DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro

One unmentioned peice of jeffs id reccomend is the song 'Homeboy' from the Michael mcdonald album 'Take it to heart'. Some lovely Hi-hat work, and some of the nicest fills Ive heard from him. Amazing flowing feel to the whole track. Awesome.

Tim
Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: "Homeboy"

Tim,

You're right.
That track smokes.
I read in an '02 Paiste article with Mangiacaro and Keltner where Jim had stated one of the things he listens for (and did) with Jeff's tunes was the hat. Keltner's statement that Jeff 'had a beautiful way of playing hi hat', and it's true. Such an effortless, silky way of playing that made anything sparkle.
"Homeboy" is just one example of that.

Thanks for the reminder!
T
Old 12-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Jeff: Paiste Ad Photo Question

Does anyone here know who the photographer was for this shot of Jeff?

(I've seen the ad itself, but I've never seen a photographer's name attached).

Thanks!
T
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Jeff: Paiste Ad Photo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretschgal1 View Post

Does anyone here know who the photographer was for this shot of Jeff?

(I've seen the ad itself, but I've never seen a photographer's name attached).

Thanks!
T
I've it right in front of me but ain't no photographer written on it.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscocks View Post
One unmentioned peice of jeffs id reccomend is the song 'Homeboy' from the Michael mcdonald album 'Take it to heart'. Some lovely Hi-hat work, and some of the nicest fills Ive heard from him. Amazing flowing feel to the whole track. Awesome.

Tim
That's a rare example of Jeff playing the hi-hat with BOTH hands.

Check out "Wrong side of the tracks" (David Roberts): Jeff playing the hi-hat with the RIGHT hand only at his best!!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Tim
What a strange nick do you have.
Are you italian? :-))
Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Jeff: Paiste Ad Photo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdrum75 View Post
I've it right in front of me but ain't no photographer written on it.

Photographer is Nick Zlowzer, according to somebody at Toto Network.

That's a name I'm not familiar with. I still like the composition of the piece though. Cool stuff.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: "Homeboy"

Quote:
Tim,

You're right.
That track smokes.
I read in an '02 Paiste article with Mangiacaro and Keltner where Jim had stated one of the things he listens for (and did) with Jeff's tunes was the hat. Keltner's statement that Jeff 'had a beautiful way of playing hi hat', and it's true. Such an effortless, silky way of playing that made anything sparkle.
"Homeboy" is just one example of that.

Thanks for the reminder!
T

Cool, yeah I really like his hat playing with two hand as well as just one! He always got a nice sound from those paistes..

Cheers alexdrum, ill check that track out. And no im not italian! just a slight (originaly unintentional) play on my name, Tim Hiscocks. I realised what it said after I created numerous email accounts!

P.S. I can confirm another track where he plays absolutely amazing hand-to-hand hi hat is on a track called 'gone Buttlefishin'' on James Newton Howards 'Freinds' album, which was originaly reccomended by Stu-Strib on this thread which I then bought. Thanks again for that reccomendation. Jeff really has played on too many things!

Tim
Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 AM

Tim,

Buttlefishin' is such a great track, isn't it!?

My all-time favorite for hats is Lady Love Me (One More Time) by George Benson. Again, one handed sixteenths!

A few more I highly recommend...

Lonely Talk, Michael McDonald
Any Foolish Thing, Michael McDonald (Best shuffle in my opinion)
Point It Up, Larry Carlton (The groove at 3':44" in is to die for!)

Alexdrum,

All Dressed up is really growing on me at the moment. Wrong Side Of The Tracks is awesome. I love the break in the middle of the song, that trademark opening of the hi-hat followed by a nice triplet roll on the snare! =)
Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer View Post
Yes, the 8th note hihat part is part of the original drum track, while the 16ths are an overdub. There's an old article from Modern Drummer where he talks about the Silk Degrees sessions and how he had fun improvising with himself for that overdub.
actually Porcaro DIDN'T like the idea of a double tracked hi-hat on that tune at first. but apparently he got over it quickly for sure!!

still my 2nd favorite drummer after Buddy.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAKA View Post
Tim,

My all-time favorite for hats is Lady Love Me (One More Time) by George Benson. Again, one handed sixteenths!

