DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker? I've never heard him in +44, but in his blink182 days, I would think, what the heck is he doing? In other hands, Tre Cool, the drummer for Green Day, puts in great beats and fills, not to technical, etc, and has great control over his fills. For example, he can go fast on his tom fills but with power and even strokes.

Travis Barker has great hands, power, creativity, but from what I have heard in Blink182, he sounds like another drummer on YouTube playing metal, and fast punk songs.
But keep in mind that without Barker, a lot of young drummers now wouldn't be playing they are now, go on youtube and look for blink182 covers. most of the people that have posted a video has other videos, and on their other videos you can clealry see that there is a Travis Barker influence in their some where.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
I don't understand how the internet, with the world at everyone's fingertips, is developing more and more people who have no idea what they're talking about.
Becuase information, or should I say MIS-information is so readily available that people are not able to distinguish true from false. We live in a society that promotes independent thinking. A natural outcome of that type of society are its members believing that what they personally think or know is the only truth out there. Most of these opinons or thoughts have never been given the time of day to be researched to see if they hold any weight or truth. So thier opinions are stated as facts when truthfully they are only the dross of ingorance.

Whoops, this thread is about Travis Barker not society.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 AM

the thing that makes me mad is non drummers giving opinions about who is the best drummer, i dont get into discussion of topics in which i am ignorant. and theres where he got his fame and "success" as musician 3 riff and 2 4. also i dont think he has achieved his goal as an artist because he has lots of money ,imo the career of an artist never ends because theres always something more to learn or do better and for wht i have seen he is the same drummer he was 4 years ago.

the videos arent impressive at all, anda some say he is fast? jojo mayer can get to that speed with one hand, also doesnt need to make and effort and start hitting harder. but the thing is he doess not need to do that stuff to get our respect
music is about creativity and innovation no offense to t b fans i but have seen his stuff too many times before his name was first spoken.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM

I just want him to film himself playing for 1 hour.. without music..
then we could see and discuss about how good he is.. or hes not..
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsh View Post
the videos arent impressive at all, anda some say he is fast? jojo mayer can get to that speed with one hand, also doesnt need to make and effort and start hitting harder.
I agree. Travis Barker is a good drummer, no doubt about it, but nothing special.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 PM

he did in fact learned and played in jazz bands in the beggining folk

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rav View Post
Doesn't mean he's Elvin Jones. One of my first experiences was playing in a jazz band, doesn't mean I'm good at jazz at all, I'm not. I really can't imagine him playing in that context well, show me him doing it well and I'll believe you, but nothing has made me aware of his 'jazz credentials'.

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 AM

My opinion of travis is that his strong sides are
1. putting up a good show (you can tell he likes to drum) and
2. he is perfect for his type of music.
His technique is not the best, he could be much faster, and I haven't heard him play anything but alternative punk/punk rock or however you want to label blink 182 and +44. Too bad imo, since i think (and I believe many of you will agree with me) that a good drummer is a versatile drummer. But I actually really like travis because of the above stated strong sides.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Travis Barker played ocassionally in his high school jazz band. That's his own statement BTW. This is certainly not the same as implying that he had some formative years playing in professional jazz settings as his press agent tried to push along.

Most American high school jazz bands merely flirt with jazz, and are in most cases pep bands with a big band instrumentation. That's not to say that there aren't some serious ones that play actual jazz, but they represent the minority, and they are all amateur. For you to make such a connection would be the same as another high school band kid using his tympani rolls on 1812 Overture to demonstrate a legitemate background in classical music.

As I've said before Barker didn't start a lot of this talk. He had a press agent who used to create legend from the smallest crumb of truth, knowing that his fanatics would run with it, whether it was tue or not. This compares with him being famously credited with drum corps experience, when he only once merely talked about trying out, before joining a rock band instead.

Man, people would be a lot more interested in discussing this issue with you, if your obsessive fanaticism for your hero was not so obvious.

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-20-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Travis Barker played ocassionally in his high school jazz band. That's his own statement BTW. This is certainly not the same as implying that he had some formative years playing in professional jazz settings as his press agent tried to push along.

Most American high school jazz bands merely flirt with jazz, and are in most cases pep bands with a big band instrumentation. That's not to say that there aren't some serious ones that play actual jazz, but they represent the minority, and they are all amateur. For you to make such a connection would be the same as another high school band kid using his tympani rolls on 1812 Overture to demonstrate a legitemate background in classical music.

