DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #881  
Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM
tak22thegoat's Avatar
tak22thegoat tak22thegoat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 389
Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker? I've never heard him in +44, but in his blink182 days, I would think, what the heck is he doing? In other hands, Tre Cool, the drummer for Green Day, puts in great beats and fills, not to technical, etc, and has great control over his fills. For example, he can go fast on his tom fills but with power and even strokes.

Travis Barker has great hands, power, creativity, but from what I have heard in Blink182, he sounds like another drummer on YouTube playing metal, and fast punk songs.
But keep in mind that without Barker, a lot of young drummers now wouldn't be playing they are now, go on youtube and look for blink182 covers. most of the people that have posted a video has other videos, and on their other videos you can clealry see that there is a Travis Barker influence in their some where.
__________________
When in doubt ROLL! - Gene Krupa
Reply With Quote
  #882  
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
I don't understand how the internet, with the world at everyone's fingertips, is developing more and more people who have no idea what they're talking about.
Becuase information, or should I say MIS-information is so readily available that people are not able to distinguish true from false. We live in a society that promotes independent thinking. A natural outcome of that type of society are its members believing that what they personally think or know is the only truth out there. Most of these opinons or thoughts have never been given the time of day to be researched to see if they hold any weight or truth. So thier opinions are stated as facts when truthfully they are only the dross of ingorance.

Whoops, this thread is about Travis Barker not society.
Reply With Quote
  #883  
Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Kirsh's Avatar
Kirsh Kirsh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: argentina
Posts: 40
Default Re: Travis Barker

the thing that makes me mad is non drummers giving opinions about who is the best drummer, i dont get into discussion of topics in which i am ignorant. and theres where he got his fame and "success" as musician 3 riff and 2 4. also i dont think he has achieved his goal as an artist because he has lots of money ,imo the career of an artist never ends because theres always something more to learn or do better and for wht i have seen he is the same drummer he was 4 years ago.

the videos arent impressive at all, anda some say he is fast? jojo mayer can get to that speed with one hand, also doesnt need to make and effort and start hitting harder. but the thing is he doess not need to do that stuff to get our respect
music is about creativity and innovation no offense to t b fans i but have seen his stuff too many times before his name was first spoken.
Reply With Quote
  #884  
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM
t_rav's Avatar
t_rav t_rav is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Travis Barker

I just want him to film himself playing for 1 hour.. without music..
then we could see and discuss about how good he is.. or hes not..
__________________
+44
Reply With Quote
  #885  
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
hailhail's Avatar
hailhail hailhail is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 32
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsh View Post
the videos arent impressive at all, anda some say he is fast? jojo mayer can get to that speed with one hand, also doesnt need to make and effort and start hitting harder.
I agree. Travis Barker is a good drummer, no doubt about it, but nothing special.
Reply With Quote
  #886  
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 PM
t_rav's Avatar
t_rav t_rav is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Travis Barker

he did in fact learned and played in jazz bands in the beggining folk
__________________
+44

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #887  
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rav View Post
he did in fact learned and played in jazz bands in the beggining folk
Doesn't mean he's Elvin Jones. One of my first experiences was playing in a jazz band, doesn't mean I'm good at jazz at all, I'm not. I really can't imagine him playing in that context well, show me him doing it well and I'll believe you, but nothing has made me aware of his 'jazz credentials'.

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #888  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 AM
bart60's Avatar
bart60 bart60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 58
Default Re: Travis Barker

My opinion of travis is that his strong sides are
1. putting up a good show (you can tell he likes to drum) and
2. he is perfect for his type of music.
His technique is not the best, he could be much faster, and I haven't heard him play anything but alternative punk/punk rock or however you want to label blink 182 and +44. Too bad imo, since i think (and I believe many of you will agree with me) that a good drummer is a versatile drummer. But I actually really like travis because of the above stated strong sides.
Reply With Quote
  #889  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rav View Post
he did in fact learned and played in jazz bands in the beggining folk
Travis Barker played ocassionally in his high school jazz band. That's his own statement BTW. This is certainly not the same as implying that he had some formative years playing in professional jazz settings as his press agent tried to push along.

Most American high school jazz bands merely flirt with jazz, and are in most cases pep bands with a big band instrumentation. That's not to say that there aren't some serious ones that play actual jazz, but they represent the minority, and they are all amateur. For you to make such a connection would be the same as another high school band kid using his tympani rolls on 1812 Overture to demonstrate a legitemate background in classical music.