Alexdrum,

All Dressed up is really growing on me at the moment. Wrong Side Of The Tracks is awesome. I love the break in the middle of the song, that trademark opening of the hi-hat followed by a nice triplet roll on the snare! =)
Another great track is "Without you" on Runaway by Bill Champlin: great fill at the intro.
Check out also "Satisfaction" on the same album and then tell me who is the drummer 'cause I'm pretty sure it isn't Jeffrey (maybe is John Robinson)...
Old 12-11-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Another great track is "Without you" on Runaway by Bill Champlin: great fill at the intro.
Check out also "Satisfaction" on the same album and then tell me who is the drummer 'cause I'm pretty sure it isn't Jeffrey (maybe is John Robinson)...
To my (limited!) knowledge, the only track with Jeff on that album is Without You. I agree, Satisfaction is very JR. And yes, great opening fill!

Talking of fills, here's a gem for you (if you don't know it already)...

Superstar, by Richard Marx.

You know that fill from How Many Times / Toto (4:05 in), well at the end of Superstar, you can hear the same fill slowed right down, here you can really break it down and hear how it's done.

And here's a challenge for you...

The album View From The Ground by America has no track credits. Have a listen and tell me which tracks you think are Jeff. I have my ideas, but don't want to influence your decision.

Last edited by remoAKA; 01-11-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Tim,

Alexdrum,

Cheers guys, thatll be a couple more hours on amazon then! I didnt even know he played on a Benson album, ill look that one up. Is it older or newer than 'give me the night'?

Alexdrum: What kind of genre is Bill Champlin? Ill check that out

Totally agree with you on 'any foolish thing' thats always been my favourite shuffle groove of his, more so than rosanna. It is more simple and just flows nicely I think.

Any one know where I can get 'All dressed up' from? Amazon uk dont have it and amazon us have it only second hand and not international shipping....

As for the America album, ive never heard it but JRs hats are normally quite distinctive 'light' sounding... Although I still cant decide who plays which songs on Madonnas 'like a prayer', which they both play on too....V annoying when they dont list track credits!

Tim
Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Hi Tim

You're most welcome. I can talk all day when it comes to JP.

The Benson album is In Your Eyes (1983), slightly later than GMTN i think. I highly recommend this album. It has only one Jeff track, but the rest are made up of Steve Gadd, Carlos Vega, Steve Ferrone etc!!!!!!! Superb Album.

This has been posted before I assume, but it's like the bible to me. I have a print out handy when out shopping for music!! (Sad B**tard!!)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~cybraria/

Happy hunting!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, I believe Jeff's groove can be heard on the track Cherish (Like A Prayer). There's no specific credit to that, but I read it in a mag somewhere. One listen, and it will confirm it I think!

I hate it when there's no credits. There's too many examples of this!!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Think ive seen that list before and refered to it when buying cd's too. Certainly enough material to work on!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, forgot to mention, I believe Jeff's groove can be heard on the track Cherish (Like A Prayer). There's no specific credit to that, but I read it in a mag somewhere. One listen, and it will confirm it I think!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh,
this hunting for Jeff Porcaro uncredited track is gettin VERY INTERESTING....
I also vote for "Cherish" being a Jeff Porcaro's take.

On the same album, I'm pretty sure it's Johnathan "sugarfoot" Moffet on "Like a prayer".
Pay attention to his trademark rolls on the hi-hat and the fact that they are played mostly with the tips only, not with the shoulders. Plus his hi-hat sound doesn't recall the Paiste sound.

Bill Champlin "Runaway" album is an A.O.R. masterpiece, very highly recommended.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
On the same album, I'm pretty sure it's Johnathan "sugarfoot" Moffet on "Like a prayer".
Pay attention to his trademark rolls on the hi-hat and the fact that they are played mostly with the tips only, not with the shoulders. Plus his hi-hat sound doesn't recall the Paiste sound.
Yes, I imagine moffet when listening to this tune. I know that Express Yourself is all JR.

