DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Remo or Evans???

I really need some new heads and im really stuck between remo and evans??? its either ambassador or EC2 but which one....help!

Cheerz
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: REMO or EVANS???

Completely depends what catagory of skin, weather it is clear or coated, and what drums you are using them on.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 PM

FWIW, an ambassador & an EC2 are two completely different head designs. They will give you completely different sounds.

If you are trying to compare like heads, compare ambassador to G1, emperor to G2, pinstripes to EC2.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Ive had the same issue hoovering over me about witch heads to buy for my Sonor Force 2005
I've really had my mind set on Evans G2(or G1) but my Teacher uses remo ambassadors and emperors and I love the sound he gets from his Camco(ambassadors) and vintage Ludwig(with emperors) with all the quality control I've heard about the coated REMO heads has got me thinking Evans but I'm just not sure. Any updates on the remo quality control issues? Suggestions?

Last edited by jayp; 10-10-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 PM

my suggestion is Aquarian. they're simply better.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
Ive had the same issue hoovering over me about witch heads to buy for my Sonor Force 2005
I've really had my mind set on Evans G2(or G1) but my Teacher uses remo ambassadors and emperors and I love the sound he gets from his Camco(ambassadors) and vintage Ludwig(with emperors) with all the quality control I've heard about the coated REMO heads has got me thinking Evans but I'm just not sure. Any updates on the remo quality control issues? Suggestions?
At the moment, I am using clear Emperors on top and clear Ambassadors on bottom-no problems from them. I have used Remo for years as well as Evans-both make great products. Once in a while you will get a bad apple in the bunch with both brands but I've never had a problem with exchanging at the store. Visit their websites and it will tell you the info on each head and it will help you decide on the sound you want.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con View Post
I really need some new heads and im really stuck between remo and evans??? its either ambassador or EC2 but which one....help!

Cheerz
Apples and oranges right there...

I like EC2s, which I'm currently using on my main kit...but I doubt I'll ever buy them again. They sound better than most "muffling" heads in that you can keep most of the tone of the drums...but I don't like the fact that it dramatically reduces the volume of the drums.

I would highly suggest playing EC2s before sinking the money into them.

For your toms I would suggest Clear Emperors if you play mostly rock music...with clear Ambassadors under them.

For a snare, nothing beats a coated ambassador, IMO. After using the Genera Dry I bought recently...I just had to go back to a coated ambassador....man that is a sweet, sweet snare head.

Having played a few different types of Evans heads now, I just can't say that I like the sound as much as a Remo.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 PM

For a snare, nothing beats a coated ambassador, IMO. After using the Genera Dry I bought recently...I just had to go back to a coated ambassador....man that is a sweet, sweet snare head.

Zambizzi,you are correct on that one-My favorite too !!!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Pioneer Member

As said before me, for the snare, Coated ambassors are great. For the toms, ambassodors are also amazing. You cant really go wrong with them in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Remo or Evans???

I found Evans heads to be simply more durable and well constructed, however, I prefer the sound and feel of Remo heads. I tried Aquarian and 5/6 heads were terrible. The one that was great was a Modern Vintage but it was $19 for a 14 head which is ridiculous if you intend on buying sets of them. If you get a good Remo, you will love it, or you could go Evans and be partially satisfied but at least have a consistent product.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
FWIW, an ambassador & an EC2 are two completely different head designs. They will give you completely different sounds.

If you are trying to compare like heads, compare ambassador to G1, emperor to G2, pinstripes to EC2.
I agree, two different head configurations. I've used both Evans and Remo, and have never had any issues with either. I've been using Evans more lately cause I looking into becoming a Kaman dealer, (they own Evans,) and I can get them a little cheaper too.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

i really dont care if i use Evans or Remo .. i love the ambassodor on snare or the genera .and emperor or G2 on toms.. i think they both make great heads and just use what i fancy, i think you would be hard pushed to hear the sound difference between matching heads like emperor clear against a g2 clear..IMO ...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Rickk

I switched from Evans to Aquarian and it was the best move, not only do they tune up easier but sound much better and last longer, each has his own preference but I spent so much time and money constantly changing heads, until now. I just switched out all my new Evans Genera Resonant heads and put Aquarian Clear Classics, just when I thought my drums were the best they could be, man what a difference.
I have Coated Aquarian Studio -X on the Tops and Clear Classics on the bottom.
My Snare (Black Beauty) has an Aquarian Texture Coated on Top and Clear Snare on the Bottom WOW!!
The set is a DW collectors Series Maple.

After all that said I guess my point is if you haven't tried Aquarian it's worth it.