As I've said before Barker didn't start a lot of this talk. He had a press agent who used to create legend from the smallest crumb of truth, knowing that his fanatics would run with it, whether it was tue or not. This compares with him being famously credited with drum corps experience, when he only once merely talked about trying out, before joining a rock band instead.
Does that make Travis a jazz snob??? LMBFAO!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
A high school jazz band and being taught by a jazz drummer does not make you magically able to truly play jazz. Without meaning to sound like a jazzsnob here, but its not even just with jazz - any genre takes thoughtful listening and study to truly be able to play it.

Oh, and in the least offensive way of putting this - you really need to act your age when posting as you can come off as a stubborn 10 year old, who isn't quite getting his own way.
I understand he's your hero, but just because someone critises him doesn't mean they're wrong. Someone people say Elvin Jones sounds like someone falling down some stairs - I can see why they would think that, but to me he's an incredible emotional player with incredible creativity, technique and passion. I would think that they didn't understand his playing, or appreciate his style - which is fair enough. Sorry to go off topic, but try to see different opinions. Matt once said that people with gigantic opinions who get angry at those with different ones, don't go down well in this place - too true.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Does that make Travis a jazz snob??? LMBFAO!
But seriously Jon, it is interesting that so many of these guys seem to go out of their way to get the word jazz into their resumes, even if they have to stretch like a rubber band to do it.

But again, I still think we have to be fair to Travis Barker. I don't think he transmits all this misinformation about himself. All that apparently happens is a press agent leaves a bread crumb and guys like t_rav just run with it.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Wouldn't it be entertaining if t_rav was actually Travis himself??? just come on here to see what we all thought of him??
I think he's the greatest t_rav; the best jazz drummer, the best pop-punk drummer, the best snare drummer, the best tympanist, the best one-man band....etc
Actually I think he's a pretty good drummer who was extremely lucky to be in a band that became huge! He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM

"He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!!"

word
Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Actually I think he's a pretty good drummer who was extremely lucky to be in a band that became huge! He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!![/font]

Not wanting to appear a fanboy (God no), but from what i've learned of his history, he pulled himself up out of a life of emptying dustbins by woodshedding as hard as many other world famous drummer. It's because he practised his craft that he got to a standard higher than 'pretty good', and through talent more than luck joined Blink One Hundred and Eighty-two band (of course turning out to be by far the most talented member)

Don't get me wrong, the music he makes is on the whole boring and repetitive to me, but through the direction of a teacher, I got a chance to break down some of his licks and aspects of his playing, and saw that they require great amounts of speed, stamina and technique to pull off. Don't underestimate his ability as a drummer because of the music he makes.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:14 PM

I liked his work with the Aquabats, pre-182. If anything, I bet he was chosen to drum for blink because of the chops he displayed with the Aquabats
Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Not wanting to appear a fanboy (God no), but from what i've learned of his history, he pulled himself up out of a life of emptying dustbins by woodshedding as hard as many other world famous drummer. It's because he practised his craft that he got to a standard higher than 'pretty good', and through talent more than luck joined Blink One Hundred and Eighty-two band (of course turning out to be by far the most talented member)

Don't get me wrong, the music he makes is on the whole boring and repetitive to me, but through the direction of a teacher, I got a chance to break down some of his licks and aspects of his playing, and saw that they require great amounts of speed, stamina and technique to pull off. Don't underestimate his ability as a drummer because of the music he makes.
I wasn't criticising him bro; just making the point that anyone who is in a band that huge is extremely lucky, sadly musical talent seems to have no proportionate relation to musical success. Not that TB or Blink weren't talented guys, BUT we all know musicians who blow our minds, but don't achieve popular success.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM

i dont see anything special in travis barker's drumming. he only has one cool beat ive heard (adam's song) and the way that it's just chords in that song means that he has total freedom to play whatever he wants. other than that, everything ive heard him play sounds exactly the same. the drum solo i saw him do would hardly qualify as a drum solo from anyone else, it's just a couple extended fills and a very simplistic beat. I dont get why you guys all think hes so great...
Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 PM

I think Travis is an excellent drummer, and deserves all the credit he gets. I'm not saying he's THE best drummer, but I like his style. I'm a big fan of his drumming in the "early" years of Blink-182. Over all Travis is a good drummer, and with out a doubt, one of the best "punk-rock" drummers out there.

~ Remoking ~
Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 PM

travis is well talented hes so complex and fast!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post
Fast? Yes.
Complex? No.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 PM

I think he's one of the better dummers out there, probably not the best, but still very good. His playing style fits his music, and some of his beats are really cool. I like his work with the Aquabtas and Boxcar Racer the most.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM

what snare does he use!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM

[quote=wad;401772]travis is well talented hes so complex and fast!

