DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Bass drum practice pad help?

People of Drummerworld.com -

I'm looking for advice on any good double-pedal practice pads. At the moment, I'm running my Axis X double pedal along the side of my bed for silent practice (being in a suburban household with a family, I don't get a lot of actual kit practice). It's fine for practice purposes, but that's it.

I hopped back on my kit today, and was aghast at how poorly my feet handled the rebound from the bass drum head, making even the simplest of broken double-bass patterns sound dodgy.

So that said, anyone here willing to suggest me some double-pedal practice pads that are able to emulate the feel of an actual bass drum head to a degree? The only two I've heard of so far come from Pearl and Gibraltar, but I'm keeping my options open at the moment.

For those who will say "nothing beats the feel of a real bass drum for practice" - READ MY POST above: I don't get much kit practice (a couple of hours every day or two if I'm lucky), SO I need a pad that will emulate the feel of a bass drum as close as possible.

And yes, I already searched the forum for a thread on this, and am not about to necropost a 4-year-old thread, so I made this one.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Bass drum practice pad help?

I have the Pearl and I do experience a different feel once I get back to the kit. I believe the Gibraltar is supposed to feel more like a real bass drum head because there is an air channel in the pad as opposed to being just a block of foam rubber.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM

How about fabric heads on your drums? I know that the mesh heads for the Pearl Rythm Traveler kit are available separately.

Assuming your "problem in suburbia" is noise and not space, how about putting the cloth/mesh batter on your actual bass drum and practicing truly silently?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Here you go - this is a great product. The Gibraltar BD Practice Pad.

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store...ctice-pad.aspx