DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Mystic

Default Good Retail Stores

Hey everyone post your favorite retail stores here, I have only found one that beats musiciansfriend's prices but thats only after u go over $100 for the free shipping check it out www.midwestpecussion.com
Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Good Retail Stores

I don't mean to be the "Post Police" here, but I think we have several if not a dozen similar threads to this one already...

Usually the list ends up looking something like this.

MUSIC123
MASSMUSIC
GEORGES DRUMSHOP
MIDWESTPERCUSSION
SAMASH

Then it goes into a complaint section about how all guitar center, samash, music123 is really owned by the same people and blah blah blah. I'll delete this post once I'm in a more chipper mood. Sorry.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Mystic

hahaha its alright man I didn't really see any threads like this but guess I'll have to look harder ty for the reply, you don't need to delete it.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

LI Drum, Manny's, Sam Ash.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 PM
fourstringdrums

I've been trying to order locally when I can, but when I order online I love www.massmusic.net, which was already mentioned.

I've also been wanting to try out Shane (Groove's) store, www.justdrumsonline.com
Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM

West Coast Drum Center - Santa Ana CA
Chad Sexton's Drum City - North Hollywood CA
Professional Drum Shop - Hollywood CA
Drum Headquarters - St. Louis MO

Cultivate a relationship with any of these -- don't just go in with a Guitar Center catalog and play the beat-this-price game -- and you will get deals that blow the doors off of the dot-coms. And you'll probably meet some cool people.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Mystic

hey guys thx for all of these I have found some damn good deals at mass music but what is their shipping policy cause I thought midwest was good for under $100 products but it tunred out their shipping was about $10 :( but I'm looking forward to good shipping prices from mass music
Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post

Cultivate a relationship with any of these -- don't just go in with a Guitar Center catalog and play the beat-this-price game -- and you will get deals that blow the doors off of the dot-coms. And you'll probably meet some cool people.
I don't live near any of those places or do you just mean make a good relationship with local store owners? because I don't even live by a music store... but I do have a friend who works with musiciansfriend but she only gets like 10% off on most items but she gets some wicked deals on zildjian and gretsch stuff so I'm just looking for a place I can get good deals at until I can get those door blowing deals from employee discounts :D
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

I like Forks Drum Closet in Nashville. They are some great people to deal with.

www.forksdrumcloset.com
Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:

I consider myself a pretty patient guy, but I've had nothing but trouble with my last three orders from West Coast Drums, and I'm never going back. They may be a little cheaper on heads and sticks, but you'll wait forever to get your stuff.

Ordered new top & bottom heads on 11/16 and I'm still waiting. They managed to charge my card immediately, though.

Then I week went by and I heard nothing. Nada.

When I finally called to ask what was going on, they said "a couple of heads were on backorder" and they were "waiting to be able to ship my order complete". What's wrong with sending the 12 of the 14 heads they do have? Come on....

They should be as fast with their communication and customer service as they are with charging your credit card. It's shady at best & downright dirty at worst.

You don't even want to hear about what happened with my drum order...

Take 'em off your list and consider yourself warned......
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky.widget View Post

You don't even want to hear about what happened with my drum order...

Take 'em off your list and consider yourself warned......
I've actually had great luck with them and never any troubles.

I'd actually like to know what problems you had with your drum order. If you don't want to air dirty laundry in public, please PM me.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
I like Forks Drum Closet in Nashville. They are some great people to deal with.

www.forksdrumcloset.com
hmm I just checked out their site and they didn't have the variety most of the others had but what they had was a bit of a better deal than what I've seen
Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

The Drum Pad-Palatine IL

www.thedrumpad.com

that place rocks!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
The Drum Pad-Palatine IL

www.thedrumpad.com

that place rocks!!
i've been there and then to just drums (groove) down in richmond once i moved to virginia . both are awesome. they have that anti-box store vibe going on. i'll never go to another box store again - even if it cost a few bucks more.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I've actually had great luck with them and never any troubles.

I'd actually like to know what problems you had with your drum order. If you don't want to air dirty laundry in public, please PM me.

Chonson -

Done. If anybody else would like a good read, PM me.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
hey guys thx for all of these I have found some damn good deals at mass music but what is their shipping policy cause I thought midwest was good for under $100 products but it tunred out their shipping was about $10 :( but I'm looking forward to good shipping prices from mass music
not sure entirely.. whenever i order something from Mass Music it generally costs me about $12-14 for most things.. and it comes Ground from AZ to my place in NJ.. so the cost is about right. I've also never had to worry about backordered items - the guys at Mass give accurate shipment times and I always get my items as promised.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
not sure entirely.. whenever i order something from Mass Music it generally costs me about $12-14 for most things.. and it comes Ground from AZ to my place in NJ.. so the cost is about right. I've also never had to worry about backordered items - the guys at Mass give accurate shipment times and I always get my items as promised.
mm so shipping is 12-14? maybe not such great deals :( is their free shipping over $99?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
mm so shipping is 12-14? maybe not such great deals :( is their free shipping over $99?
I think it depends on the size or item.. But generally no.. In fact I ordered an electronic cymbal about 3 weeks ago that was $105 and I had to pay shipping on it, FYI. But I'll gladly pay a minor shipping charge in exchange for no added sales tax!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 PM

No offense to Mystic here, but I have to laugh when anyone grumbles about having to pay for shipping in this day and age, especially considering the price of gas is as high or higher as its ever been, even when adjusted for inflation. Sure it's a nice perk, and on an order of $100, $12-14 on top certainly seems sizeable, but you have to look at it this way...

Chances are, product X, that a dealer sells for $100, probably costs the dealer $75-80. THEN the dealer has to ship it in to their store, which depending on the item and where it comes from, probably has an average cost of $8-10.

So, the basic NET price to the dealer on this $100 (to you) item is $83-90. Now factor in that we get charged by a 3rd party when running credit cards or using Paypal, and, that it costs money to pay rent, pay employees, keep the lights on, etc. This costs varies amongst retailers, but certainly factors in. Let's say it costs $3 per item (I really have no idea what this cost actually is, but it ain't cheap). This eats away even more at the margin above.

Now for the important part. That $12-14 that Trip mentioned he gets charged to ship stuff from AZ to NJ is almost certainly less than it actually costs to get stuff 3000 miles from point A to point B. Even in cases with lightweight items going next door (let's say Phoenix to LA or SD), the minimum shipping cost is $6-8 for the lightest of items, usually closer to the $8-10 I mentioned before.

So the equation is, at a minimum: item ($75) + inbound shipping ($8) + outbound shipping ($8) + misc costs ($3) = $94.00. Your price ($100) - my cost ($94) = $6.00. No offense, but I'm not going to bust my ass to make $6.00. Chances are, if I give someone free shipping on an order of $100.00, I will actually LOSE money, and that, to me, defeats the purpose of running a business.

The flipside is two-fold. Oftentimes on larger dollar amount orders, we can give free shipping without losing our shirts, or at least eat a significant portion of it. Additionally, I often give loyal customers (some who have been shopping with Mass since I started there in 2002), free shipping on just about everything, save for a single drum head or brick of sticks.

My advice to you, even if you are young and every penny counts even more so than it does for the rest of us, is pick a store, any store, that has a good reputation and gives you great service, and give that store as much business as you can, unless they start to fail you, then don't hesitate to go elsewhere. $10 here and there is nothing compared to having an established, trust-filled relationship

/rant :)
Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

Andy - i have absolutely no problem with shipping/freight cost added. especially due to the things you mentioned above. i just can't understand how some stores charge what they do for it though.

in my day to day job many times i have to figure in shipping costs and go to UPS or FedEx and determine those costs based on the information i have to enter to determine them. so i know what it DOES cost to mail a certain package based on weight and destination.

but when i see a company who just automatically states "please add X dollars for shipping and handling" then i know someone is getting ripped, and it ain't the shipper.

i've seen packages where a certain "added" amount for freight was posted, whereas according to UPS/FedEx it was nowhere near that amount to send. so why should a customer have to spend $11 for a package when actual shipping cost was somewhere around $3 and change?
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Mystic

I agree with nick and I don't see why you come on my thread with such a bad attitude towards me because first of all I am not grumbling at the shipping price, but I was grumbling at the idea that I thought I found a store that beat the prices of some of those other dealers and it turns out that the shipping price makes up for the given price at any other store. So really mass music is the same as shopping at for say musiciansfriend unless someone were to get a deal from one of the employees at mass music.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
So really mass music is the same as shopping at for say musiciansfriend unless someone were to get a deal from one of the employees at mass music.
I don't see any negative attitude in his post, he was just being realistic in business models. It makes perfect sense what he is saying, if he gave everyone free shipping on any item, his business would be screwed (though rather popular I imagine..); but since larger items = sometimes a bigger profit margin taking a shipping hit there is reasonable. I know exactly where he's from because of my own experience doing some s&r for a small warehouse a few years ago. And I noticed in my work that the boxes arriving from larger warehouses often were poorly packaged and handled whereas what I sent out and what I received from a smaller operation was always on-time and well packaged.
And the fact that he manages to compete so well against MF, which owns a massive share of the musical instrument industry, is shearly amazing. I know that most times I walk into a store other than GC (which is MusiciansFriend's "outlet" store), I expect to pay more because they simply can't buy in bulk what MF does. But I also know that I will be working with a person, and not the HTML code somebody programmed, and I can get a lot more customization in my order. Plus, as Andy mentioned, I can snag deals for being a repeat customer and such.
its my personal opinion that even though if i walk into Guitar Center, I know what they will have, there is also the matter of "i know what they will have." Guitar Center/ Musicians Friend carries what they can buy in bulk, which tends to be the "trendy" finishes and sets, which is why they seem so heavy on ddrum- because it sells well to young drummers and gives them a larger profit margin. When I walk into my Five Star shop or any other non-box store, I don't know what I'll find necessarily, but I know it will be quality and that it will be a good experience, and if they don't have what I want, I can have them order it and usually they absorb that shipping cost for me.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 AM
Mystic

Hey guys I see I am starting to create negative vibes toward people and I am sorry for being so ignorant and selfish about paying such a small shipping price but I found on some of the cheaper gear you get the same deal as u would at MF but as you go into the more expensive gear you do save quite a bit like the Tama IC comes out to $130 for a single and at MF it is $150, and again I appologize for creating any bad air with anyone, thx again for all of the replies.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

I think the lesson of the thread is, besides knowing a little bit about how business (in this case, music stores) and e-commerce work, we should all buy from Mass Music.

LOL!! :D