DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Practice Pad & Metronome

Ok, seeing as I have been drumming for about 10 years now I thought it was probably time to get a practice pad and metronome and start working on my technique.

So, what do people recommend, are all practice pads kinda similar or is there a particular one that I should look for? What about a metronome, will a cheapish one do the job? I'm really not looking to spend much money, just want something that will do the job and not fall apart.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Practice Pad & Metronome

If your snare isn't flat, it'll be a good idea to buy a 12" and put it on a snare stand or a smaller one with a cymbal thread and put it on a cymbal stand. I've tried the HQ Realfeel, Tama and Remo. As far as I can tell, the Realfeel and Tama have similar (high) rebound and quite quiet. The Remo has less rebound, louder. It's supposed to be tuneable, but I never really felt any difference when I tried to, but it has a rim, so you can do rim stuff.

As for metronome, I'm using the Roland Dr Beat metronome. It has volume control, a headphone jack, and you can manually dictate the tempo (by tapping out on a button), which are great features for its price. The problem is that after using it for a while, I started to hear two sounds per beep, sort of a flam. It's slight, but noticeable, although I don't think it'll affect your playing. The secondary sound is quite soft. Again, it's great for its price.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

In my opinion, the HQ Realfeel double-sided 12" pad beats out all the competition. I usually use the gray (quieter, more rebound) side, and if you don't really care about having the other (black) side with more volume and less rebound, you might want get the one-sided and save a bit of money. I personally hate the Remo pads (or you'll sometimes see them relabeled as Pearl). They're the white circular ones with the black plastic rim. The only advantages are that they feel a bit more like a real drum (ie with less rebound - like a tom) than others and you can tune them with a screwdriver (although the range is somewhat limited). The problem is that they're too loud, they don't feel like any snare tuned moderately tight, and the plastic rim has a tendency to break. That combination just means I can't stand them. I also have a Xymox pad (it's kind of an X-Pad rip-off). It's got a surface akin to the gray side of the Realfeel, but with beads underneath for more of a snare sound, and it's smaller and ovoid. It's a well made pad, but I prefer the Realfeel for size and quieter volume. The only problem with the Realfeel is its weight - it is a tad on the hefty side. Luckily the new version (with gray/black surfaces) is lighter than the old version (with yellow/black surfaces), which was pretty heavy.

As far as metronomes, I consider the Roland DB-90 Dr. Beat to be the top-of-the-line (there are several Dr. Beat models, the DB-90 is their best and I'm not sure which one babliku was referring to). I don't own one, but I use them pretty often. They offer a lot of options and control, and are nice and durable. The only problem is they're a bit expensive, so considering what you said those features might not be worth the extra cash. In that case, I would suggest the Korg MA-30. I have one, and it's cheaper but does the job fine. It's got a good selection of rhythms (such as triplets, swing, and sixteenths without inner beats) and a headphone jack, both of which are lacking on the very low end mets. I've never had any problem with durability.

Good luck, I hope I've been helpful.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

HQ Realfeel
Boss DB-30

I would get the DB-90 but 160 bucks for a met? Nahh not for me
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 PM

Definitely check out the DB-30. It's packed with features and is a great buy for the money. Oh, and it's small -- so nice for travel. Can't do everything the 90 can do, but can do quite a lot.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 AM

As far as a metronome, the Yamaha Click Station is awesome, because it has all the subdivisions, and it has a small speaker, as well as 1/4 inch or mini plug jack. Also, when you change tempos while it's running, it doesn't reset..it is real good, and the best for the value. Prices vary, around $100 but worth it.

For pads, I have a bunch, (as I am a bit of a collector), but the Real Feel was always the standard..Until now..

I just got the new P4 Pat Petrillo Signature Practice Pad, and it's GREAT! 4 Pads in one on the same side, with no flipping at all, with different types of rubber for a different rebound, plus it has 3 levels so it feels like you're moving around a kit. Awesome pad. I never use my Real Feel anymore, because this pad is so much fun and useful to practice with.

I got this picture from his website, that's where I bought mine

http://www.patpetrillo.com
Attached Images