As I've said before Barker didn't start a lot of this talk. He had a press agent who used to create legend from the smallest crumb of truth, knowing that his fanatics would run with it, whether it was tue or not. This compares with him being famously credited with drum corps experience, when he only once merely talked about trying out, before joining a rock band instead.

Man, people would be a lot more interested in discussing this issue with you, if your obsessive fanaticism for your hero was not so obvious.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #890  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Jon Cable's Avatar
Jon Cable Jon Cable is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lincoln,uk
Posts: 557
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Travis Barker played ocassionally in his high school jazz band. That's his own statement BTW. This is certainly not the same as implying that he had some formative years playing in professional jazz settings as his press agent tried to push along.

Most American high school jazz bands merely flirt with jazz, and are in most cases pep bands with a big band instrumentation. That's not to say that there aren't some serious ones that play actual jazz, but they represent the minority, and they are all amateur. For you to make such a connection would be the same as another high school band kid using his tympani rolls on 1812 Overture to demonstrate a legitemate background in classical music.

As I've said before Barker didn't start a lot of this talk. He had a press agent who used to create legend from the smallest crumb of truth, knowing that his fanatics would run with it, whether it was tue or not. This compares with him being famously credited with drum corps experience, when he only once merely talked about trying out, before joining a rock band instead.
Does that make Travis a jazz snob??? LMBFAO!
__________________
'I Wanna Be The Man With The 50lb Hammer'

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #891  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
foursticks's Avatar
foursticks foursticks is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 990
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rav View Post
he did in fact learned and played in jazz bands in the beggining folk
A high school jazz band and being taught by a jazz drummer does not make you magically able to truly play jazz. Without meaning to sound like a jazzsnob here, but its not even just with jazz - any genre takes thoughtful listening and study to truly be able to play it.

Oh, and in the least offensive way of putting this - you really need to act your age when posting as you can come off as a stubborn 10 year old, who isn't quite getting his own way.
I understand he's your hero, but just because someone critises him doesn't mean they're wrong. Someone people say Elvin Jones sounds like someone falling down some stairs - I can see why they would think that, but to me he's an incredible emotional player with incredible creativity, technique and passion. I would think that they didn't understand his playing, or appreciate his style - which is fair enough. Sorry to go off topic, but try to see different opinions. Matt once said that people with gigantic opinions who get angry at those with different ones, don't go down well in this place - too true.
__________________
"You can play a shoestring if your sincere." - John Coltrane

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #892  
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Does that make Travis a jazz snob??? LMBFAO!
But seriously Jon, it is interesting that so many of these guys seem to go out of their way to get the word jazz into their resumes, even if they have to stretch like a rubber band to do it.

But again, I still think we have to be fair to Travis Barker. I don't think he transmits all this misinformation about himself. All that apparently happens is a press agent leaves a bread crumb and guys like t_rav just run with it.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #893  
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Jon Cable's Avatar
Jon Cable Jon Cable is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lincoln,uk
Posts: 557
Default Re: Travis Barker

Wouldn't it be entertaining if t_rav was actually Travis himself??? just come on here to see what we all thought of him??
I think he's the greatest t_rav; the best jazz drummer, the best pop-punk drummer, the best snare drummer, the best tympanist, the best one-man band....etc
Actually I think he's a pretty good drummer who was extremely lucky to be in a band that became huge! He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!!
__________________
'I Wanna Be The Man With The 50lb Hammer'
Reply With Quote
  #894  
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
BringoDingo BringoDingo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the terminator's state
Posts: 43
Default Re: Travis Barker

"He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!!"

word
Reply With Quote
  #895  
Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,185
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Actually I think he's a pretty good drummer who was extremely lucky to be in a band that became huge! He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!![/font]

Not wanting to appear a fanboy (God no), but from what i've learned of his history, he pulled himself up out of a life of emptying dustbins by woodshedding as hard as many other world famous drummer. It's because he practised his craft that he got to a standard higher than 'pretty good', and through talent more than luck joined Blink One Hundred and Eighty-two band (of course turning out to be by far the most talented member)

Don't get me wrong, the music he makes is on the whole boring and repetitive to me, but through the direction of a teacher, I got a chance to break down some of his licks and aspects of his playing, and saw that they require great amounts of speed, stamina and technique to pull off. Don't underestimate his ability as a drummer because of the music he makes.
Reply With Quote
  #896  
Old 12-22-2007, 05:14 PM
chopsy's Avatar
chopsy chopsy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 63
Default Re: Travis Barker