PS, Lee Ritenour's another "I don't wanna bother crediting my tracks" cat!

Captain Fingers is such a good album. BUT NO CREDITS!!!!!! =(
Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 PM

I love this...

http://www.granatino.com/sdresource/md2.htm
Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

I have that issue of Modern Drummer and I'm so glad I do. Every year or so I go back and read that article, as it's a great reminder of what makes for beautiful drumming AND music..
Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
To my (limited!) knowledge, the only track with Jeff on that album is Without You. I agree, Satisfaction is very JR. (Too funky for Ed Greene in my opinion). And yes, great opening fill!

Talking of fills, here's a gem for you (if you don't know it already)...

Superstar, by Richard Marx.

You know that fill from How Many Times / Toto (4:05 in), well at the end of Superstar, you can hear the same fill slowed right down, here you can really break it down and hear how it's done.

And here's a challenge for you...

The album View From The Ground by America has no track credits. Have a listen and tell me which tracks you think are Jeff. I have my ideas, but don't want to influence your decision.
Sure:
track 2
track 3
track 4
track 5
track 6
track 7
track 9
Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Sure:
track 2
track 3
track 4
track 5
track 6
track 7
track 9
I had 3,4,5,7 & 9. I couldn't be sure about track 2. But track 6 is sounding more like JP to me.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I had 3,4,5,7 & 9. I couldn't be sure about track 2. But track 6 is sounding more like JP to me.
I mainly pay attention to the sound of the drums and cymbals.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Administrator

here's a great porcaro find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3TynkVYh4

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Nice find NJ

It's really great to be able to put an image to a recording.

This is great too. It takes a while to download but it's worth the wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UL1_Xv_5_Q
Old 12-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
here's a great porcaro find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3TynkVYh4
Raw groove at its finest! Love the clips of them figuring it out.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
I've noticed that Manu Katche also plays on the "On every street" album

However, there are no indications in my booklet regarding which songs are played by Porcaro and which ones by Katche.

From previous posts in this thread, I see that Porcaro plays "Calling Elvis" and "Heavy Fuel"... Anybody knows about the other songs ?

Actually, Manu Katche played on Heavy Fuel. The rest is Jeff.

I saw Manu at the Ultimate Drummers Day in Australia many years ago, and he told a hilarious story about the session.

He also said he was very wary of playing on that record, because in his mind it was Jeff's record, and they were very good friends. Apparently Mark convinced him to do a few takes and the result was Heavy Fuel.

As far as I can remember, it was his first take, he actually thought it was pretty average but apparently Mark dug it so they used it.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 AM

Yeah; that's Jeff on "Cherish".

One of the 702 album credits he had .....working on his diosgraphy at Toto Network, I found things he had played on that I had forgotten about.

"Heavy Fuel" from Dire Straits is definitely Jeff. (Something about the kick drum is the give-away).

Check it out. This guy was EVERYWHERE.

Quote:

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 AM

THIS ONE'S FOR TIM

Champlin is one of Chicago's lead vocalists, and has been in the biz for 35 years or so.
Go find yourself a copy of "Lossen up Naturally" by "the Sons of Champlin" for starters.

;-)

Lukather and Champlin took a Grammy for "Turn Your Love Around" in '81. Bill is West Coast/R&B/Funk/Soul....hard to put him in one bag.

Jeff's work on "Runaway" is awesome.

Quote:
Cheers guys, thatll be a couple more hours on amazon then! I didnt even know he played on a Benson album, ill look that one up. Is it older or newer than 'give me the night'?

Alexdrum: What kind of genre is Bill Champlin? Ill check that out

Totally agree with you on 'any foolish thing' thats always been my favourite shuffle groove of his, more so than rosanna. It is more simple and just flows nicely I think.

Any one know where I can get 'All dressed up' from? Amazon uk dont have it and amazon us have it only second hand and not international shipping....

