DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Case for new snare

As some of you may know, I've got a 14x6.5" jarrah stave snare on its way, and I've decided that I'm going to get a case for it. Should I be looking at a hard case or will one of those Protection Racket ones do?
If you use hard cases, what brand do you use and how has your experience with that product been? Any notable problems/flaws or benefits of that model, etc?

Cheers,
Cam
Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Case for new snare

I second this question, I need something to protect my Unix baby that is on the way. I looked a SKB and they looked the most secure and protective the money was a little dracting.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:05 AM

Buy a good quality bag, and a good quality hard case to put that into. Protector, H&B, SKB, all great brands.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26473
Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Protection Racket is an excellent brand and they're actually semi-rigid.

I use www.hardcase.com for all my drums. Your drum could fall off a car at highway speed and be untouched if it were inside a Hardcase. They're comparable in price to Protection Racket and very similar to SKB. Hardcases do not have much padding on the inside, just for the heads, but they don't need it as no wood ever touches the case and the plastic is smooth and soft anyway. Padding is necessary in a soft case, but not a hard one. I would especially recommend Hardcase for the snare, as the reso head is so delicate.

I have very rare drums and I have complete confidence putting them in Hardcases.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 AM

A dropped hard case without padding is just like dropping a drum in no case. Think about it. Buy some bags for those cases.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 AM

I'm a fan of SKB; I also have a few Protection Racket bags which I'm completely happy with. However, if the gear was going to be subject to road wear, I'd be moving it into a hard case.

Finally, I have some H&B Enduro and Enduro Pro cases. All things being equal, I'd be all over the Enduro Pro cases. However, the last order of some rather standard sized Enduro Pro cases took over seven months for delivery, which is just ridiculous. The fact that H&B continually said they'd be shipping "in about two weeks" for the majority of that time didn't help. Bottom line, I'm not buying from them again.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ploughman View Post
A dropped hard case without padding is just like dropping a drum in no case. Think about it. Buy some bags for those cases.
Not true and I've done more than think about it. The case absorbs and diffuses the impact. Hardcases compress around the drum, holding it only by the rims, where there is foam. Otherwise, nothing touches the drums - it doesn't get any softer than that. I toss my smaller drums 10 feet into the back of the car and sometimes they miss. No problem at all, and I have heavy drums with fragile long tube lugs. Like I said, Protection Racket makes great cases. If you're always hauling your drums, or if you are certain they will never fall from a stage, bags are fine. If you want absolute protection from impact, get something of molded plastic.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 AM

Maybe you were unclear in understanding my post, and maybe previous posts were unclear...

but the statement was made that.... "Hardcases do not have much padding on the inside, just for the heads, but they don't need it as no wood ever touches the case and the plastic is smooth and soft anyway."......

to which I responded......... "A dropped hard case without padding is just like dropping a drum in no case. Think about it. Buy some bags for those cases."

And then you responded with .......... "Not true and I've done more than think about it. The case absorbs and diffuses the impact. Hardcases compress around the drum, holding it only by the rims, where there is foam. Otherwise, nothing touches the drums - it doesn't get any softer than that. I toss my smaller drums 10 feet into the back of the car and sometimes they miss. No problem at all, and I have heavy drums with fragile long tube lugs. "............

And I'm still thinkin......... hells freaking bells. Eventually yer gonna get what you deserve.

Anyone ever tosses one of my drums..... is going to be front row center at an ass whuppin.

Maybe I need to post a pic of MY case collection.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
As some of you may know, I've got a 14x6.5" jarrah stave snare on its way, and I've decided that I'm going to get a case for it. Should I be looking at a hard case or will one of those Protection Racket ones do?
If you use hard cases, what brand do you use and how has your experience with that product been? Any notable problems/flaws or benefits of that model, etc?

Cheers,
Cam
I use the Protechtor cases, but I am not a fan of their foam lined cases as the foam tends to get torn too easily.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe I need to post a pic of MY case collection.
Please do. I would like to hear about your actual experiences with the cases you have more than what you think might happen with cases you do not have

I don't think you need to worry too much about people throwing your drums, but I might go throw my drums around some today just for the fun of it!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

OZ! You got me gnashing my teeth waiting for your Jarrah!