I liked his work with the Aquabats, pre-182. If anything, I bet he was chosen to drum for blink because of the chops he displayed with the Aquabats
Reply With Quote
  #897  
Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Jon Cable's Avatar
Jon Cable Jon Cable is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lincoln,uk
Posts: 557
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Not wanting to appear a fanboy (God no), but from what i've learned of his history, he pulled himself up out of a life of emptying dustbins by woodshedding as hard as many other world famous drummer. It's because he practised his craft that he got to a standard higher than 'pretty good', and through talent more than luck joined Blink One Hundred and Eighty-two band (of course turning out to be by far the most talented member)

Don't get me wrong, the music he makes is on the whole boring and repetitive to me, but through the direction of a teacher, I got a chance to break down some of his licks and aspects of his playing, and saw that they require great amounts of speed, stamina and technique to pull off. Don't underestimate his ability as a drummer because of the music he makes.
I wasn't criticising him bro; just making the point that anyone who is in a band that huge is extremely lucky, sadly musical talent seems to have no proportionate relation to musical success. Not that TB or Blink weren't talented guys, BUT we all know musicians who blow our minds, but don't achieve popular success.
__________________
'I Wanna Be The Man With The 50lb Hammer'
Reply With Quote
  #898  
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
chaoticharmonyIL's Avatar
chaoticharmonyIL chaoticharmonyIL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 13
Default Re: Travis Barker

i dont see anything special in travis barker's drumming. he only has one cool beat ive heard (adam's song) and the way that it's just chords in that song means that he has total freedom to play whatever he wants. other than that, everything ive heard him play sounds exactly the same. the drum solo i saw him do would hardly qualify as a drum solo from anyone else, it's just a couple extended fills and a very simplistic beat. I dont get why you guys all think hes so great...
Reply With Quote
  #899  
Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 PM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

I think Travis is an excellent drummer, and deserves all the credit he gets. I'm not saying he's THE best drummer, but I like his style. I'm a big fan of his drumming in the "early" years of Blink-182. Over all Travis is a good drummer, and with out a doubt, one of the best "punk-rock" drummers out there.

~ Remoking ~
__________________
Life's waiting to begin...
Reply With Quote
  #900  
Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 PM
wad wad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Default Re: Travis Barker

travis is well talented hes so complex and fast!
Reply With Quote
  #901  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Vinnysimmo Vinnysimmo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gislaved, Sweden
Posts: 297
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post
travis is well talented hes so complex and fast!
Fast? Yes.
Complex? No.
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
cavica cavica is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 130
Default Re: Travis Barker

I think he's one of the better dummers out there, probably not the best, but still very good. His playing style fits his music, and some of his beats are really cool. I like his work with the Aquabtas and Boxcar Racer the most.
__________________
Drums- Mapex Saturns, Cymbals- Zildjian, Sabian. Sticks- Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
wad wad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Default Re: Travis Barker

what snare does he use!
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
petelawless petelawless is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 14
Default Re: Travis Barker

[quote=wad;401772]travis is well talented hes so complex and fast!

If I had a penny for every time I've heard someone say that......I just don't get it. He obviously has very loyal fans but I don't think many of them are drummers...
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
matty_boy matty_boy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: Travis Barker

Hey everyone i read every post on this topic so far and all i really have to say is: respect.
im only 17 years of age and i've only been drumming for 5 years but as a musician i respect all types of music and all other musician goals and acheivments and i respect travis barker for his acheivments, sure he may not be THE BEST drummer but clearly he's not the worst or he would not be where he is today. as i said before im only 17 years of age and the rest of you may not care about what i have to say but i think as musicians we have an obligation to encourage and support all others in there musical goals. I myself am into more hardcore metal or some of you may know it as screamo, but just because im not so much into travis' genra of music i do respect him for what he can do. I'm still learning and trying to expand my skill and i may want to take my drumming somewhere some day but i have to say after reading some of the posts on this forum im somewhat discouraged. So if you'll take anything from what i've said take respect because its the laest you can give to support someone.
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 AM
ErNeStIn_182's Avatar
ErNeStIn_182 ErNeStIn_182 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valencia(Spain)
Posts: 15
Default Re: Travis Barker

Well i have been playing drums for quite some time (years) and maybe it is because i am 16 or what, but i find travis very talented, he is my favourite drummer and will always be..

i know he sometimes gets boring because in his solos he usually does the same thing but i like it, he doesn´t have a great set and with what he has, he does lots of cool things!

maybe my opinion is not so valid as some of you here, obviously lots of you know more than me about drums, techniques and stuff and from your point of view travis is really bad but just respect people who think he is the best or simply like it a lot(like me).