If I had a penny for every time I've heard someone say that......I just don't get it. He obviously has very loyal fans but I don't think many of them are drummers...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Hey everyone i read every post on this topic so far and all i really have to say is: respect.
im only 17 years of age and i've only been drumming for 5 years but as a musician i respect all types of music and all other musician goals and acheivments and i respect travis barker for his acheivments, sure he may not be THE BEST drummer but clearly he's not the worst or he would not be where he is today. as i said before im only 17 years of age and the rest of you may not care about what i have to say but i think as musicians we have an obligation to encourage and support all others in there musical goals. I myself am into more hardcore metal or some of you may know it as screamo, but just because im not so much into travis' genra of music i do respect him for what he can do. I'm still learning and trying to expand my skill and i may want to take my drumming somewhere some day but i have to say after reading some of the posts on this forum im somewhat discouraged. So if you'll take anything from what i've said take respect because its the laest you can give to support someone.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 AM

Well i have been playing drums for quite some time (years) and maybe it is because i am 16 or what, but i find travis very talented, he is my favourite drummer and will always be..

i know he sometimes gets boring because in his solos he usually does the same thing but i like it, he doesn´t have a great set and with what he has, he does lots of cool things!

maybe my opinion is not so valid as some of you here, obviously lots of you know more than me about drums, techniques and stuff and from your point of view travis is really bad but just respect people who think he is the best or simply like it a lot(like me).

Besides Travis being my favourite drummer, i know he is not the best.. that's known by everybody, there is LOTS and LOTS of drummers out there more talented than him, we all know it.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:56 AM

I used to be an avid rock fan, but now find myself more interested in technical death metal and some jazz (I prefer drums that take thinking if you know what I mean). I also believe Travis is overrated. I have some friends who say that "Oh my god Travis is so good". But looking at his solos, all I see is some crazy ape bashing his drums as hard as he can. Of course, he's playing rock, but he has no class at all. He just thinks fast chops and loudness can substitute feel. Travis Barker seems like one of those drummers who can only play loud music, when in reality the best musicians can play absolutely anything thrown at them. This is just my opinion, and I respect anybody else's thoughts about Barker. I just think he's a terrible example of overrating.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 AM

I used to listen to blink all the time, and mainly listened to the same song over and over again because of travis' drumming. He really adds a lot to blinks music. To me, its just basically a drum song with some appealing power chords and bass and voice(I don't find tom's voice annoying, although i do like marks singing even more). But I thought he was "supergood" before I had even really heard of bonham, peart, or portnoy. But his style is hard to imitate(for me anyways).

even though this thread is about just travis barker, doesn't anyone think blink could have been "more punk"/better if they had stuck with Scott Raynor? I really liked his style, playing d-beats and have having really simple, but smooth fills. They way blink played songs with him were better imo. Not so much pop punk. I think they way he played(please correct me if I'm wrong) is called crustpunk. Simple, but appealing to me.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 AM

i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to. that aside, he's good but it's mostly just hype, recently he's seemed to have done drum remixes for hip-hop songs (i.e. soulja boy, pharrell williams) and it's very apparent that mostly all of the rap/hip-hop community (with the exception of ?uestlove) does not drum, (i don't know anyone who considers loops or drum machines drumming) though i'm not saying that may or may not be changing.

bottom line, it's all hype from people that don't know anything about drumming. is he talented? yes. is he the best? probably not. is he the fastest? no (look up gabe serbian - though he's probably not the fastest either). it's all just b/s imo, and i'm tired of hearing about the guy.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusfetusis6 View Post
i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to. that aside, he's good but it's mostly just hype, recently he's seemed to have done drum remixes for hip-hop songs (i.e. soulja boy, pharrell williams) and it's very apparent that mostly all of the rap/hip-hop community (with the exception of ?uestlove) does not drum, (i don't know anyone who considers loops or drum machines drumming) though i'm not saying that may or may not be changing.

bottom line, it's all hype from people that don't know anything about drumming. is he talented? yes. is he the best? probably not. is he the fastest? no (look up gabe serbian - though he's probably not the fastest either). it's all just b/s imo, and i'm tired of hearing about the guy.

