DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 AM

Default Here's my setup: Ludwig Accent Custom. Any setup ideas?

I had to link them to photo bucket 'cause the size was kinda large. Please leave your comments and any setup ideas, since I'm always looking to change my setup to optimize playing.

Meinl MCS 20" Ride
Meinl MCS 16" Crash
Meinl MCS 14" Hi-Hats
Meinl Classics 16" China
Meinl Classics 18" Powerful Crash
Zildjian ZBT 13" Hi-Hat that I use as a splash (planning to replace for a real splash real soon)

And the drums are your standard 12", 13" toms, 16" floor tom, 22" bass drum and 14" snare, all stock equipment.

Pearl P122TW pedals

And currently using Vic Firth Metal N sticks. I also like Promark 2B Shira Kashi Oak with nylon tip, but the VF sticks are a good 1" longer and kinda like the "extra reach". Now if there is a stick the size of a Metal N in oak I'm sold!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IM000905.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IM000910.jpg
Old 01-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Here's my setup: Ludwig Accent Custom. Any setup ideas?

Flatten drums. (98798798725 people after me will say this)

Bring the cymbals down. (35729358.2 will say this)

How the heck do you touch your hihat pedal? (Not many will notice this at first lol)
Old 01-12-2008, 02:10 AM
Silver Member

New heads and everything crazyhorse said
Old 01-12-2008, 02:15 AM
fourstringdrums

How long have you been playing? The kit, no offense, looks rather thrown together. It's important to think of ergonomics when you set up. Putting things in a spot where you can easily reach them without having to move to high or too low, or out too far. In theory you should be able to keep your arms at one distance from your body and just swivel your hips to reach everything.

Read this article that I wrote: www.handidrummed.com/articles/comfort.php

I've made a diagram of how I would arrange everything. But first, a few tips:

1. Put your hi-hat into position. Why are you not using the pedal? Put it either on the left of your slave bass pedal or to the right if you don't want to compromise where the hi-hat cymbals are placed. Try and have the angle of the hi-hat pedal match the angle of the slave pedal. Also make sure you put your pedals on the floor evenly in a comfortable position like your feet would be on the floor if you were sitting in a chair.

2. Lower and flatten the toms a bit and straighten them out so they're not pointing at each other.

3. Bring the crash cymbals especially down a bit.

4. Raise your snare a bit. I generally like mine about 2" lower than my first tom.

But of course, this will depend on the tips in the article I linked.

I put the cymbals in the following order.

China, Large Crash, Splash, Small Crash, Ride.

The China is positioned lower than the large crash and the small crash is higher than the splash and the ride.

You could also:

Put the small crash on the left and the large on the right

Put the china to the right or left of the ride and above it.

....just a few ideas. I don't think I missed anything.

But see how everything is ergonomically placed and arranged so you pretty much only have to swivel your hips left or right to hit everything. No moving back or forward, or up or down drastically.
Attached Images

Last edited by fourstringdrums; 01-12-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:39 AM

All right, thanks for the input, dudes. Here are some things that I should've said at first.

I've been playing for about 6 months. I play open handed, that's why I have the hihats in such a weird position. I tried to place them more to the left in a traditional position, but an old injury shoots pain from my wrist to my shoulder when trying to play that way. So, I moved the hihats there, where it's comfortable, and put the pedal that way so it doesn't get in the way, and since I always use the hihats in a closed position, I put the pedal like that. I want to play the hihats, though. I've heard of remote hihat pedals, perhaps that can help?

I'll try the moving the toms around, but doesn't that mean they will be further from each other? I have them that way because it makes it easier to play rolls back and forth. I'll try nevertheless.

Actually, I have never tried other snare positions.

And yes, I'll get new heads soon. Perhaps some Evans EC-2 or something.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendecahedron View Post
All right, thanks for the input, dudes. Here are some things that I should've said at first.

I've been playing for about 6 months. I play open handed, that's why I have the hihats in such a weird position. I tried to place them more to the left in a traditional position, but an old injury shoots pain from my wrist to my shoulder when trying to play that way. So, I moved the hihats there, where it's comfortable, and put the pedal that way so it doesn't get in the way, and since I always use the hihats in a closed position, I put the pedal like that. I want to play the hihats, though. I've heard of remote hihat pedals, perhaps that can help?

