DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Default New Yamaha DTXTREME IIIs

For those who are interested in the world of ekits, here is Yamaha's new offering. DogBreath is going to test drive one at NAMM. He will review and report, but till then, what do you think? Joey

http://www.dtxperience.com/vidplayer/DTX_Player.html
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Yamaha DTXTREME IIIs

Looks like they took some button/display/styling queues from the Roland TD-20. It's a vast improvement from the Extreme IIs.

I really like the new e-cymbals, all 3 zone now... Hopefully they will drive the price down of the [what will now be] the older PCY130 and 150... I have a 130S and love it.

I wish they went with mesh heads but that is probably going to infringe upon Roland patents and such. The one HUGE edge over Roland that this and the older IIs have is the ability to sample. Amazing.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM

I'm with Trip in thinking that this might promote competition and bring down some prices. (Well, we can at least hope, can't we?) Look forward to the reviews and thanks for posting.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
For those who are interested in the world of ekits, here is Yamaha's new offering. DogBreath is going to test drive one at NAMM. He will review and report, but till then, what do you think? Joey

http://www.dtxperience.com/vidplayer/DTX_Player.html
I think it looks really cool. id like to have an ekit because i dont get home until late. I wonder how much its going to cost. The cymbal pads look good too.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Very cool:

Sampler
Rhythm Gate,
Songs and Editing
Ball mount's and rack

Lame:

Groove Check (almost pointless, since you have to be looking at it)
Dimpled and grooved HH pad. E Drums are supposed to be easier to play, dimples (and hammer marks) don't make accurate playing easier, they make it harder.

Green screen is old already, a different colour would have been nice, or how about colour options for the screen via a button?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Lame:

Groove Check (almost pointless, since you have to be looking at it)
Hey, Les, have to tell you that the way I use it, the Groove Check function has turned into one of the very best features of the ekit, for me anyway. I use it at every rudiment practice session, though I don't really watch it continuously. The way I use it is to glance up at it every so often to check and see how far off the beat I am, usually looking for a -0-.

So, say I'm playing 30 minutes of singles strokes at 140 bpm's and have the Groove Check set on 16th notes. (By the way, it is adjustable, and you can "check" whatever you desire, aside from seperately setting the click, which is also adjustable.) So, after a few minutes, I can look up and if it is at no greater than +/- 1 or 2, I'm on track. Usually I'm looking for a -0- when I look at it, at my comfortable speeds anyway. The feature divides whatever you are playing into +/- 40 units, so it is possible that if you are way off, it will say +/- 40. Finally, also providing a running average score during the session, it also provides a total average so you can see how you performed overall.

The last 10-15 minutes of the more difficult tempos, I am at -8 (or worse!), and I then realize I am way too slow and tired to move up to the higher limits. Somedays are better than others, but if I can play a speed at +/- 1 or 2 at the end rating, I know I am making progress.

One other feature that I don't use often enough is that it can track across the triggers. So, if you wanted to check your play on tom rolls, or with a cymbal and snare for triplets or whatever, it will do it.

At least for me, I find it an extremely useful tool for developing speed and endurance ... and for determining when I move up in tempos. Probably similar to what is on most of the clicks offered nowadays, I suppose. Anyway, just wanted to point out why I like, and how I use, the feature. Joey

Last edited by joeybeats; 01-11-2008 at 04:24 PM.