As for the America album, ive never heard it but JRs hats are normally quite distinctive 'light' sounding... Although I still cant decide who plays which songs on Madonnas 'like a prayer', which they both play on too....V annoying when they dont list track credits!

Tim
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro --CREDITS LIST

HI GUYS AND GALS:

Those of you wanting to see what Jeff's credits were....do yourselves a big favor.

JEFFREY'S DISCOGRAPHY is HERE.

I'm the somebody that had that project dropped in my lap...."here, manage compiling this", somebody said. So I did.

SIX WEEKS, and the help of three others. There are ALBUM covers, track lists, and lists of the other guys and gals on each album.

702 DIFFERENT CREDITS!
Folks, that's an insane amount of work. 33 different projects a year over the course of 21 years. My humble opinion? Jeff's heart said, "...you're NOT working me that hard anymore, pal...I resign; I QUIT!"

Before he left us, he tracked "Rhythm of the Rain" with Dan Fogelberg (vocals, Rhodes), and Mike Porcaro (on bass).

Someone I know ventured, "...this track proves Jeff was legend at saying so much with so little."
(The opening hi-hat hiss is proof, but it's his kick drum here that nails me. What soul!)
Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 PM

gretschgal1, thank you for a job well done!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
gretschgal1, thank you for a job well done!

Tony,
If you mean the Toto Network thing, I had major help from several on that project.
It was so much fun. It was frustrating at times to format--or to find rare tracks-but that's when you call in other people who might know things you didn't.

Jeff had 702 credits that I've counted, and perhaps that's only HALF of his credits-everything else either on a shelf somewhere, or never used......but it's a safe bet to say he played his back pockets off while he was here.

T
Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Tony,
If you mean the Toto Network thing, I had major help from several on that project.
It was so much fun. It was frustrating at times to format--or to find rare tracks-but that's when you call in other people who might know things you didn't.

Jeff had 702 credits that I've counted, and perhaps that's only HALF of his credits-everything else either on a shelf somewhere, or never used......but it's a safe bet to say he played his back pockets off while he was here.

T
Yes, I was referring to that. I really admire your (and the others) work on that.
Without this kind of information, I wouldn't have such a great record collection!

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro- Ride pattern on "Pamela"

For some reason this week, the tune "Pamela" cued from my playlist and toward the end of the tune (2nd chorus maybe?) Jeff's ride cymbal pattern just NAILED me. It was almost as if that groove yelled, "hey-been here all along, why did you just now notice?"

(It seems every time I hear something he played -another facet of his work shows up real sneaky like....!).

Jeff, for all his rock drummer chops, could swing a ride! He was firmly rooted in jazz, of this I am convinced.

That 2nd chorus to the fade of the tune is just killer!

T
Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Okay Guys/Gals

I'd like some more opinions on the Dire Straits album please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkor View Post
Actually, Manu Katche played on Heavy Fuel. The rest is Jeff.

I saw Manu at the Ultimate Drummers Day in Australia many years ago, and he told a hilarious story about the session.

He also said he was very wary of playing on that record, because in his mind it was Jeff's record, and they were very good friends. Apparently Mark convinced him to do a few takes and the result was Heavy Fuel.

As far as I can remember, it was his first take, he actually thought it was pretty average but apparently Mark dug it so they used it.
That's really interesting.

As a first listen, I thought, yep that's Jeff. Listening a bit harder, I'm sure I can hear some trade mark Katche splashes. Like maybe a 12" or something? Something you would rarely hear Jeff play.

I can say the same for "Planet New Orleans" though. The drumming on this track reminds me of something you'd hear from Sting's "Soul Cages".

The rest of the tracks sound Jeffrey like, with those big Paistes and that brush work.

Ahhh! I wish they'd credit properly!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Okay Guys/Gals

I'd like some more opinions on the Dire Straits album please...

That's really interesting.

As a first listen, I thought, yep that's Jeff. Listening a bit harder, I'm sure I can hear some trade mark Katche splashes. Like maybe a 12" or something? Something you would rarely hear Jeff play.

