DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
drumr0's Avatar
drumr0 drumr0 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gordonsville, Tn.
Posts: 655
Default A pet peeve with bands on TV

I have always had a little pet peeve about watching a band on tv that is not actually playing, maybe the singer is singing, but the rest of the thing is just a soundtrack and the other guys are "playing along." I know there are reasons for this, but once again, to me, all it does is highlight the singer, which is a shame.

I was watching the Dick Clark count down last night and thought the bands were actually playing. The sure give away to me is that the drums aren't miked. These drums were miked, but once again the other give away happened..The drummer was playing the ride cymbal, and the hi hat is what I was hearing. The Jonas Brothers drummer messed up one bar where he should have been doing a tom breakdown instead of a hi hat/snare beat.

I know this is kind of dumb, but I enjoy watching people actually play music, and if they mess up, that just makes them human!
__________________
My Kit- DW--Paiste--Sabian--Gibraltar--http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30002
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 14,751
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

I guess when its live and its 20 degrees outside, and you can't have a do-over, recordings are necessary. One of the best faked ever was the National Anthem at the Super Bowl here in Tampa. Not only was Whitney Houston lip-syncing but so was the Florida Orchestra. Supposedly one of the best anthems ever, "is it live or is it Memorex?" Live TV has its limitations.
__________________
Follower of the Famularo Philosophy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
I have always had a little pet peeve about watching a band on tv that is not actually playing, maybe the singer is singing, but the rest of the thing is just a soundtrack and the other guys are "playing along." I know there are reasons for this, but once again, to me, all it does is highlight the singer, which is a shame.

I was watching the Dick Clark count down last night and thought the bands were actually playing. The sure give away to me is that the drums aren't miked. These drums were miked, but once again the other give away happened..The drummer was playing the ride cymbal, and the hi hat is what I was hearing. The Jonas Brothers drummer messed up one bar where he should have been doing a tom breakdown instead of a hi hat/snare beat.

I know this is kind of dumb, but I enjoy watching people actually play music, and if they mess up, that just makes them human!
Yeah...it is a pet peeve of mine too, but you gotta remember that most people don't play music, and more specifically most people don't know the difference between a ride and hihat. It's sad I know, but I still enjoy it.

The Jonas Brothers ROCK!!! I wanna meet them one day.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

I only caught Carrie Underwood last night and I thought the drummer was playing. Though I spent most of the time trying to figure out what model Gretsch kit he was playing so I wasn't paying as much attention :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
burnthehero's Avatar
burnthehero burnthehero is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Big Tex
Posts: 1,183
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

It's amuzing. I think the funniest/coolest example of this was when The Who did "My Generation" on the smother's brothers comedy hour. Watching Keith Moon just cracks me up. And then the explosion at the end is the icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Fassa Albrecht's Avatar
Fassa Albrecht Fassa Albrecht is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
Posts: 31
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

I'm also a technician as well as a drummer/bassist and I'm telling you, live mic'ing and set-up is one of the hardest things to get right. The studio may not have good accustics, the sequencing may be too hard to do live, the amps might not be strong enough to do it (or too powerful)...there are a whole host of things that could be the problem.

A good example of this is a live version of Subculture done by New Order. The room they played in was tiny, with bad accoustics and some very bad equipment. The result was a disaster- the bass rattled around the room, the cymbals sounded tinny and the vocals were terrible,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Pete Stoltman's Avatar
Pete Stoltman Pete Stoltman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 788
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

I'm old enough to remember seeing a lot of bands on shows like American Bandstand and others that had artists lip synching to their songs. It was painfully obvious even to non-musicians that these guys were just there "window dressing" to hype song sales. It was really funny watching drummers try very hard to not actually hit their drums or cymbals.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 AM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

I understand the challenges, but it is a pet peeve of mine as well. I mean, when I go to see a band play live at a bar (or wherever), I don't really expect it to sound like the album. I want the rawness. I want the mistakes. I want to know that these are actually musicians doing their thing.
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
drumr0's Avatar
drumr0 drumr0 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gordonsville, Tn.
Posts: 655
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
I'm old enough to remember seeing a lot of bands on shows like American Bandstand and others that had artists lip synching to their songs. It was painfully obvious even to non-musicians that these guys were just there "window dressing" to hype song sales. It was really funny watching drummers try very hard to not actually hit their drums or cymbals.

I remember this too. I think Soul Train did the same thing. I remember a band on AB where the drummer just had his drums lying around on the stage and no cymbals. I believe he was sitting on the bass drum just hitting around on stuff during the song, maybe it was Adam Ant or someone like that..funny stuff.
__________________
My Kit- DW--Paiste--Sabian--Gibraltar--http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30002
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
drumr0's Avatar
drumr0 drumr0 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gordonsville, Tn.
Posts: 655
Default Re: A pet peeve with bands on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
I understand the challenges, but it is a pet peeve of mine as well. I mean, when I go to see a band play live at a bar (or wherever), I don't really expect it to sound like the album. I want the rawness. I want the mistakes. I want to know that these are actually musicians doing their thing.
AMEN!! 20202020202020
__________________
My Kit- DW--Paiste--Sabian--Gibraltar--http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30002
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com