You'd better post it up the day you get it!

Protection racket. perfect for if you travel some ( not for 23 city world tours though )
Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
...but I might go throw my drums around some today just for the fun of it!
Let's see a video of that :D
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Please do. I would like to hear about your actual experiences with the cases you have more than what you think might happen with cases you do not have

I don't think you need to worry too much about people throwing your drums, but I might go throw my drums around some today just for the fun of it!

Its cold out. And I seriously am not freezing my hiney off just to take a pic of cases. Maybe saturday. Frankly, I just dont understand the source of your attitude. So you think an unlined case alone is sufficient and I dont. Ok. fine. As for my actual experience with cases...... It started in 1979. They were humes and berg fibre cases. Econoline I think I remember seeing stamped on the bottom. They served well for the most part for 20 years, through a half dozen moves all over california, plus whatever gigging I did during that time. Since 1999 I have used Humes and Berg Enduro cases primarily. The kits pictured in the signature link are my own, all currently owned and being played. I routinely either gig out and or schlep a set to practice every week.

There are six sets of drums. Including....
Ayotte Custom, 22-12-14-16- with snare. Humes and berg Enduros with Tuxedo bags for this kit. The snare drum rides in either a Protector Hardcase (very similar to Enduro, made by XL Specialty Percussion INC.) or .........in a custom touring ATA case with recessed latches and handle made by Sessions Case Co. Hardware is handled in a Humes and Berg Enduro Trap Case. And cymbals..... all Paiste 2002 ...... are handled in two SKB cymbal vaults. A 22" and a 24" with telescoping handle and wheels. SKB is a very familiar name. Cases are well made. The Ayotte Custom set was purchased by me in 2001...... The drum cases came with it, and I already owned the Enduro Trap Case. At the time, I was using an Humes and Berg Enduro Cymbal Case. I sold that this year, and purchased the TWO SKB cases.
The Rogers 24-13-16-18 set has its own 24, 13, and 18" Humes and Berg Enduro Cases. It shares the 16" case from the Ayotte set. The 24 and 18 are blanket wraped before going into the cases. The 13 and 16 each have their own padded bag, made by CODA.
The Rogers 20-12-14-16 and Rogers 20-12-16 ...... both share a set of cases. These are Humes and Berg Tuxedo Bags including snare bag. I have a 20" H&B Enduro Bass Drum Case and the 12 and 16 are shared from the Ayotte Custom set. ........ Also, there is a set of custom made ATA professional grade touring cases that are shared between these two pristine vintage sets. They were made by Space Case Company of Sacramento CA. they are very similar to the Anvil Flight Cases of world reknowned fame. Recessed latches, interlocking aluminum edging, high grade casters, recessed handles, 3/8 plywood construction. I have a bass drum/cymbal case, I use the cymbal compartment for my drum rug. There is a case for a 12 or 13" tom, 14x14 Floor Tom or two deep snares, and up to an 8x14 snare drum. There is also a floor tom case set up for a 16x16 Floor Tom. If either of these two sets go to a gig........ this is how they travel. ... first class. I also have a trunk style ATA hardware case that is shared between these two sets, as well as shared by 3 other sets of vintage Rogers drums.

Ya know.........I could go on. I have a significant amount of money invested in my vintage drums, hardware, and snare drums. Dude, drop the prima donna attitude. If you want to carry a several thousand dollar set of drums around in unprotected boxes, by all means, freaking do it....... but shove the attitude.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Frankly, I just dont understand the source of your attitude.... Dude, drop the prima donna attitude. If you want to carry a several thousand dollar set of drums around in unprotected boxes, by all means, freaking do it....... but shove the attitude.
Yessir, I sure will "shove the attitude," especially since you are so tactful about letting people know how they should behave. Please do let me know if I'm doing anything else wrong. You sure do have a magic diplomatic touch. I think your attitude is just fine, by the way, and I'm sorry for being such an insulting prima donna. I will try much harder in the future, so please do find it within your heart to forgive me.

Time to go toss my drums now.

Merry Christmas!