Besides Travis being my favourite drummer, i know he is not the best.. that's known by everybody, there is LOTS and LOTS of drummers out there more talented than him, we all know it.
Reply With Quote
  #907  
Old 03-22-2008, 05:56 AM
indiadrummer's Avatar
indiadrummer indiadrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 191
Default Re: Travis Barker

I used to be an avid rock fan, but now find myself more interested in technical death metal and some jazz (I prefer drums that take thinking if you know what I mean). I also believe Travis is overrated. I have some friends who say that "Oh my god Travis is so good". But looking at his solos, all I see is some crazy ape bashing his drums as hard as he can. Of course, he's playing rock, but he has no class at all. He just thinks fast chops and loudness can substitute feel. Travis Barker seems like one of those drummers who can only play loud music, when in reality the best musicians can play absolutely anything thrown at them. This is just my opinion, and I respect anybody else's thoughts about Barker. I just think he's a terrible example of overrating.
Reply With Quote
  #908  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 AM
votard votard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 52
Default Re: Travis Barker

I used to listen to blink all the time, and mainly listened to the same song over and over again because of travis' drumming. He really adds a lot to blinks music. To me, its just basically a drum song with some appealing power chords and bass and voice(I don't find tom's voice annoying, although i do like marks singing even more). But I thought he was "supergood" before I had even really heard of bonham, peart, or portnoy. But his style is hard to imitate(for me anyways).

even though this thread is about just travis barker, doesn't anyone think blink could have been "more punk"/better if they had stuck with Scott Raynor? I really liked his style, playing d-beats and have having really simple, but smooth fills. They way blink played songs with him were better imo. Not so much pop punk. I think they way he played(please correct me if I'm wrong) is called crustpunk. Simple, but appealing to me.
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 AM
jesusfetusis6 jesusfetusis6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: America
Posts: 40
Default Re: Travis Barker

i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to. that aside, he's good but it's mostly just hype, recently he's seemed to have done drum remixes for hip-hop songs (i.e. soulja boy, pharrell williams) and it's very apparent that mostly all of the rap/hip-hop community (with the exception of ?uestlove) does not drum, (i don't know anyone who considers loops or drum machines drumming) though i'm not saying that may or may not be changing.

bottom line, it's all hype from people that don't know anything about drumming. is he talented? yes. is he the best? probably not. is he the fastest? no (look up gabe serbian - though he's probably not the fastest either). it's all just b/s imo, and i'm tired of hearing about the guy.
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,185
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusfetusis6 View Post
i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to. that aside, he's good but it's mostly just hype, recently he's seemed to have done drum remixes for hip-hop songs (i.e. soulja boy, pharrell williams) and it's very apparent that mostly all of the rap/hip-hop community (with the exception of ?uestlove) does not drum, (i don't know anyone who considers loops or drum machines drumming) though i'm not saying that may or may not be changing.

bottom line, it's all hype from people that don't know anything about drumming. is he talented? yes. is he the best? probably not. is he the fastest? no (look up gabe serbian - though he's probably not the fastest either). it's all just b/s imo, and i'm tired of hearing about the guy.


Why are you surprised there are so many comments? He's the drummer in one of the biggest bands in the world nad he has a brash, instantly gratifying style of playing. Nothing more, nothing less. Barker and what he does has nothing to do with the hype he attracts.
Reply With Quote
  #911  
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
luigic luigic is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: Travis Barker

