download their track add bits remix and then upload. Hell they even comment on your efforts. Other artists are a little more precious about their work. The legality though is it's their property so they have the right to decide.

I'm suprised that Youtube would delete video's of you playing along to Tommy Igoe. Perhaps they are being a bit over sensitive. Now they are owned by the big boys expect more of the same.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
percusboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty View Post
a video of me playing a groove out of tommy igoe's book was deleted from youtube for copyright...thought it was a bit silly
Something else must have been going on. Tommy Igoe encourages people to post videos of themselves playing with the material from the play along. He has a section of his website devoted to it and actually has peoples videos on his website. I submitted a video myself recently...

I saw in a recent search on youtube that people who posted videos of tommy playing the stuff off his DVDs himself was deleted and that I can understand. That's copyrighted material.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
fourstringdrums

A friend of mine had his video upload privileges taken away on MySpace because he made a video as a love note to his wife or something and put a Snow Patrol song on it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Wow, this is really getting ridiculous. I do understand that a website can write and enforce rules any way that they want, but maybe they could be a bit more clear about it up front? My advice would be to write to MySpace customer service, explain that it was an honest mistake, and ask if they could please reinstate your uploading privileges. There's not much more than that you can do. (I don't have a MySpace account so I'm assuming that this rule is not clearly explained)
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
A friend of mine had his video upload privileges taken away on MySpace because he made a video as a love note to his wife or something and put a Snow Patrol song on it.

It's not unreasonable to see that as a copyright violation, after all, any kind of clip you put on myspace, or any other part of the internet, is ultimately a public broadcast whether you mean it to be or not.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
It's not unreasonable to see that as a copyright violation, after all, any kind of clip you put on myspace, or any other part of the internet, is ultimately a public broadcast whether you mean it to be or not.
Well that's the same situation that kacperivo is in. He remixed a song and put it on MySpace.

But I don't see the problem is the song used is already on MySpace on either the official page or one of the hundreds of fan pages put up.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Wow, this is really getting ridiculous. I do understand that a website can write and enforce rules any way that they want, but maybe they could be a bit more clear about it up front? My advice would be to write to MySpace customer service, explain that it was an honest mistake, and ask if they could please reinstate your uploading privileges. There's not much more than that you can do. (I don't have a MySpace account so I'm assuming that this rule is not clearly explained)
you know, from what i've read about their rules - ok - they were right, there was something written there about covering songs. so yes, i've made a mistake and i'm fully aware of it.
i just think, that general copyright laws, are getting sicker with time. personally if i would be a famous artist, i wouldn't mind if people would creatively use the loops from my songs, or even the whole melodies, unless they labeled them as their own - that's not fair. when i loop a song, i always place the name of the composer or at least artist who played it, just to be honest.
now i realise there is a written law, which i've broken, but come on, should everything on this world become so formalized? i wouldn't be surprised if they'll eventually come up with a law, which will require us to get a permission (or buy!) for using names of famous people in private conversations...

i'm definitely FOR 'copyleft' policy, it seems the most sensible way of dealing with the problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Well that's the same situation that kacperivo is in. He remixed a song and put it on MySpace.

But I don't see the problem is the song used is already on MySpace on either the official page or one of the hundreds of fan pages put up.
the song i used, was recorded from youtube. some private person put it there... so, 'all people were created equal' right? ;)
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperivo View Post
the song i used, was recorded from youtube. some private person put it there... so, 'all people were created equal' right? ;)
So I just had a thought... if this argument is over it being a public broadcast, if I'm driving down the street and I have my windows open and I'm blaring a CD and others can hear it, doesn't that count as a public broadcast and therefore this "copyright" infringement?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
you know, from what i've read about their rules - ok - they were right, there was something written there about covering songs. so yes, i've made a mistake and i'm fully aware of it.
i just think, that general copyright laws, are getting sicker with time. personally if i would be a famous artist, i wouldn't mind if people would creatively use the loops from my songs, or even the whole melodies, unless they labeled them as their own - that's not fair. when i loop a song, i always place the name of the composer or at least artist who played it, just to be honest.
now i realise there is a written law, which i've broken, but come on, should everything on this world become so formalized? i wouldn't be surprised if they'll eventually come up with a law, which will require us to get a permission (or buy!) for using names of famous people in private conversations...