Why are you surprised there are so many comments? He's the drummer in one of the biggest bands in the world nad he has a brash, instantly gratifying style of playing. Nothing more, nothing less. Barker and what he does has nothing to do with the hype he attracts.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM

to all you morons talking down about travis or saying he's a mediocre and overated drummer, you clearly don't know much.
travis is easily one of the best drummers of the last decade if not thee best.
i'd like to see half you drummers do what he can do.
have any of you people seen travis actually play without music just some of his freestyle's?
he's basically capable of doing anything on the drums.
and he's proved it if any of you people are educated about him.
you guys are complete idiots trying to say he's just ok.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusfetusis6 View Post
i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to.
You've hit the nail on the head.
I 100% agree with you, it's like you see drumming videos to famous songs on youtube, and the people are doing amateur mistakes such as not playing semi quaver bass drum notes properly, and it's basically a technical sham, but people who don't play the drums still go "Wow, nice stuff" or "YOU'RE AS GOOD AS JOEY JORDINSON" (When it's a jazz video)
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_boy View Post
Hey everyone i read every post on this topic so far and all i really have to say is: respect.
im only 17 years of age and i've only been drumming for 5 years but as a musician i respect all types of music and all other musician goals and acheivments and i respect travis barker for his acheivments, sure he may not be THE BEST drummer but clearly he's not the worst or he would not be where he is today. as i said before im only 17 years of age and the rest of you may not care about what i have to say but i think as musicians we have an obligation to encourage and support all others in there musical goals. I myself am into more hardcore metal or some of you may know it as screamo, but just because im not so much into travis' genra of music i do respect him for what he can do. I'm still learning and trying to expand my skill and i may want to take my drumming somewhere some day but i have to say after reading some of the posts on this forum im somewhat discouraged. So if you'll take anything from what i've said take respect because its the laest you can give to support someone.
thanks, matty_boy.

luigic, I've never seen Barker play his freestyles, whatever that is. (I am very new to drumming, I only started last year, so any enlightenment will be accepted w/thanks)
What i've seen, though, he is superfast, so he picks up lots of non-drumming fans (incl. me) ,and he has power, he just uses it for fast licks hither an' yon. While this doesnt take away from the music, it's not really talent/creativity. I like Blink 182, but frankly, he hasn't come up w/ too many really good beats.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM

if you want to hear fast AND complex. Peter Wildoer of Darkane and Brann Dailor of Mastodon. I don't think about Travis Barker's playing. I think more about how Travis Barker is decidely NOT punk in any way shape or form. Thinking about his drumming right now after reading some of the posts here: I agree. The guy's all speed and no substance. It's the same old boring idea that fast equals good. Speed Ringo Starr up to 160 bpm or something and even he'll sound as sick as Travis Barker. (note: I like Ringo Starr).

Last edited by Matt-a-tat-tat; 03-27-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post
lol.
to be honest i dont even think hes that fast
and hes not complex..
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigic View Post
to all you morons talking down about travis or saying he's a mediocre and overated drummer,

you guys are complete idiots trying to say he's just ok.
Well done, how very mature of you, calling people idiotic and moronic because they don't agree with you.
Great.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihitdrumz View Post
lol.
to be honest i dont even think hes that fast
and hes not complex..

For some reason i'm compelled to look in on this thread. His speed is undeniable, and i say that as someone who can't stand the music he makes or the sound of his playing. Having briefly studied his style of playing, I can safely say he's done a lot of practice to be able to do what he does.

Even if you dislike what he does I recommend trying to transcribe and break down some of his parts and try to play them. 9 out of 10 amateurs will struggle to get a lot his parts up to speed, but is worthwhile to get an idea of where your chops are at, whatever style you play.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Hey guys!!
you must forgive me when i write something wrong in english....I'm fourteen and from austria ;)

Travis barker is my favourite drummer!!!But I never would think that he is the best one^^ :)
I think the best one is Thomas Lang [Austrians are fine ;)]....
You can't compare two drummers like them......they have completely different styles....
I like what Travis is playing...it just sounds very good...one reason for this is that it's so fast....

But other drummers play with 10 pedals and 15 cymbals....of course they have more coordination and must think a lot more.....

but for what travis is playing.....he is the best one !!!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:10 PM

So i've read some of your posts saying things like you don't think that Travis isthe best drummer because he's only got a FEW of the attributes that "the best" drummers should have....well.....then what are they? travis has speed, creativity, he catches on real quick, and he's good in many types of music....what other things does it take?.... i'm just asking so then i can know what kind of things i need to work on
Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 PM

have a listen to his "drum solo." it's pretty awful stuff. don't ever do what he does in it.