DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

Default new beater, new problem.

So, I've played felt beaters all my life (not a big ball, one like its all plastic exept for the part that strikes the drum), And I recently baught Danmar red hard wood beaters to go along with my Gretsch Renown (I had to order the renown, they had none in cherry burst). I love the sound they give (I tried them at the store), but I hate the response.

Anybody know how to fix the response of the beater, without loosing power or sound? Maybe I shouls get an Aqaurian kick pad, or the danmar metal kick pad? I have a double pedal Iron Cobra, And I still have the origonal beaters (plain rubber, no felt).
Old 01-12-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Re: new beater, new problem.

glad you've decided on a kit ;)...You can try to adjust the settings on your pedal. You can also lower the beater a tad. Or you can simply get used to it. It;s a heavier beater and if anything, you will just be training your calves. I love wood beaters. I have a yamaha wood beater. It's smaller than the danmar i think,, lighter, but still acheives a great sound. I'd suggest them. But you could just get used to your danmars.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Ajusting the pedal will help fix the rebound of when the beater strikes the drum? I've been fiddling around with it, and it still kind of "bounces" or like "booom-fddlmph"
Old 01-13-2008, 10:19 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Ajusting the pedal will help fix the rebound of when the beater strikes the drum? I've been fiddling around with it, and it still kind of "bounces" or like "booom-fddlmph"
Yes. Adjusting the beater length will change the velocity at which the beater swings and will affect the power you get out of it and the speed.

Do you lay your beater into the head? If you do, you should try and bring the beater off the head. You will get a fuller tone out of the drum and take the tension out of your leg while playing. Usually beater fluttering can be controlled with technique.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

since you got a wood beater...you might go ahead and get a Denmar kick pad. cause that wood beater will tear the head up!
good luck with your problem!
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY