DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 AM

Default Craviotto Diamond Series 5.5x14

I picked up my Diamond Series snare today, an extravagant purchase to be sure, but totally one that has satisfied my desire for a heavy shell brass drum a la the 20s Black Beauties. I took an extended lunch to pick this up, having arrived several weeks early, and have only gotten a few minutes with it so far today but it's beautiful. Here's a couple shots for those interested.

Last edited by Chonson; 01-13-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Pulled sound link as the file's gone.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Craviotto Diamond Series 5.5x14

Awesome drum.

Tell us more about it. Weight? Seam? all the good stuff.

Really nice!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Looks great, lets get a sound clip!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Looks great, lets get a sound clip!
Last line of my original post.

Freddy: No scale so I couldn't give a weight. Though it's advertised as "heavy brass", heavy is of course a relative term. For a 5.5 metal drum, it's got beef. It's not like it's got a cast iron core or anything.

I didn't see any obvious seams, but for all I know they're polished or buffed down. I haven't done anything with the heads and am in a kind of dark space at the moment so it's hard to say. I can check in the beginning.

The bearing edges have been soldered or filled in some way, so what would be the flange on a regular drum like a Supra, for instance, appears solid from the underside. This weekend I will have the opportunity to take more pictures; for now I just have my phone's camera on me -- and it wanted to focus on the bottom head, not the inside of the drum.

Very little adorns the drum cosmetically -- no badges, no grommet on the air vent. Just the Craviotto logo engraved and the drum's serial number below it. The strainer is great; and visually the drum almost feels like it's got a warm glow to it -- compare it to the stand below and you'll see it's got a much warmer color.

In the next few days I'll be getting more in depth with it but I just thought I'd share the early pics and my first three minutes with the drum on the sound file. :)
Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like it's spun... wouldn't have a seam in it. Very nice!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

That is really beautiful. Take care of that one, she's a keeper.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
Last line of my original post.

Freddy: No scale so I couldn't give a weight. Though it's advertised as "heavy brass", heavy is of course a relative term. For a 5.5 metal drum, it's got beef. It's not like it's got a cast iron core or anything.

I didn't see any obvious seams, but for all I know they're polished or buffed down. I haven't done anything with the heads and am in a kind of dark space at the moment so it's hard to say. I can check in the beginning.

The bearing edges have been soldered or filled in some way, so what would be the flange on a regular drum like a Supra, for instance, appears solid from the underside. This weekend I will have the opportunity to take more pictures; for now I just have my phone's camera on me -- and it wanted to focus on the bottom head, not the inside of the drum.

Very little adorns the drum cosmetically -- no badges, no grommet on the air vent. Just the Craviotto logo engraved and the drum's serial number below it. The strainer is great; and visually the drum almost feels like it's got a warm glow to it -- compare it to the stand below and you'll see it's got a much warmer color.

In the next few days I'll be getting more in depth with it but I just thought I'd share the early pics and my first three minutes with the drum on the sound file. :)
Thank you for the info. I've been hearing a lot about these drums and have an interest in one. I have two of Johnny's steam bend wood drums and just love them.

The throw off is made by Trick. IMO the best there is.

I'll look forward to more pictires. Especially the bearing edges.

Thanks again for the info.

Hey Tim,

Could you explain the "spun" process. I know the Supras are made that way, but never really understood how that's done.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful snare, Craviotto is just about as good as it gets. I'm almost wishing I would have grabbed one of these instead of my Black Beauty!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
The throw off is made by Trick. IMO the best there is.
I've got the Dunnett throw off on a few drums and for me, that's the one I judge against. This was my first experience with the Trick and it definitely compares favorably. The action is very smooth. The tensioning adjustment is definitely nice as well. I can't say I prefer one to the other yet but the Trick is definitely not out of place on this drum.

I've always wanted one of Johnny's drums and this is just an unbelievable entry into his universe. I'm definitely interested in checking out one of his wood drums in depth at this point and this is definitely impacting my considerations for the next kit (although at those prices, it'd definitely be just a four-piece).

zambizzi: I wouldn't ever give up a Black Beauty. It's a different sound, to be sure. Both are great. This drum, to me is basically what I've been searching for -- warm yet sharp, sharp and focused but something you can get to open up with some off-center hits. That crack of the Black Beauty is legendary though, and such a great sound.

That being said, this is going to be a fixture for me for a long time. Any manufacturer would be wise to start imitating this kind of construction and capitalize on the 20s heavy brass drum mania that can be seen all over ebay. (Don't know how this compares in the same room to a 20s NOB but I know that's what this drum was going for).
Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
zambizzi: I wouldn't ever give up a Black Beauty. It's a different sound, to be sure. Both are great. This drum, to me is basically what I've been searching for -- warm yet sharp, sharp and focused but something you can get to open up with some off-center hits. That crack of the Black Beauty is legendary though, and such a great sound.
It's funny, I came in to practice and caught this thread. It motivated me to re-tune my BB (haven't touched it in a month, had it tuned way too high) - and I love it again.

You're right, it's a keeper! However the stock throw-off, to be perfectly frank, is junk.

I own a Craviotto steam-bent snare and the construction is beautiful (sound ain't bad either!) - so again, this one's gotta be a beauty.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 AM

That snare is absolutely beautiful brother. I realllly appreciate drums of such quality (don't we all?). I agree about the Black Beauty: never get rid of it. These two are simply in that elite class of the perfect snares along with a few others. I must admit though, I'd love to get my hands on a snare such as yours. Congratulations and please don't let any three year olds spill grape juice on it as this happened to me not too long go. It is just fine though, thank god!

Last edited by thatoneguy; 01-08-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Vote for Obama!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Wow. I've been looking at these drums for a while now. Glad to see someone picked one up. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. I've got one of the Limited Edtion Maple snares and I love it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they making only 50 of those?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlujan View Post
Wow. I've been looking at these drums for a while now. Glad to see someone picked one up. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. I've got one of the Limited Edtion Maple snares and I love it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they making only 50 of those?
The maple ones are beautiful, I would do one of those in a heartbeat. Definitely need to let the credit card cool down first though.

Correct, there are only 50. I ordered mine back in early December/late November and I have #21/50.

Three year olds won't be in the same room as this drum. :)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Individual looking snare, and it sounds as if it would fit well with a wide range of musical genres. Great snare
Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Silver Member

what a beautiful snare drum! looks just amazing!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p