DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-15-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Gear for Recording

Okay, so I want to record my drums to a pretty good level. I have some good microphones in mind, so I have that covered, but what would I need (hardware and software) if I wanted to hook it up to my computer and record that way?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Gear for Recording

well, whats your price range?
There are many systems of various price, but really all you need is one digital pre-amp and software to get you started.
Just some thoughts, sorry if they aren't exactly coherent:
You will want at least 8 XLR channels of input since you are recording your drums- while this narrows your range, it also means that in general you will be getting higher quality gear. Firewire is the way to go, since most interfaces operate on that- USB is not quite so reliable and has greater latency. Having an ADAT optical in and out is also a good feature for expanding later, and routing the signal, but this can be accomplished through firewire as well, so its not a necessity.
As for options:
The Motu 8pre is quite a solid rig and has just about anything you could want, and its $550; personally I have found this to be very reliable and a great piece for the cost
Presonus also has many great pre-amps such as the Firestudio, Firepod, etc...and all these will get the job done, running $400 on up. You have to go to around $750 to get ADAT while the 8pre has that capability for $550.
Alesis makes a mixer that can be operated as a firewire recording device and a live-venue mixer that gives you even more options, but it is not the best quality, and though I and many people like it, there's also a fair share of those who have not had a great experience with them. However, it does allow you to easily record your drums and run them to a PA system all at once, and add outboard effects and such.

As for software, just about anything from Cubase to MAGIX to Logic to Cakewalk to ProTools (though this requires more expensive proprietary hardware- so your stuck dropping around $1200 to get into this system for drum recording.......though it is very professional, i would not recommend it for someone just looking for recording, as a non-professional recordist can achieve the same results with any of the other software I have mentioned). Logic requires a Mac, as well, so be warned of that. If you have a Mac, you are better off, though, because they are more stable for audio editing- Windows works, but remember to save often.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Ok, I'm looking at the MOTU website, and it says that there is software included on it, "CueMix". Is this any good?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM

I agree with Hawk, Firewire, 8 pre and ADAT is a very nice setup.
As to the software included with hardware, it's often very limited. Functions like mixdown to Mp3 may be disablet in order to convince you to pay for upgrades.
I would look at Cubase studio or similar.

/Oldie
Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Ok, I'm looking at the MOTU website, and it says that there is software included on it, "CueMix". Is this any good?
CueMix doesn't serve as primary mixing software- it is meant to allow you to bring the audio into your computer in case your other sound software has issues with the 8pre. It allows you to adjust the levels and sends, but you can't add effects or shift the audio around.
But if you want the cheap route, Cubase will get you there decently.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:44 AM

I was looking more at MAGIX Music Studio 12, it looks to be very useful, and for only $80!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
I was looking more at MAGIX Music Studio 12, it looks to be very useful, and for only $80!
I try to avoid mentioning that because often it puts me in hot water. Personally, if I don't have ProTools, the first software I go to is MAGIX (I think its Music Studio 5 or Studio 2005, I don't remember which), because it feels very similar, and the free and additional plugins I have for it allow me to do even more with that software on the low-tech level than Pro Tools. The only qualms are it can be glitchy at times. But every time I mention it people shoot me down...so just out of self-preservation I go with Cubase. Since you mentioned it though, yes, it is indeed a good buy.