DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Direct Drive Pedals RE: Purchasing

Opinions and guides...

I am looking for a decent direct to drive pedal and have only had the priviledge of playing the single pedal direct drive Trick pedal that was available at the drum shop. I was wondering if any of you have had the chance to play the new Pacific B.O.A.'s, Trick V1 Pro's, or the Axis AL-2 (Longboards). I am really liking the XL-2 (Shortboard) axis pedals but haven't really been able to find a place to try them out. If any of you have owned any of these pedals please, tell me your thoughts on them and how you like/dislike them.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Direct Drive Pedals RE: Purchasing

Most around here would say I'm a pretty big supporter of the Axis pedals. I use the AL-2 longboards. I played for many years on single and double chain and strapdrive. I got a great deal on the Axis and had tested them out a few times before making the decision to buy. The learning curve is pretty big because of the direct feel. It can be frustrating. I'm happy with them though. Some have expressed some problems with Axis customer service (not I), and some have talked about their reliability. Also some don't like the butt-screw (allen head) style of setscrew and that they have too many adjustments. I haven't had any issues with mine. Regardless of pedal make, I take care of my equipment. Which I believe is the highest preventative maintenance you can do...certainly much easier to do routine maintenance than it is to have broken gear.

Best thing you can do is find out where the pedal is being sold, or maybe someone near you who has one and will let you test drive it. I haven't tried the BOA's, but I hear they're decent. I tested the Trick Pro-V1 and hated them. To sloppy, not enough spring to make em' snappy like the Axis can set.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the guide, yeah a friend just called me this evening and also has the AL-2's, he was saying he'd take them over the trick pedals anyday for the same reason you had mentioned. I have tested the single pedal version of the longboard and the response is fine since I do a lot of heel-toe anyways.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

I'm not a big heel-toe guy myself. Just enjoy having a set of peals that I'm super comfy with.