DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Superkick 1/2 for 24"?

Hi!
I'm thinking of buying a new head for my 24" Pearl MLX (maple) kick. I'm tempted to try the Aquarian superkick 1 or 2 and can't decide which one to get. The Aquarian force heads seem interessting as well. What would you think would be the best choise if I want a rather big punchy sound with a little boom? Also, how would they differ in the feel? Which one would be most suitable for fast playing feelwise? If you have any other recommendations on heads for a 24" kick, please share!
Answers would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Joel-K; 12-09-2007 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Superkick 1/2 for 24"?

A Super Kick 1 is a good head. The Super Kick 2 is a 2 ply head which is too dead for me. It also has a heavy feel to it..meaning you have to lay into it more than you would with a single ply head. If you can, I would also reccomend an Aquarian Regulator on the front with either one of the above mentioned heads.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
A Super Kick 1 is a good head. The Super Kick 2 is a 2 ply head which is too dead for me. It also has a heavy feel to it..meaning you have to lay into it more than you would with a single ply head. If you can, I would also reccomend an Aquarian Regulator on the front with either one of the above mentioned heads.
Thank you very much for your answer! I think I'll give a 1 ply head a try then. I heard alot of good things about the regulator as well, so maybe I should try that out too when I get the money. I'm now also looking at an Aquarian batter head named "Force l", does anyone have any experience of those? How would they be compared to the Super kick 1?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

The Force 1 head would be more open and boomy than a Super Kick head would be. It is also a single ply head.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

I think a SuperKick I on your 24" and empty bass drum would be a good option. The Force I is also recommended but maybe you'll need to damper your bass drum with pillow though.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM

Okay, thank you both very much! I guess I'll go for a superkick 1 and regulator then. :)
Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Sure. Keep in mind to NOT stretch/seat either head. Just put them on, tune them up and play.. Aquarian heads don't need to be stretched.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Sure. Keep in mind to NOT stretch/seat either head. Just put them on, tune them up and play.. Aquarian heads don't need to be stretched.
Yeah, I heard that before. Thanks though!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 PM

The Aquarian SK heads are not for everyone. I have a killer bass drum and went for a SK1 head. I found it too muffled and very little attack. Took me 5 minutes to go back to an Evans EQ4.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
The Aquarian SK heads are not for everyone. I have a killer bass drum and went for a SK1 head. I found it too muffled and very little attack. Took me 5 minutes to go back to an Evans EQ4.
Hmm... Well, I don't want a too muffled sound, and certainly not one with little attack! Perhaps it would be better to take a more open and resonating head like the force 1 and then muffle it with a pillow or something if I find that necessary?.. Sounds more safe, or what to you think? Wow, I go back and forth a lot! :P
Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
There isn't any one or type of head for everyone.

Joel, try a Force 1 if you are uneasy about the Super Kick. I tried the Evans EQ4 some time ago and didn't like it at all. to me, it was lifeless. Some people swear by them. Sound is so subjective. What sounds good to one person may sound awful to another person, ya know? I have used a SK 1 on my 22 kick and to me, it's not dead. Your putting it on a 24, it won't be dead or lifeless. So to start, maybe try the Force 1 that way you can tame it down if need be. Try the SK 1 next time around. As you can tell, I favor Aquarian.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
There isn't any one or type of head for everyone.

Joel, try a Force 1 if you are uneasy about the Super Kick. I tried the Evans EQ4 some time ago and didn't like it at all. to me, it was lifeless. Some people swear by them. Sound is so subjective. What sounds good to one person may sound awful to another person, ya know? I have used a SK 1 on my 22 kick and to me, it's not dead. Your putting it on a 24, it won't be dead or lifeless. So to start, maybe try the Force 1 that way you can tame it down if need be. Try the SK 1 next time around. As you can tell, I favor Aquarian.

I guess you're right.

Yeah, seems like the best option really, since I can just dampen that "manually" if I need to while I can't take muffling away from the SK if that would turn out being too dead for my taste. Yeah, the Aquarians are very popular it seems, specially the bass heads. I'm looking forward to trying them! Again, thanks alot for the help, I appreciate it!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM

I love SK1, but didn't like the Regulator. When I installed the Regulator, my bass lost the attack, and sounded like somebody knocking on the back door. I returned it, and got the REMO Powerstroke 3 Ebony and absolutely love it. It's a good combo that works well with the Performance II heads. (good for rock) 0.02
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
I love SK1, but didn't like the Regulator. When I installed the Regulator, my bass lost the attack, and sounded like somebody knocking on the back door. I returned it, and got the REMO Powerstroke 3 Ebony and absolutely love it. It's a good combo that works well with the Performance II heads. (good for rock) 0.02
The SKII batter / PS3 ebony reso is what I'm also running on my keller-shelled 18x24 DW bass drum. It's got great tone and attack. For un-miced outdoor gigs I run a PS3 batter for a little more volume, but I would also like to try a Force I in this situation.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums