DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 AM

Default zoom h4

just ordered one from Amazon.com for $260. Apparently it was the last one they had in stock...

Can't wait to get it!! I'm looking forward to recording everything I do from now on. The board will probably get sick of me posting audio, but I'm psyched to actually have something I can record with easily.

I have a bluegrass band rehearsal on sunday and a ska band rehearsal on wednesday and I hope to record both of them in thier entirety... EVERYONE should buy one of these things.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: zoom h4

Congrats. I have one and it's amazing, definitely worth the money, and you got a good deal on yours.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Can anybody give an idea of how it compares to the H2?

Like most people, probably, I'm just looking for something I can set down in my practice room/area and record my playing (I'm actually dreading the day because I imagine most of my illusions about my own ability will be seriously tarnished :-P)
Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Can anybody give an idea of how it compares to the H2?

Like most people, probably, I'm just looking for something I can set down in my practice room/area and record my playing (I'm actually dreading the day because I imagine most of my illusions about my own ability will be seriously tarnished :-P)
Just from looking online, this is what I've gathered:

It's cheaper, $199 vs. $299.

It has 2 track recording capability vs. 4 track.

It has 4 mic's in a W-X/Y configuration vs. 2 condenser mics in an X/Y config. I don't know if that's better or not, as I know nothing about mics and home recording. Though, it says that you can record from the front at 90 degrees, or from the rear at 120 degrees. This to me sounds like it's not unidirectional and might be a bit more limited than the H4's setup.

It can take a 4GB SD card, while a stock H4 can only take a 2GB. But, I just read that a software update (which I'm about to do) will allow a 4GB to be used on the H4.

As far as I know, that's it. The H2 looks a little less durable than the H4, so that might be a concern too.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:57 AM

actually, if you upgrade the H4's firmware to the newest (which i think is 2.0) it can handle up to an EIGHT gig card...

The H2 apparently can be mixed down to a 5.1 channel output, so theoretically it records in surround sound, which could be cool.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

My bandmate has the H2 and we use it to record all sorta things...the quality is pretty darn good... I'm sure the H4 is going to be awesome for you.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:48 AM

I'm thinking of getting the H4 for Christmas, just hard to convince myself I need $100 more of recording equipment if the H2 does the job. That extra money could go towards my new hats, or that "Sound of Brushes" DVD ... lol.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 PM

Hey, just thought I'd give a follow-up for anybody else trying to decide if they should get the H4. I found it for $259 at Amazon (only $60 more than the H2) so decided to take the plunge. Got it a few days ago, and so far I'm very happy with it. You literally just turn it on, set it down, and play. The recording is fairly well balanced (my bass drum tends to drown out some of the other voices, particularly my ride, but toying with the placement may help this). You can record to WAV or MP3, and out of the box it will hold about 56 minutes of WAV and 8 hours of MP3.

I tend to record MP3 b/c my practices go between 2-3 hours. Quality is very good.

As for its usefulness: already I've identified some key areas to work on, which I wouldn't have if I'd never listened to such a good recording of myself playing.

So I definitely recommend it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Hey, just thought I'd give a follow-up for anybody else trying to decide if they should get the H4. I found it for $259 at Amazon (only $60 more than the H2) so decided to take the plunge. Got it a few days ago, and so far I'm very happy with it. You literally just turn it on, set it down, and play. The recording is fairly well balanced (my bass drum tends to drown out some of the other voices, particularly my ride, but toying with the placement may help this). You can record to WAV or MP3, and out of the box it will hold about 56 minutes of WAV and 8 hours of MP3.

I tend to record MP3 b/c my practices go between 2-3 hours. Quality is very good.

As for its usefulness: already I've identified some key areas to work on, which I wouldn't have if I'd never listened to such a good recording of myself playing.

So I definitely recommend it. Hope this helps.
Try putting it on a camera tripod as high as it will go (about 6 feet) and behind you. That helped me as far as placement goes.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

thanks for these posts! they have pretty much sealed my decision on buyin it. im tired of tryin to listen to the mumbo jumbo on a video camera..lol

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 12-11-2007, 03:33 AM

One quick follow-up: don't be fooled by the fact that the H4 takes batteries. You don't want to use batteries, it eats them incredibly fast (maybe if you have the patience for rechargeable batteries this won't be an issue for you). Better to use the power brick. Other than that i have zero complaints about the device.