DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Bass pedals

Ive been out of the drum scene for a long time and now that Im back Im blown away at how much stuff costs. I never thought I'd see the day when a single chain driven bass pedal costs $400 but they are out there! I bought a cheap kit and the bass pedal is new but has very little adjustability and Im trying to improve my footwork to the point where I wont need a double bass but I cant even get that far because this pedal has no rebound at all. But I refuse to pay big dollar for a bass pedal because if you take care of them a decent one is just as good. I dont play for 8 hours a day like a lot of people so Im not looking for pro gear or anything but I wanted some recommendations for a cheap bass pedal. Im sure a lot of you guys have varying opinions on bass pedals but anything is better than what Im using so I would like some suggestions based on your experience.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on beaters and what kind of material would result in a clean sound that also doesnt ruin the bass batter head? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Bass pedals

Here's a couple:

Tama Iron Cobra, $134.00:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...0321&langId=-1

Ludwig Pro Pedal with a plate, $96.98:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...gory_rn=123463

Without a plate is $64.98: http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...gory_rn=123463

I wouln't go cheaper. You can't really skimp on pedals.

---LG
Old 12-01-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
Ive been out of the drum scene for a long time and now that Im back Im blown away at how much stuff costs. I never thought I'd see the day when a single chain driven bass pedal costs $400 but they are out there! I bought a cheap kit and the bass pedal is new but has very little adjustability and Im trying to improve my footwork to the point where I wont need a double bass but I cant even get that far because this pedal has no rebound at all. But I refuse to pay big dollar for a bass pedal because if you take care of them a decent one is just as good. I dont play for 8 hours a day like a lot of people so Im not looking for pro gear or anything but I wanted some recommendations for a cheap bass pedal. Im sure a lot of you guys have varying opinions on bass pedals but anything is better than what Im using so I would like some suggestions based on your experience.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on beaters and what kind of material would result in a clean sound that also doesnt ruin the bass batter head? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Buy a P-120 from pearl should be around 50 dollars cheap, it is a very good pedal.
Use plastic beaters for max rebound and get a bass drum patch so your head doesnt rip
Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

The Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive pedal, currently being upgraded. Here's one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-Flying-Dr...QQcmdZViewItem the new one probably won't be much different from the old model. Probably expect to pay $125-$150 for the single and $225-$250 for the double pedal. I have about 13 different bass beaters. Felt, plastic, wood, combinations of two materials. Putting an "impact patch" of some type on the batter head will help longevity, as far as the beater diggin' a hole thru the bass head, but a worn out kick drum head is a worn out kick drum head, regardless of if it's got a dent or a hole.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

i second that about the Iron Cobra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 12-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
i second that about the Iron Cobra.

Alex
you can find the Iron cobra for that cheap (single pedal) double you can find it at about 290-330 from what I've seen
Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 AM

I play DW9000s, but I agree with those who suggested Tama Iron Cobras.

They are reasonably priced, very rugged, very adjustable and have a great feel. I have had several and was always pleased with them.

Look on eBay or craigslist, you can pick up a used one at a great price.

No modern pedal should damage or tear up your BD head unless it is set up incorrectly, or just plain abused. The type of beater you use depends on the type of sound that you want.

I'd stick with the felt beater heads if you want the BD batter to last longer, but remember, your drum head will eventually wear out and need to be replaced no matter what you do, well, aside from never playing at all.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Also you can get a falam slam patch to put on the head where the beater contacts it to give it a little more protection and help with wear.