I'll try the moving the toms around, but doesn't that mean they will be further from each other? I have them that way because it makes it easier to play rolls back and forth. I'll try nevertheless.

Actually, I have never tried other snare positions.

And yes, I'll get new heads soon. Perhaps some Evans EC-2 or something.
If you look at the diagram, the toms will still be right next to each other. But you're straighten them out so they're not angled at each other like that. The distance between them won't change, just the angle. Also if you angle them up and lower them it should be easier to play because the drums will be closer together as far as the height goes. The angle you have them out now is going to cause you to wear out the heads faster and will cause you to have trouble playing because your sticks won't be paralell to the head. I like to have my toms almost as flat as the snare, but not quite.

For the hi-hat, why don't you use the pedal? You really should because it will give you more tonal and groove options. Don't sacrifice the pedal for the sake of positioning. By looking at the pictures you should be able to put the hi-hat in the same spot, just turn the pedal around and put it to the left of the slave bass drum pedal. You'll have to work it around some stands and maybe move it to the left a tad, but it should work. Seeing as you play open handed, lowering the hi-hat may help with your pain. Most open handed players only have the hi-hat about 3-4" above the snare. Believe me, I know what it's like to have to alter a set up to deal with a physical problem. But yes, a remote hi-hat would be perfect for you. Or even a Gibraltar Ultra Adjust hi-hat:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ase?sku=448994

It will serve the same purpose and be a bit more compact and cheaper. With a remote you have to mount off a snare stand and that can be a pain sometimes. Also they are usually more expensive. The Pearl remote is great, but has an 8' cable which is overkill for you. The DW is over $300. There is a Tama and a Yamaha but they aren't as good as the Pearl or DW.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

very nice stuff man. Looks great!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 AM

Well, I did some moving around, lowered the cymbals, and straightened out the toms. I now understand what you're saying, fourstringdrums, I just had to actually sit on the kit and try it firsthand.

Regarding the hihat, I think the Gibraltar stand should work wonders. I tried to put the stand in position so the pedal sits right next to the slave pedal, but when I moved my arm a little further to the left to play the hihats like that, my wrist just started hurting and my hand cramped up, and I knew it wasn't going to work. I like to use the pedal, so the logical thing to do is to get one of those stands.

I'll post a picture update tomorrow to show the changes. Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Do doctors know why you have your pain and if there is anything that can be done about it?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

That sounds like a serious pinched nerve, maybe? I hope there's a solution for you as this can't make drumming too enjoyable sometimes!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:39 PM

All right, in my most humble opinion and thanks to your help, I think it looks much better now:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IM000918.jpg

and this is a last minute idea that popped up, the china placed right above the ride:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IM000922.jpg

and regarding the pain issue, no, I haven't looked into it, since it only happens when playing the hihats as previously discussed, it doesn't happen in any other activity. Anyways, I put the pedal in a position where I can really make it work, while being confortable as well. It'll do until I get some cash together for a Gibraltar or perhaps a remote, we'll see.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Hows the slave pedal working out for you, being on the left side of the hh pedal? Is it too far a reach, are you able to play both the slave and the hh pedals well together?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendecahedron View Post
All right, in my most humble opinion and thanks to your help, I think it looks much better now:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IM000918.jpg

and this is a last minute idea that popped up, the china placed right above the ride:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IM000922.jpg

and regarding the pain issue, no, I haven't looked into it, since it only happens when playing the hihats as previously discussed, it doesn't happen in any other activity. Anyways, I put the pedal in a position where I can really make it work, while being confortable as well. It'll do until I get some cash together for a Gibraltar or perhaps a remote, we'll see.
Much better, though I still would pull the splash and small crash in towards you a little bit so they line up more with the large crash and the china. Remember, try and think of how you have the cymbals as being in the arc of a circle so all your have to do is swivel your hips right or left to hit everything.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 AM

Well, the slave pedal is not a problem at all. The hihat pedal is more of an issue, since it's right in the middle of the action, and close to the snare stand, but it's the best way to make it work.