DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Mesh heads

Okay. I might be reposting, but here goes.

After a hundred complains, my landlord finally said 'no drumming at all times'. I played with brushes only, but know I know it doesn't work.
Got used to it, not so mad. Who knows what's next if I play(kick out, fine?)

Anyways, I'm considering mesh heads and cymbal silencers.

Anyone uses mesh heads for practice? How loud are they(a moderate strike of brushes, something like that)? Do they resonate?
Cymbal pads: I'm looking at Promark X mutes. Obviously no attack to the cymbals, right? How do the hats silencers sound like? Anyone used the Promark ones before?

Any other advices?
I don't wish to spend more than $200 on silencing my kit.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mesh heads

Get a v drum for practice, even the cheapest roland set.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
Get a v drum for practice, even the cheapest roland set.
I want to know about mesh heads, and I don't want to buy a new electronic set, unless they cost less than $200.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Mesh heads will definitely kill the sound. You should also be able to find a local factory that cuts and sells industrial gaskets and they may have some scraps of thin rubber and neoprene you can use for cymbal mufflers. Same stuff as the purpose-made cymbal silences, just a lot cheaper. That's how I got a set of pads to place between cymbals in transit.

You should cut a thin ring of drum head to place between the mesh head and your bearing edge. Mesh heads are slightly abrasive and they will wear on your bearing edge so it's good to have some protection in there.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

my first kit was a pearl rhythm traveler, whith mesh heads.

They work wonderfully, but DMC is right about the bearing edges though...

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 AM

So they should be super silent? My neighbours even complain when I use brushes(which I find decently silent). I find pad silencers useless, they're still loud even when they are on.

Quote:
You should cut a thin ring of drum head to place between the mesh head and your bearing edge. Mesh heads are slightly abrasive and they will wear on your bearing edge so it's good to have some protection in there.
So I should stick something on the part of the mesh head where the bearing edge will come contact with?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
So they should be super silent? My neighbours even complain when I use brushes(which I find decently silent). I find pad silencers useless, they're still loud even when they are on.
If brushes are even too loud, mesh won't help. Maybe you can find a different room you could isolate for less than 200$. It doesn't need to be 100% sealed, just away from your neighbours.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If brushes are even too loud, mesh won't help
I was playing Led-Zeppelin-like stuff with nylon brushes, so it's pretty loud for brush playing(I'm assuming). What if I play mesh heads with blasticks? Brushes?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM

I use mesh heads. And I live in an apartment. And they are super silent! No complaints yet. I use regular sticks. Actually, when I look at them now, they are called trigger heads, the company is TDrum, and the website is www.triggerhead.com. I have those on all toms, snare drum and bass drum. They are also very responsive, actually more responsive then normal heads. For cymbals I also bought silencers, but don't do that, it's a waste of money. Just get some rubber, find on the internet what they look like, and make them yourself. Will work for sure!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do The Evolution View Post
I use mesh heads. And I live in an apartment. And they are super silent! No complaints yet. I use regular sticks. Actually, when I look at them now, they are called trigger heads, the company is TDrum, and the website is www.triggerhead.com. I have those on all toms, snare drum and bass drum. They are also very responsive, actually more responsive then normal heads. For cymbals I also bought silencers, but don't do that, it's a waste of money. Just get some rubber, find on the internet what they look like, and make them yourself. Will work for sure!
About mesh heads wearing out on bearing edges, have they happened to yours?
Have you used other mesh heads?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFF View Post

So I should stick something on the part of the mesh head where the bearing edge will come contact with?

for me, its perfectly legal for me to bang on my drums from 10 AM to 8 PM.. so you might want to contact your local autorities and see if your neighbors canr eally do anything about it...
Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
for me, its perfectly legal for me to bang on my drums from 10 AM to 8 PM.. so you might want to contact your local autorities and see if your neighbors canr eally do anything about it...
No, not at the area where I live. And it's too late to ask them about it, since they've sent me a letter to tell me "not to play drums at all times".
Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Silver Member

i had mesh heads on my old set. Soundwise they still carry the tone of the drums, and dont sound like practice. But VERY quiet. you might watn to save up for an e-kit or move out..
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
i had mesh heads on my old set. Soundwise they still carry the tone of the drums, and dont sound like practice. But VERY quiet. you might watn to save up for an e-kit or move out..
They don't sound like practice kits because they carry the tone of the drums, but they are quiet. So how do they sound like if they don't sound like practicing at all? Does that mean they are loud?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFF View Post
They don't sound like practice kits because they carry the tone of the drums, but they are quiet. So how do they sound like if they don't sound like practicing at all? Does that mean they are loud?
I have some mesh heads. They are quieter than the quietest practice pad I have ever used.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM

my experience is fairly limited on these things, but heres what i have to say:
go to your local drum shop. if they have a show room of sorts, you might see a rhythm traveller or something similar with mesh heads already on. thats how i found out about them.
if it helps, you could possible pick up one of those cheap arbiter flat kits used somewhere and put mesh heads on that. they have no shell, so no annoying tone you would think. (this is speculation.)
Old 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Mystic

Is your drumset in the basement well if you have one and if so do u have insulation in the walls? Thats where my set is placed and it is pretty silent I meen even in the house upstairs it is still noticeable but not disturbingly loud so neighbors probably only notice small thumps but then again my neighbors don't care that I play which is great.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Well, they make practice pad sets, but I'm not sure of the cost. I would look into buying one of those. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Kit?sku=490186
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=442963
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...fit?sku=446233

This way you wouldn't have to worry about any modifications or damages to your real kit, and it won't make anybody angry... :)