Hope this helps anyone trying to get a good sound.
Also I have a great tunning tip from Roy Burns if anyone ever needs it PM and I will be happy to help.

Rick
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 AM

depends on what drum ur talking about but im truly a fan of both.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

i've used both evans and remo, and have changed to evans as my number one head choice. Mind you, I have a superkick on my kick, but that's because aquarian owns in the kick section :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 11-04-2007, 01:47 AM

I have an 1986 Pearl Export and using Remo Ebony pinstripes on the toms, clear pinstripe on bass and Ambassador coated/clear reso on my wood Ludwig snare. I also have clear pinstripe batter/ ambassador reso on my Pearl steel snare. As much as I loved them I never got the sound I really wanted so this is my new setup:

12, 13, 16 - Evans Ebony Hydraulic batter, (soond to have Ebony single ply resos)
22" bass - Evans Ebony Hydraulic batter ane EQ2 reso
14" wood Ludwig snare - Evans Hydraulic Coated batter and Evans clear Hazy reso.

With this setup I do not have to use any further baffles or muffles to get the sound I want. To help further I also got the Evans tourque key and replaced the "t" handle lugs with standard lugs for more accurate tuning.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickk View Post
I switched from Evans to Aquarian and it was the best move, not only do they tune up easier but sound much better and last longer, each has his own preference but I spent so much time and money constantly changing heads, until now. I just switched out all my new Evans Genera Resonant heads and put Aquarian Clear Classics, just when I thought my drums were the best they could be, man what a difference.
I have Coated Aquarian Studio -X on the Tops and Clear Classics on the bottom.
My Snare (Black Beauty) has an Aquarian Texture Coated on Top and Clear Snare on the Bottom WOW!!
The set is a DW collectors Series Maple.

After all that said I guess my point is if you haven't tried Aquarian it's worth it.

Hope this helps anyone trying to get a good sound.
Also I have a great tunning tip from Roy Burns if anyone ever needs it PM and I will be happy to help.

Rick
Couldn't say it better !

You & me understand each other so well !!! LOL

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 AM

I used evans (G2 coated or G1 Coated batter/ G1 clear reso) heads for the longest time up until 3 years ago. Just to be weird I ordered a set of Remo suede emperors (batter) and clear ambassadors (reso). I have never had a fuller drum sound. So I have to say Remo.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Sound or brand loyalty?

The coated ambassador on the snare is THE most recorded snare sound of all time.

For me, it is Remo because it is the sound I am looking for, not to be trendy or to hate a brand or to be different.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Pioneer Member

When I got back into drumming two years ago I went with Aquarian. I tried the Performance IIs, Response IIs Two different versions of the Studio Xs, Super IIs, Classic clears, Focus X, High Energy and Super Kicks. The single ply heads wore quickly, but sounded good. The two ply heads worked out well, and I liked the Super IIs a lot.

I switched to Evans and really liked the ECI and EC2 heads. Also the EMADs, Reverse Power Dots, Genera Drys, Super Toughs, and G1s.

I put an Ambassador on a 5 X 14 brass drum a couple of months ago and it sounded great. So Remo will be next up. Probably Emps over Ambassadors. I played Remos back in the day, but thought I'd try some of the others this time around.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Like Jking said, the 2 choices are apples and oranges. Completely different sounds.

EC2s are very controlled overtones and ambassadors are a very open sound.

I suggest you hear the two before deciding
Old 12-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Mystic

For your open sound go Powerstroke3 over Powerstroke3
Muffled sound go Powerstroke4 over Powerstroke3...... Simply cant go wrong
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

I just made the switch on both my main snares. Went to Evans and wont go back.

I have played on my genera dry and g2 coated and what a difference.

The coating is heads and tails above Remos.

Over 6 hours of playing on my new Evans head and no peeling of the coating. My Remo heads lose coating in 3 to 4 hours.

The sound is very similar (g2 to emps), but the quality difference is night and day.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

This question has been asked a million times and I'm sure it will never end for us drummers. For me after drumming for over 32yrs I have hit & played them all many times. And I always end up back home with the Remo's. The clear ambassadors are the king of the toms for me. The coated ambassador is the one for the snare. And the powerstroke 3 or 4 is the boom on my 26" kick. The Remo's stay in tune longer and last much longer. Yes the coating wears off the first time you take them out of the box but if you notice the master drummers that use them, they let them age and let the coating wear off. This is because they sound better with age and use. Evans makes a nice line of heads. They have that new modern sound and feel. So this question will never be answered due in part because its based on opinions of many. Lets just be thankfully we have choice. Because with out competition there would not be very much quality out there.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Mystic

I think they both sound pretty nice but Remo is my choice