i'm definitely FOR 'copyleft' policy, it seems the most sensible way of dealing with the problem.
It's usually not the artists who have the problem, although some do. It's the record companies who feel as if their pockets are being robbed by others getting to hear the music for free instead of buying the album.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
So I just had a thought... if this argument is over it being a public broadcast, if I'm driving down the street and I have my windows open and I'm blaring a CD and others can hear it, doesn't that count as a public broadcast and therefore this "copyright" infringement?
now listen to that... ZAiKS a Polish organization comitted to collecting copyrights of Polish artists, came up with a 'great' idea. they wanted barbers, and taxi drivers to PAY for PLAYING MUSIC in barber shops and cabs... can you imagine that? if it's not sick, what is it? :)

and yeah, you're right, that's not artists (generally, and if yes, they're usually oversensitive, and/or having some problems with their self-esteem or feel underrated :P) but recording companies. that's who pointed me as a 'law-breaker' :). i think Lou Reed would be cool about it... we'll see. or no ;)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
fourstringdrums

There was a thread that got deleted really quickly (I think I was the only one who responded to it, that's how fast it lasted) that linked to an article about the RIAA wanting it be illegal to even copy music you BOUGHT to an mp3 player or your own computer for personal use.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

No, because there has to be a consideration of intent - playing the music inside a private vehicle would be deemed private use. A myspace page would be deemed public and placing the track on that page is an intentional act. Shops, barbers, taxis are all commercial premises, and so a licence should reasonably be required. Fair enough, if you earn money from what you do on those premises, why should you be allowed to enhance your environment with the creative works of others without paying?

Last edited by jonescrusher; 01-15-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
No, because there has to be a consideration of intent - playing the music inside a private vehicle would be deemed private use. A myspace page would be deemed public and placing the track on that page is an intentional act. Shops, barbers, taxis are all commercial premises, and so a licence should reasonably be required. Fair enough, if you earn money from what you do on those premises, why should you be allowed to enhance your environment with the creative works of otherw wothout paying?
i didn't exactly made myself clear on the matter of barbers and taxis... they were supposed to pay not for playing bought cd's, but RADIO. do you consider this fair?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i didn't exactly made myself clear on the matter of barbers and taxis... they were supposed to pay not for playing bought cd's, but RADIO. do you consider this fair?
Ah, I see. No definitely doesn't seem fair. The artist is receiving royalties from radio play so would seem like they're trying to get paid twice.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Seems like if this keeps up, someone could have their video taken off for playing a G chord on a guitar because the first Chord in a song has that as its first chord.

Psh.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

All I can say is we better be careful not to cite anyone else's arguments for our case - this is a public conversation!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Technically it's copyright violation even if you aren't making money from it. I think the website deleting it is really just them trying to protect themselves from any liability more so than they are trying to punish you.

I cam across a music profile on MySpace once in which the artist/band claimed to have written the posted songs. They were blatantly obvious (to me at least) as Portishead samples... which weren't even much different from the original Portishead songs they were sampled from. It basically sounded like someone had sampled their songs, then used those samples to make the songs again... without any credit to the original band.

I used to do a lot of sampling in the past, but I backed off since the whole micro-management of copyrights began around the birth of Napster. I began to focus on software synths instead. You can create some cool sounds, especially in Reason, without messing with sampled loops or whatnot. It's actually not hard to get proper rights to use stuff like that though. Look up the Harry Fox Agency. I'm not sure if it applies overseas, but it's still worth a look.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Seems like if this keeps up, someone could have their video taken off for playing a G chord on a guitar because the first Chord in a song has that as its first chord.
George Harrison beat you to it way back in 1976. He wrote this after being accused of copywrite infringement because of a song of his that had chords similar to another song.

This Song

This song has nothing tricky about it
This song ain't black or white and as far as I know
Don't infringe on anyone's copyright, so . . .

This song we'll let be
This song is in E
This song is for you and...

This tune has nothing bright about it
This tune ain't bad or good and come ever what may
My expert tells me it's okay

As this song came to me
Quite unknowingly...
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
fourstringdrums

John Fogarty was in a similar situation years ago because of copyright infringement on a song HE wrote. Apparently "Old Man Down the Road" sounded a lot like "Run Through the Jungle" and a record label that he was on and fighting with sued him for copyright infringement. He won by playing both songs in court to show that they sound nothing alike.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
John Fogarty was in a similar situation years ago because of copyright infringement on a song HE wrote. Apparently "Old Man Down the Road" sounded a lot like "Run Through the Jungle" and a record label that he was on and fighting with sued him for copyright infringement. He won by playing both songs in court to show that they sound nothing alike.
WHAT?! AHA!!!! Brilliant.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percusboy View Post
Something else must have been going on. Tommy Igoe encourages people to post videos of themselves playing with the material from the play along. He has a section of his website devoted to it and actually has peoples videos on his website. I submitted a video myself recently...

I saw in a recent search on youtube that people who posted videos of tommy playing the stuff off his DVDs himself was deleted and that I can understand. That's copyrighted material.
The "something else" may have been the fact that I said that i hadn't actually bought the book, just got it off the net or something. Im not actually sure if i said that, and there's no way to check now. And (although they can't know this) I got the groove off the tommy igoe website anyway.