DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Micing up my drumset

Hey, I play a 7 piece Gretsch kit in a band... Lately we've been planning to record some of our songs. We are kind of in the entry stage at the moment (though I feel we got potential) so these recordings will be mostly for display and "demo" purposes (allthough we would really like to get the best sound possible). I therefore bought two mics, one "bass drum" mic and a higher tones type (I really don't know the exact specs but think they are Shure mics).

I realized later that this probably is on the short side, however I got a bit of a cash problem so gonna have to make it with what I got.

My main question is how would you set up these mics? We are kind of DIYing this whole thing atm, so any help is appreciated. Obviously I'm thinking the bass mic goes on the front of the bass drum, and maybe hang the other mic overhead, but over my snare/hi-hat? Or over the toms? Or mount it lower between some drums?

Additionally, if anyone have any general tips for recording or mixing, feel free to share..!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Micing up my drumset

Ideally for control, each drum should be miced individually as well as a stereo pair overhead. Some people also mic the hi hat, ride or both.

On the cheap, you can get by fairly well with just 3 mics.... 1 in the bass drum and 2 for overheads. The BD mic is best to be a large diaphram cardioid dynamic mic. Most major manufacturers offer mics specifically designed for BD, AKG D112, Senheiser E602, Audix D6, Shure Beta 52 are some examples all around $200 street.
For overheads a stereo pair of condenser mics is best. This is where it could get pricey, starting at around $400 for the pair.
After these 3 mics, the next would be a good old SM57 or something similar on the snare. This would allow you to mess around with the snare sound individually later, EQ, reverb, compression, whatever.

Most important, start with good drum sounds. good drums, tuned well. The best mics in the world can't make a poor sounding set sound good.

-Wil