DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 AM

Default EC2's and EC Reverse Dot on Sonor 3007…

I’m unsure of where to post the following questions but it’s mainly focused on heads so I decided to post it here. A little background first.
This coming Thursday night I’ll be picking up my sons next drum kit. It’s a Sonor 3007 full maple kit in a 10, 12, 14, 22 size with the matching snare. The finish is a clear maple faded into a darker stain. It’s called Autumn Fade I think. This will replace his older Tama Rock stars (pre stracast mount) set. He already has a full Zildjian cymbal set up with newsbeats for hats and A custom crashes with a Z custom ride.

The store offered to take back anything we did not like in the kit towards the purchase of other theoretically better gear.
With this in mind I had them take out the stock pedal and I have replaced it with a single Iron cobra rolling glide pedal. We did both shop for a pedal months back and this is the one he liked best. Additionally from what I read this should last him a long long time.

Is there anything else in the stock kit that I would consider replacing?

For example I considered replacing the snare but so far have decided not to. I think he should use the maple snare and decide if he likes it rather than jumping right back into a steel (or other metal) snare just because that’s the sound he was used to with the rock stars. If in 6 months he still wants one we can then look at BB or similar then.

What about the other hardware in the kit?

My final question is on heads. I intend to replace all the stock beater heads and leave the stock resos for now. We tried a few base drum heads on the Tamas and liked the SKII and intend to use it again on the Sonor kit. Will this sound good?
More up in the air for us is the toms and snare heads.
With the metal snare on the Tamas we went with an Emperor X for durability and to attempt to control it. With the maple snare I’m unsure what way to go? We used Emperors on the toms.
Toms are a concern as well. We are looking for a, I’m not sure of the correct lingo but…, dryer quicker sound rather than a fatter ringing sound… Does this make sense?
I understand that a fatter sound is indicative of maple however I wanted to get him a kit that will allow him to grow and adapt to his changing tastes. Control it for now and let it open up later buy changing heads?
With this in mind I have read great things about these EC2’s in controlling ring and tuning these a little on the tight side may firm up the sound?
Is my logic flawed?
What would anyone recommend given these ideas.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited by Numberonefan; 12-18-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New head advice among a few other questions…

wow. your goin all out for your son. Sonor 3007, Iron Cobra, full set of Ziljians.....man. lucky him! and sonor makes good hardware. so you dont have to really worry about that. and for the head question, the SKII is a awesome bass head! it makes my 20 sound real nice and punchy! you(or he) will like it! and for the snare i have a Evans Genera Dry on my Chad Smith sig. and i love the sound of that head! nice dry crack! and for the toms, ive never had any experience with the EC2's, but i hear they are good. but i have Remo Smooth white Emporers on mine. i dont really like them, but i think it is the wood on mine, cause my friend has them on his maple bonham kit and they sound really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
I’m unsure of where to post the following questions but it’s mainly focused on heads so I decided to post it here. A little background first.
This coming Thursday night I’ll be picking up my sons next drum kit. It’s a Sonor 3007 full maple kit in a 10, 12, 14, 22 size with the matching snare. The finish is a clear maple faded into a darker stain. It’s called Autumn Fade I think. This will replace his older Tama Rock stars (pre stracast mount) set. He already has a full Zildjian cymbal set up with newsbeats for hats and A custom crashes with a Z custom ride.

The store offered to take back anything we did not like in the kit towards the purchase of other theoretically better gear.
With this in mind I had them take out the stock pedal and I have replaced it with a single Iron cobra rolling glide pedal. We did both shop for a pedal months back and this is the one he liked best. Additionally from what I read this should last him a long long time.

Is there anything else in the stock kit that I would consider replacing?

For example I considered replacing the snare but so far have decided not to. I think he should use the maple snare and decide if he likes it rather than jumping right back into a steel (or other metal) snare just because that’s the sound he was used to with the rock stars. If in 6 months he still wants one we can then look at BB or similar then.

What about the other hardware in the kit?

My final question is on heads. I intend to replace all the stock beater heads and leave the stock resos for now. We tried a few base drum heads on the Tamas and liked the SKII and intend to use it again on the Sonor kit. Will this sound good?
More up in the air for us is the toms and snare heads.
With the metal snare on the Tamas we went with an Emperor X for durability and to attempt to control it. With the maple snare I’m unsure what way to go? We used Emperors on the toms.
Toms are a concern as well. We are looking for a, I’m not sure of the correct lingo but…, dryer quicker sound rather than a fatter ringing sound… Does this make sense?
I understand that a fatter sound is indicative of maple however I wanted to get him a kit that will allow him to grow and adapt to his changing tastes. Control it for now and let it open up later buy changing heads?
With this in mind I have read great things about these EC2’s in controlling ring and tuning these a little on the tight side may firm up the sound?
Is my logic flawed?
What would anyone recommend given these ideas.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 12-17-2007, 05:55 AM

The cymbals we already have. That was the first thing we upgraded on his old kit. The drums sounded like drums but the cymbals we had (Solar) sounded nothing like we thought cymbals should sound.
We did it one at a time and I love all the ones we bought other than the ride. He likes it and that’s the only time our opinions have really differed. It’s just a little clangey if that’s a word. It does have great stick definition and a great bell but I’d rather see him with something like a K.
So the only new stuff is the drums and pedal.
Funny you mention the Chad Smith snare. That’s one we had in mind. We did try out several but unfortunately he could not, with any certainty, pick one in our price range and tell me it the one he really wanted. We tried several on the pearl sensitones and his pick changed after each try. With the exception of a Dunnett steel snare that he loved but it was 7 or 8 hundred… I was just not going there….
So for now it’s the stock maple.

I have been reading about Evens EC reverse dot for the snare. Any thoughts or anyone have experience with this one on a maple snare? Maybe it would work well going with EC2’s around the toms?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Regarding the Chad Smith snare...there are usually several for sale on ebay for around $100 plus shipping. For your maple snare I would go with an Evans G1 or Remo Ambassador initially. This will let the drum really sing! You can always use moongel if needed to take away the overtones. Good luck and congrats on the new kit