DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-14-2007, 06:58 AM

Default kick spring stretching?

Recently I have changed my pedal from an older Iron Cobra to a newer Pearl eliminator. After many adjustments and attemps to find the 'sweet spot' [ I have tryed all the cams and settings]I have come to the conclusion that my problems in feel [with doubles ] has been spring tension. I normally play loose tension, but find even the loosest setting is still too stiff. Does anybody ever stretch their springs, cranked up over night, Is this a common practice for new pedals/ springs?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Re: kick spring stretching?

Not that I'm aware of. But I know what you mean. I've got Cobra's. I tried them all. Most of those pedals are very similar, in my opinion, they are almost TOO adjustable. I went nuts trying every possible combination of tensions, cams, beater angles, footboard angles, etc.
Finally, about a year ago, I bought some brand new Ludwig Speed Kings. That's right, Speed Kings. Takes all the guess work out, because you can't adjust a thing. Well, you can adjust the springs, but you'll screw 'em up if you do. Just play them right out of the box. Their secret is compression springs, and solid linkage, no chain, no straps. They are so quick and light, that they force you to actually work on good foot technique. I haven't looked back.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:36 AM

yes interesting, that was my gut feeling, just go simple, and strip it all down. i never played a speedking, perhaps its time.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

I never heard the "loose" extreme, but I know a cat who runs 2 springs on his pedal for xtra "more" tension, so why not? I'd measure different manufactures spring lengths. Tama's might be slightly longer than the Pearl. Or, you might find a way to lentghen either connector end/fastener piece to get a looser setting. About the Speed King. Check out the "Reaquainted with an old friend" thread. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33620 I just posted 2 pics of a Speed King with a floor plate. Simple modification that really brings that pedal into the new millenium.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
...I just posted 2 pics of a Speed King with a floor plate. Simple modification that really brings that pedal into the new millenium.
Hey Harry,

Thanks for reposting the Speed King modifications thread. I've always felt the the
Speed King was the fastest, easiest pedal on the market. However, the ones that I've had only lasted a few months before the floor plate gave out. I like your mod.

Now, if i could only figure out how to get the rod at the heel plate to not round out.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmason777 View Post
Not that I'm aware of. But I know what you mean. I've got Cobra's. I tried them all. Most of those pedals are very similar, in my opinion, they are almost TOO adjustable. I went nuts trying every possible combination of tensions, cams, beater angles, footboard angles, etc.
Finally, about a year ago, I bought some brand new Ludwig Speed Kings. That's right, Speed Kings. Takes all the guess work out, because you can't adjust a thing. Well, you can adjust the springs, but you'll screw 'em up if you do. Just play them right out of the box. Their secret is compression springs, and solid linkage, no chain, no straps. They are so quick and light, that they force you to actually work on good foot technique. I haven't looked back.

There seems to be such a different angle on the speedking footboard. Was there a huge change in the way you played. Must have taken a while to switch, did you gradually do it, or went cold turkey from your old one to the speedking?