DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Drummer/singers?

Im not sure if this is in the right section, and admins feel free to move it if it is.

ANYWAYS!

I'm the drummer/singer for my band, and it's a tough gig! Keeping time and singing at the same time. I was just wondering if there are others like me on this forum, who drum and sing, and if they have any advice on posture behind the kit, and how I can keep better time. I used to use a metronome, but I could concentrate on the beat, the metronome, the words, and the right notes to sing at the same time =T

Thanks mi hombres =]
Old 12-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Drummer/singers?

i do backing vocs for my band. some songs or parts i can do and some i cannot. take 'sit down' by james. easy drums, easy vocs - but i just cannot do them together.

i have a headset mic (sure) like madonna. i usually rip it off at some stage in the gig so i can head bang and backing vocals be damned.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Pioneer Member

My band found out I can sing so now won't stop harping on it. They even gave me a vocal channel on the board w/ my name just in case. I think resistance is futile.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:23 PM

I split the singing duties with our 'lead vocalist'.
I don't have a headset mic yet so I use a boom stand positioned behind my right shouler. Keeps it from interfering with hand motion.

Drumming and singing is hard and probably takes a little more practice. I get the drum part down and then practice the singing. As long as everyone nails their part it seems to work out pretty good.

Audiences get quite a shock but think it's pretty cool!

I live in Japan and haven't seen any singing drummers. Pretty rare.

Keep at it!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill View Post
My band found out I can sing so now won't stop harping on it. They even gave me a vocal channel on the board w/ my name just in case. I think resistance is futile.
OMG...

Are you my clone? This exact situation happened to me years ago, and I just couldn't stop my bandmates from exploring my voice to see what my range was.

I ended up singing lead on about a third of the songs, and back-up on most of the rest. Wow, does this bring back memories, or what? Mostly good ones, thankfully.

Hey, T. I suggest just goin' with it, and see what can come from it. You may find that you can "balance" the vocals with the drums easier than you may think. I guess it's just a matter of if you really want to or not, huh?

Good luck! ;-)
Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemaster_flex View Post
I'm the drummer/singer for my band, and it's a tough gig! Keeping time and singing at the same time. I was just wondering if there are others like me on this forum, who drum and sing, and if they have any advice on posture behind the kit, and how I can keep better time. I used to use a metronome, but I could concentrate on the beat, the metronome, the words, and the right notes to sing at the same time =T
Thanks mi hombres =]
------------------

I sing mostly backing vocals.
I find it really difficult to sing with a click...so only use clicks at gunpoint.
Really have to concentrate on my posture & breathing much more when singing & playing as opposed to playing drums only.
Like most things you get used to it until it becomes natural...(well almost in my case).

Timing isn't usually a problem. Hitting the correct notes is :-)
Everyone's different..do what works for you.

If the band, or myself want some "drum genius moment" (all drummers are modest) from me and my singing affects my playing, we rearrange it so I sing different parts.
I find it tough sometimes...but it's rewarding. I do enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Check this out its Matt Camerons (soundgarden Pearl Jam) side project called Wellwater Conspiracy and in this video he drums and sings really good have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2iUK63xiw
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

I sing backing and a little lead. I really don't have trouble with time and singing. I use a head worn mic and I have a great silent foot switch to turn it off and on when I heed to.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton Drum's View Post
Check this out its Matt Camerons (soundgarden Pearl Jam) side project called Wellwater Conspiracy and in this video he drums and sings really good have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2iUK63xiw
Good performance & visually enthusiastic....That's how a drummer should be (imo of course).
Old 06-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Pioneer Member

I sing about 70% of my new bands songs - there are only 2 of us now....

Itís quite hard coming up with a good melody and a drum line at the same time I find - so usually Iíll work on the drum lines - and sing any old rubbish until Iím happy with the drums, then Iíll work on the vocals.

I find it can be very difficult to play along to drum machines and samples and sing behind the beat - sing sloppy, which is something I like, it takes time to learn....

Itís really good to record the song, sing your parts without playing the drums at the same time - then you can teach yourself to do both at once...

Also Iíve found practicing to a metronome and singing (just any rubbish) when doing my pad stuff has really helped.

The hardest thing for me is keeping my breath - Iím quite a 'physical' drummer so learning to breath is important too, Iím thinking of taking up jogging to improve my fitness, which will improve my drumming....

Anyhow - hope you find some of this some use...

All the best.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Pioneer Member

I was singing Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Dosed" in front of my bandmates and they thought it sounded really good with the harmonies and all, so now they want me to do harmonies in the band...ughhhh
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

The hardest thing for me is keeping my breath - I’m quite a 'physical' drummer so learning to breath is important too, I’m thinking of taking up jogging to improve my fitness, which will improve my drumming....

Anyhow - hope you find some of this some use...

All the best.
I used to be a classical singer and the difference between a really great singer (in any genre, but particularly classical) and a good singer is the breathing. A singer who breathes properly has more power, projection, vocal range and better diction than one who does not; as well as stamina and it can also improve your timing. Breathing really is an underrated skill.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

i wish i could sing....

Brandon Saller of Atreyu sings and drums...he is great too! he does all the singing, and Alex(screamer) does all the screaming...

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY