DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Big_Philly

Default Remo ambassador snare side head

I have bought a Remo ambassador snare side head a while back to replace my stock tama resonant head which was damaged. My snare drum sounded a little bad the past few days so I took it apart and analyzed it. The batter head was fine, the drum was okay (though the snare drum seems to be of less quality than the rest of the kit; the top bearing edge seemed to be slightly inconsistent and it was slightly out of true (not the snare bed, the top side!)), but the resonant head was all but torn apart. It seems to have stretched out in unnatural ways while in use. Now I do tighten the lugs around the snare butt and strainer less than the other lugs, which might account for the problem... but did I just have the rotten luck of having a poor quality head or should I just keep away from thin heads like that and put a clear ambassador batter head on the resonant side of my snare drum?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Remo ambassador snare side head

It's unclear from your post whether your observations that the snare-side head was "all but torn apart" is about the original head or the replacement Ambassador. I don't know what heads shipped with your snare drum, but stock heads are often of poor quality.

No, don't use a batter head on your snare side; it's way too thick, you'll have poor snare response (sensitivity).

Snare-side heads are very thin. An Ambassador snare-side is considerably thinner than a regular Ambassador head, and a Diplomat snare-side is thinner still. Snare side heads need to be thin to work properly. Part of the reality of this is that you have to be careful of it, it's fragile, and you even have to take care when mounting the drum to its stand.

And because a snare side head has to conform to the snare bed it will deform and look pretty odd when you take it off. Your tuning the tension rods near the snare bed a bit lower should make no difference. But it may be that your dissatisfaction with the snare drum's sound has to do with tuning issues; you might try searching here for tuning advice.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Big_Philly

Thanks for the helpful post drumtechdad! It's the ambassador that seems to stretch unnaturally. It makes a lot of sense that it's merely because it's adapting to the snare bed. Tuning is not the problem anymore, I can nearly always get the sound I want. What might have been a dumb thing to do is that I put the head back on the drum at a different angle (I had a good excuse for doing that at that time but don't remember what it was now); now it will conform to the snare bed at another location as well. The snare sounds very nice at the moment though. Do you think I should try to get it back in the original position (i.e. the way I used to put it on before I noticed it was deformed)?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Do you think I should try to get it back in the original position (i.e. the way I used to put it on before I noticed it was deformed)?
No, if the sound is ok for you now, don't change it and put any other pressure marks in the film.
The more the film is stretched and conformed to the snare bed in different areas, the more chance of not being able to get a good sound from the drum because it's not going to conform to the bearing edge around the rest of the drum like it's supposed too.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Could have been a bad head too. I recommend the Evans Orchestral resonant heads (the hazy ones) It's funny because the ones called Hazy Resonant are clear. I had one on my snare for years.