DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-06-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Double Bass Pedal Problem

Is it normal that the left pedal is harder to push down than the right pedal?
let me explain:

i set the tensions equal, i set the beaters equal, everything appears to be equal.

when i press down the right pedal with my hands (im only using my hands to test it) and let go quickly, the beater swings back and forth numerous times for maybe 30 seconds. when i do the same with the left pedal, the beater swings back and forth for maybe only 3-5 seconds.

while playing, using the right foot on the right pedal, i play at my skill level. when i move my throne over so that i can play with my right foot on my left pedal, the rebound is much less and the pedal is harder to push down. am i stuck with this, or can this be adjusted?

im using Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedals by the way.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Mystic

Default Re: Double Bass Pedal Problem

Try setting the left pedal a little looser or maybe its a defective pedal
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 AM

it does this with my dixon double pedal too.

i was going to ask this question, but you beat me to it.

im not sure why it is, but there is most certainly nothing wrong with your pedals.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Try adjusting the spring tension down a bit. You have allot more real estate to cover between your pedal and your beater on the secondary pedal with the distance between the pedal and the beater and you also have the added weight of the linkage that connects the two. It will probably take a little time to find the sweet spot in it but you'll find it, you might even try backing the tension all the way off and starting from there then adding tension in 1/2 turn increments.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Find an appropriate spring guage. something that can be used to determing the spring strength with. Based on stretch disatnce, you should be able to at least get a ball park on the difference in the springs.

If the beaters are identical, bearing assemblies are identical, etc...the only variable is the springs.

Also...don't forget that your feet aren't necessarily the same (mine aren't)...despite how much I try to get them to be. Identical pedals might not be the answer to ped-equaility.

Andy
Old 12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Mystic

I use 2 bass drums so I have 2 seperate pedals so I rarely run into this problem
Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I use 2 bass drums so I have 2 seperate pedals so I rarely run into this problem
True but this doesn't help solve his problem.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Mystic

I realize that but it could give him a second thought next time to get a 2 bass drum kit or at least let him know that I don't have complete knowledge of a double pedal.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Like many of us you are probably dominant on your right side. Your left foot does not play as many rhythmic figures on the bass drum as your right foot. Therefore its most likely not as developed, thus it feels different.

But who knows...it could be spring tension.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Even the finest double pedals will have a slightly different feel between the master and slave pedal.

There are several U-joints and a tie bar between the two mechanisms which will alter the feel and action no matter how you adjust it.

Add to that the fact that if you are right leg dominant (or left leg, it matters not, I'm just explaining by way of example.), the left leg and foot will not have the muscle tone and memory of the other leg, and will not be able to articulate the slave pedal as deftly as the dominant side….without lots of practice.

This phenomenon is amplified with less expensive and or lower quality pedals.

Don't sweat it. Adjust it as best you can; you will eventually acclimate to the feel and action to the point where you won’t even notice the difference; it will feel quite natural to you.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I realize that but it could give him a second thought next time to get a 2 bass drum kit or at least let him know that I don't have complete knowledge of a double pedal.
But unlike you, most of us can't afford double basses. That's why he is asking about a double PEDAL.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:06 AM

I had the same problem as you when I bought my pedals. (I also play Iron Cobras.) And although I don't consider myself to be that great on double pedals, I do see improvement between now and when I started with them. Like the others have said, it's mainly a matter of trying different settings and adjustments, whether it's spring tension, drive shaft length, or pedal placement. After a while, you'll find a setting/positioning that works for you.

I've never timed my beater movements in seconds, but I usually compare my master and slave pedals with what I call a "beater spring ratio." I'll pull each beater back and release it from the same distance and count how many times it moves forward. Usually I'll get a 25 to 12 (master to slave) count, almost 50%, which feels pretty good when I play. Once I get the weight of my feet on the pedals, the difference between the two becomes practically negligible.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
But unlike you, most of us can't afford double basses. That's why he is asking about a double PEDAL.
Hey do u have metal up your ass? (just kidding) but it costs just as much for another bass drum as a double pedal, well varying on the set u have it could go either way but anyway u gotta just set the pedal up right and build your chops up to your setting
Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 AM

Actually, Mystic, considering most good double pedals cost $300-500, and most bass drums for mid-high end kits cost anywhere between $500-1200 (maybe even more than that!), it does cost a lot less for just a pedal. And there's also the issue of space, both in practice areas and on stage.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Possibly bring your double pedal into the guitar center and see if the guys there can do anything. Although the advice here is good, maybe a guy there might have experience.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM

It is all a function of extra mass and friction dampening the "reciprocal motion" of the free-swinging beater after you push down on the left side. you have at least double the number of bearing surfaces (one or two on slave pedal, one or two near beater mount point), the frictional/torque losses at the U-joints, play in the U-joints (even if not visually noticeable) and the weight of the whole connection shaft to accelerate/decelerate with every part of the beater swing.

The only two pedals I ever saw get close to matching were an Axis-A and a DW5000-ND2. With the DW, it took cleaning out the U-joints and applying liberal amounts of a teflon/lithium grease compound at every pivot or bearing point. On both of these pedals, it took intentionally setting the left spring to a different tension/leverage point than the right side.

You can either have the same feel or the same performance, but not both. The Axis was by far the closest between sides, and I believe that was because we could change the leverage ratio/connecton point of the direct drive to compensate for the additional mass.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey do u have metal up your ass? (just kidding) but it costs just as much for another bass drum as a double pedal, well varying on the set u have it could go either way but anyway u gotta just set the pedal up right and build your chops up to your setting
Bro, I have a double bass kit. I know about chops on feet.

Anyway, you have to be kidding me. A decent second bass drum is $400-700 and a Iron Cobra powerglide double pedals is $300. Way less.

Anyway, what kind of double bass you got? Got any cool pics?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Mystic

I have pearl export one which cost me $330 but you do have a point if you are going into the higher series but as I am in the low end intermediate kits it doesn't cost me as much but if you think about it, it cost more because you buy the extra bass then you need to get the new pedals anyway if you wanna be anywhere near the big drummers you know, and I do not have any pics up atm but if you have seen the discontinued wine red 7 piece pearl export from say musiciansfriend that is my set and I have it set up nearly the same. What kind do you have?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have pearl export one which cost me $330 but you do have a point if you are going into the higher series but as I am in the low end intermediate kits it doesn't cost me as much but if you think about it, it cost more because you buy the extra bass then you need to get the new pedals anyway if you wanna be anywhere near the big drummers you know, and I do not have any pics up atm but if you have seen the discontinued wine red 7 piece pearl export from say musiciansfriend that is my set and I have it set up nearly the same. What kind do you have?
Right now, a Royce. I'm still trying to get a new one. I have nothing against my Royce, but it's old, and seen its days.