DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Default New heads

I just bought a new Gretsch Catalina Club Rock and I'm thinking of what kind of heads to get for it. It comes with G1 Coated batters but the resonant ones will need to be replaced soon. The toms are 13x9, 16x16, 18x16 and I was thinking about maybe those new EC1s. Anybody have those? If not I'll probably just do G1 Coated top and bottom. For the 26" Bass drum I'll probably get a EQ1 Coated.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: New heads

I have a Sonor Force 3007 in 13x10, 16x16, 18x16, 24x17.5 (yes 17.5...Sonor is weird like that).

I use Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors on the toms for that nice open, modern, clear tone. Clear Powerstroke 3 over Ebony or Smooth White Powerstroke 3 for the bass drum and Coated Ambassador over Ambassador Snare Sides for all my snares.

This is a very common and versatile setup. Although, lately I have been pondering trying out Coated Emperors for a more traditional sound. Not too sure I want to go that route after the last attempt with Coated Emperors. I found them way too dull, not much tone, very slappy, and muted.

Of course this is all subjective, it's all up to the sound you want.

Do you want the traditional big sized Bonham sound? Or a tight punchy modern sound?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Recalling my past quality issues with Remo and hearing a bunch more recently, I'm not sure I'm ready to chance those again. I will be making my Mapex kit the modern sounding one and using the Gretsch one for a vintage, old school jazz/classic rock sound.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM

I have been using Remo for 15 years with maybe 1-3 bad heads in that entire time. One was a 12" Clear Emperor, the other a 14" Renaissance Ambassador, and the other a buzzy 22" Powerstroke 3.

That is over a span of 15 years. I have never experienced the elusive coating problem, the buzzing or dead 2 ply heads, etc...

I also find the new black box/larger logo heads to be of the highest quality.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm just saying the last batch of Remos I ordered had 2 defective heads. But I think these were older models (white boxes). I always preferred the sound of Remos though. In high school, we would order Remo heads for the marching drums and would often have a few defective heads in an order. I'm just not sure if I want to risk it again. If you get a good Remo, it's fantastic, but it seems a big risk.