to all you morons talking down about travis or saying he's a mediocre and overated drummer, you clearly don't know much.
travis is easily one of the best drummers of the last decade if not thee best.
i'd like to see half you drummers do what he can do.
have any of you people seen travis actually play without music just some of his freestyle's?
he's basically capable of doing anything on the drums.
and he's proved it if any of you people are educated about him.
you guys are complete idiots trying to say he's just ok.
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Resok's Avatar
Resok Resok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusfetusis6 View Post
i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to.
You've hit the nail on the head.
I 100% agree with you, it's like you see drumming videos to famous songs on youtube, and the people are doing amateur mistakes such as not playing semi quaver bass drum notes properly, and it's basically a technical sham, but people who don't play the drums still go "Wow, nice stuff" or "YOU'RE AS GOOD AS JOEY JORDINSON" (When it's a jazz video)
Reply With Quote
  #913  
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 AM
selerky's Avatar
selerky selerky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_boy View Post
Hey everyone i read every post on this topic so far and all i really have to say is: respect.
im only 17 years of age and i've only been drumming for 5 years but as a musician i respect all types of music and all other musician goals and acheivments and i respect travis barker for his acheivments, sure he may not be THE BEST drummer but clearly he's not the worst or he would not be where he is today. as i said before im only 17 years of age and the rest of you may not care about what i have to say but i think as musicians we have an obligation to encourage and support all others in there musical goals. I myself am into more hardcore metal or some of you may know it as screamo, but just because im not so much into travis' genra of music i do respect him for what he can do. I'm still learning and trying to expand my skill and i may want to take my drumming somewhere some day but i have to say after reading some of the posts on this forum im somewhat discouraged. So if you'll take anything from what i've said take respect because its the laest you can give to support someone.
thanks, matty_boy.

luigic, I've never seen Barker play his freestyles, whatever that is. (I am very new to drumming, I only started last year, so any enlightenment will be accepted w/thanks)
What i've seen, though, he is superfast, so he picks up lots of non-drumming fans (incl. me) ,and he has power, he just uses it for fast licks hither an' yon. While this doesnt take away from the music, it's not really talent/creativity. I like Blink 182, but frankly, he hasn't come up w/ too many really good beats.
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Matt-a-tat-tat Matt-a-tat-tat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Travis Barker

if you want to hear fast AND complex. Peter Wildoer of Darkane and Brann Dailor of Mastodon. I don't think about Travis Barker's playing. I think more about how Travis Barker is decidely NOT punk in any way shape or form. Thinking about his drumming right now after reading some of the posts here: I agree. The guy's all speed and no substance. It's the same old boring idea that fast equals good. Speed Ringo Starr up to 160 bpm or something and even he'll sound as sick as Travis Barker. (note: I like Ringo Starr).

Last edited by Matt-a-tat-tat; 03-27-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM
ihitdrumz's Avatar
ihitdrumz ihitdrumz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 64
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post
travis is well talented hes so complex and fast!
lol.
to be honest i dont even think hes that fast
and hes not complex..
__________________
me likey
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Vinnysimmo Vinnysimmo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gislaved, Sweden
Posts: 297
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigic View Post
to all you morons talking down about travis or saying he's a mediocre and overated drummer,

you guys are complete idiots trying to say he's just ok.
Well done, how very mature of you, calling people idiotic and moronic because they don't agree with you.
Great.
__________________
"The point of a warmup is to warm up, not throw yourself into boiling water!"
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,185
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihitdrumz View Post
lol.
to be honest i dont even think hes that fast
and hes not complex..

For some reason i'm compelled to look in on this thread. His speed is undeniable, and i say that as someone who can't stand the music he makes or the sound of his playing. Having briefly studied his style of playing, I can safely say he's done a lot of practice to be able to do what he does.

Even if you dislike what he does I recommend trying to transcribe and break down some of his parts and try to play them. 9 out of 10 amateurs will struggle to get a lot his parts up to speed, but is worthwhile to get an idea of where your chops are at, whatever style you play.
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM
OCDP_Austria OCDP_Austria is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: Travis Barker

Hey guys!!
you must forgive me when i write something wrong in english....I'm fourteen and from austria ;)

Travis barker is my favourite drummer!!!But I never would think that he is the best one^^ :)
I think the best one is Thomas Lang [Austrians are fine ;)]....
You can't compare two drummers like them......they have completely different styles....
I like what Travis is playing...it just sounds very good...one reason for this is that it's so fast....

But other drummers play with 10 pedals and 15 cymbals....of course they have more coordination and must think a lot more.....

but for what travis is playing.....he is the best one !!!
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
drummer_kid drummer_kid is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default Re: Travis Barker

So i've read some of your posts saying things like you don't think that Travis isthe best drummer because he's only got a FEW of the attributes that "the best" drummers should have....well.....then what are they? travis has speed, creativity, he catches on real quick, and he's good in many types of music....what other things does it take?.... i'm just asking so then i can know what kind of things i need to work on
Reply With Quote
  #920  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Matt-a-tat-tat Matt-a-tat-tat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Travis Barker

have a listen to his "drum solo." it's pretty awful stuff. don't ever do what he does in it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com