DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

Default Bass drum pedal help!!!!

I have a really nice pearl eliminator double pedal. For some reason though, it feels really stiff and heavy. I've tried messing with the spring tension, but I still can't get it to more of a "springy" feel. I'm mechanically declined by the way. I'm thinking about spraying some WD-40.
Suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 01-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Bass drum pedal help!!!!

I had the same problem...u just have to fool around w/ it for awhile...it took me about a week after getting it to get the perfect feel out of it. Just keep making ajustments..
Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYdrummer09 View Post
Just keep making ajustments..
Hate to sound like an ol' stick-in-the-mud, but I think that's part of the problem with some of these newer pedals today.
They're too adjustable.
Remember, everytime you add another adjustment, its just one more thing that can fail.
Simple, reliable pedal is all anyone needs.
I've been using the same Camco by Tama chain drive since 1990 (started using those pedals in '87) and its been great.
Stomp the crap out of it, or play "nicely". Works anyway you cut it.

...and it was only $80! (new)

Elvis
Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Pioneer Member

DON'T hit it with WD-40 it's not a good lubricant. I doubt it's got to do with the chain or lubrication it's in the adjustments which there are plenty on there. Have you tried swapping out the cams? Keep in mind you need to give yourself time after each adjustment to allow your feet to adjust to the new setting. The other thing could possibly be that this may not be the right pedal for you. (which I hope isn't the case)
Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 AM

Elvis is right. There are so many adjustments, it makes it very difficult to find the optimum.
I have a Trick and a BOA and it just takes a long time. Keep plugging away at it. For anyone getting a new pedal with all these options, I'd suggest just playing the factory setting for about a week with no adjustments. There's probably a reason it's a factory setting. You might find you really like it that way and will save a lot of time and hassle.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

@ All new drummers.

Drummers that have developed great pedal technique can easily take 'many' hours adjusting their pedals. Literally set aside a whole afternoon if you want to expect good results, especially is you don't know exactly what your looking for.

Should it take hours? It all depends on how fast you can make the adjustments. Its not easy and its not fast, be patient/positive and expect to 'find it'.

If you're an mechanical futz, try and get a friend to help (even pay them(?)), this makes it way easier and more fun, you 'dial in' easier b/c you're not up and down off the stool expanding your arteries with blood pressure (does that make me sound old?), it actually affects all. Keep the mood, hire the dude- or the dude'ett.

NO- WD 40! It dries out to quickly. Clean FIRST, then use a lube w/teflon (ptfe) in it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
fourstringdrums

I had an eliminator and I owned it for a few years. I went through all the cams, played with the settings until the cows came home and it still had a more resistant feeling than other pedals I've used. Eventually I got rid of it. It very well could be once you've tinkered enough with it that the pedal just doesn't agree with you in terms of feel.