DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Scott Phillips

Scott Phillips has really stepped up his game. The new Alter Bridge album "Blackbird" showcases some awesome playing on his part. I feel this guy has really improved since the Creed days almost to the point where you would never know it was the same guy. When I saw them live on the previous album he ripped it up. Thoughts?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Scott Phillips

Another one of my favorite drummers who seems to get very little notice here. Saw him twice with Alter Bridge in small venues, in Providence and in Boston recently where I had a chance to meet he and the band. Very nice guys, low key and obviously working hard to regain the status they had with Creed in their new and completely different sounding band--which I like much better.

Take a look at a little bit of some of his work transcribed for Modern Drummer--very nice:

http://www.fliponline.net/graphics/tab1.jpg
Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 PM
michael drums

Yea guys and gals...

I took a listen to their new disc "Blackbird", (samples on their website) and it's awesome!! Can't wait to see them up in Baltimore in a month!! Definitely gotta check out Scott Phillips! I've been a fan of his since his Creed days, and REALLY like Alter Bridge.

Goin' out right now to pick up their new one...

Play On! ;-)
Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I'm like most, I didn't care for Creed after thier first album.. in fact I still own "My Own Prison", and when I first heard Alter Bridge I didn't think much of it either. Reading this thread has peaked my interest in the band. I always knew that Scott is a tight drummer and since I haven't heard anything from him lately he just got lost in the web of the industry to me. I will go check out A.B.'s webpage and check out thier songs.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

He's a solid drummer for sure.. and if you listen closely enough, a lot of the songs (for both Creed and Alterbridge) have some little "signature" licks of his throughout them.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
michael drums

Yes!

I just picked up "Blackbird" yesterday(for less than 10 bucks) and it's excellent! I highly recommend it ALREADY! My favs on it are "Ties That Bind", "Come To Life", "Coming Home", "Rise Today", and "White Knuckles".

Heck... the whole album is my favorite! ;-)

And Scott Phillips has really matured as a drummer! WOW, he kicks some serious butt on this disc!

Check it out...

Peace.

Oh, btw...it also comes with a dvd about the making of Blackbird. It's pretty cool! :-)
Old 11-10-2007, 03:46 PM

scott phillips is definitely one of my favorite drummers, he so incredibly fresh behind the drumset, his beats and fills are so tasty and rich and fits ab's music perfectly.

ive been jamming to blackbird since the day it came out and i absolutely LOVE it. it puzzles me why these guys dont get more recognition. their sound and music writing is just to die for.

ive been a fan since my own prison but it wasnt really until after ab's first album came out that i realised that scott was becoming a world class drummer and shootme he just keeps getting better and better and his performance on blackbird is ***** out of *****

ps. i keep checking out drummerworlds front page to see if scotts name is there already but i keep getting disappointed. please upload some videos of him and a biography. he definitely deserves it.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump View Post
scott phillips is definitely one of my favorite drummers, he so incredibly fresh behind the drumset, his beats and fills are so tasty and rich and fits ab's music perfectly.

ive been jamming to blackbird since the day it came out and i absolutely LOVE it. it puzzles me why these guys dont get more recognition. their sound and music writing is just to die for.

ive been a fan since my own prison but it wasnt really until after ab's first album came out that i realised that scott was becoming a world class drummer and shootme he just keeps getting better and better and his performance on blackbird is ***** out of *****

ps. i keep checking out drummerworlds front page to see if scotts name is there already but i keep getting disappointed. please upload some videos of him and a biography. he definitely deserves it.

Couldn't agree more, chump! ;-)

Scott Phillips is a "champ" of a drummer!

And you are a champ chump, for posting my exact sentiments about SP...

Play On! :-)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Couldn't agree more, chump! ;-)

Scott Phillips is a "champ" of a drummer!

And you are a champ chump, for posting my exact sentiments about SP...

Play On! :-)
im glad we agree :)

Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Its a real shame that Scott isn't talked about much on here because as mentioned before he is a really tight drummer with tonnes of skill. I recently saw Alter Bridge at a festival here in the U.K and was blown away not only my the Scott but the whole band! Not only is Scott a great drummer but just look at Mark Tremonti on guitar and Miles Kennedy has an amazing voice!

If anyone reading this has not checked out Alter Bridge or the earlier Creed stuff then it is definitely work looking into, in my opinion x

- Kit! -
Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM

I glad to see that someone put a thread on here for Scott Phillips. He was one of the main drummers I learned from when I was starting. I remember playing along with pretty much all the Creed songs (even the B-sides), and trying to transcribe some of his stuff. I agree with the other posters here - his playing with Alter Bridge has definitely gotten a lot better (even though I think it was already really good). The same goes for Mark Tremonti, in case you guys haven't noticed. Both of these guys - wow. I don't know what they did between Creed and Alter Bridge, but I think that as musicians they are easily a step ahead of the rest of the pack in the alt./rock world. I, too, have been waiting to see a Drummerworld page for Scott Phillips.

One more thing, I got to see Alter Bridge in concert close to where I live, and they play tight and with plenty of energy, especially Phillips. I've got to give credit to their singer, Myles Kennedy, too, for actually being a really good singer. I see well-known acts on TV all the time in which the singers can't sing in tune or really sound like they're struggling, and it kind of ruins it for me to realize they don't really sound like they do on the radio. However, I think Kennedy is the real deal as far as singers go.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM

I really enjoy Scott Phillips playing. Creed is back now doing a reunion tour, but I'm actually hoping there will be another Alter Bridge album. I think with Alter Bridge the entire band really got to show off their playing ability.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 AM

Scott Phillips is one of my favourite drummers. He's got an excellent technique and some great drumming ability to match. I've seen Alter Bridge live twice, he's solid and tight but has feel as well. Way underated.