I can say the same for "Planet New Orleans" though. The drumming on this track reminds me of something you'd hear from Sting's "Soul Cages".

The rest of the tracks sound Jeffrey like, with those big Paistes and that brush work.

Ahhh! I wish they'd credit properly!!!!!!!
Absolutely correct: "Planet of New Orleans" is Manu. Definetly. The splashes and hi-hat rolls are his trademarks.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro "On Every Street"

THE FOLLOWING is taken from the website "Jeff Porcaro Session Tracks"

--Dire Straits / On Every Street (Warner, 1991)
No track specific credits; 1 of 2 drummers (also Manu Katche); known to be on*)
Track list: *Calling Elvis - On every street - When it comes to you - Fade to black - The bug - You and your friend - Heavy fuel - Iron hand - Ticket to heaven - *My parties - Planet of New Orleans - How long

SOMEWHERE, I believe Keltner credited Jeff with "Heavy Fuel" --in an interview after Jeff passed away. I'll keep looking for that.
OBNOTE: I looked on my copy of "Sultans of Swing/Best of..." and both Jeff and Manu are credited but not for particular tunes. I DO BELIEVE Jeff played on "the Bug" from "On Every Street". That just sounds like a track he'd do.

OBSERVATION: Hungate has stated Jeff had a pretty cryptic sense of humor and had a quick wit. Toward the end of "Heavy Fuel" there's a shot somebody takes at a ride cymbal bell, real quick "take THAT" sort of lick. Something tells me that's Jeff.

I'll keep digging 'til I find his name (or don't) on that track. I think it's in the interview with Keltner. We gotta find the answer to this one.

T
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Gretsch,

Yep, totally. We need to know the answer to this one!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro "On Every Street"

Quote:
THE FOLLOWING is taken from the website "Jeff Porcaro Session Tracks"

--Dire Straits / On Every Street (Warner, 1991)
No track specific credits; 1 of 2 drummers (also Manu Katche); known to be on*)
Track list: *Calling Elvis - On every street - When it comes to you - Fade to black - The bug - You and your friend - Heavy fuel - Iron hand - Ticket to heaven - *My parties - Planet of New Orleans - How long

SOMEWHERE, I believe Keltner credited Jeff with "Heavy Fuel" --in an interview after Jeff passed away. I'll keep looking for that.
OBNOTE: I looked on my copy of "Sultans of Swing/Best of..." and both Jeff and Manu are credited but not for particular tunes. I DO BELIEVE Jeff played on "the Bug" from "On Every Street". That just sounds like a track he'd do.

OBSERVATION: Hungate has stated Jeff had a pretty cryptic sense of humor and had a quick wit. Toward the end of "Heavy Fuel" there's a shot somebody takes at a ride cymbal bell, real quick "take THAT" sort of lick. Something tells me that's Jeff.

I'll keep digging 'til I find his name (or don't) on that track. I think it's in the interview with Keltner. We gotta find the answer to this one.

T

To me "Heavy fuel" it's Manu.
Because:
sec. 15: splash sound, typical of Manu;
1.14: again, small crash cymbal, it's Manu;
1.32: three stroke roll on hi-hat: it's Manu;
2.33: again, small crash cymbals, Manu;
2.47: spalsh cymbal;
4.20: the fill is not in the Porcaro style. Actually I've never heard JP playing this fill.

Plus, the hi-hat sound is not a Paiste sound, it's a Zildjian New or Quick Beat: it has a fatter sound but not lower not higher than a perfect medium, while I'd define the JP hi-hat sound more silky.
Again: the use of the toms and floor toms. Very "african", to me it's Manu, the way he plays tom fills it's very down-earthy, african, warm.
The sound of the snare and the way Manu plays very dragged-ghost notes in between backbeats.

To me it's Manu.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Gretsch,

Yep, totally. We need to know the answer to this one!!!
It would be cool to ask Steve Lukather or JP son, Miles Porcaro, on Myspace (I've got both contacts) to shed light on this debate...