DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-25-2007, 03:50 AM

Default remo tom heads

i've been looking to switch my evans (tom) heads to remos and i need something pretty durable and dampening. any suggestions on clear or coated heads or hydraulic?

if it's any help i've been using coated Evans G2's.

nothing too dampening though, i don't want the snare to over-power the toms.

thaannnkkksss
Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: remo tom heads

If you like the G2 sound the remo equivelant is the Emperor. For more damping look into the pinstripe or powerstroke series
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yep, Remo`s standard double ply head would be an Emperor. I really the sound Remo heads produce, especially their coated Ambassadors. Though many people complained about Remo`s quality (control) because their Emperors aren`t well made so that there are tuning issues.

Anyway Remo`s sound and feel is unique. Maybe try a coated Ambassador. Will have a more open sound...with plenty of warmth.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

I agree with drummer karl. remo ambassodor coated are great heads tuned properly, nice attack and resonance
Old 11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Anyway Remo`s sound and feel is unique. Maybe try a coated Ambassador. Will have a more open sound...with plenty of warmth.
...and it can be tuned to a mean, low and fat rumble.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
...and it can be tuned to a mean, low and fat rumble.
Yes, I totally agree. You actually don`t need to dampen them....at least not much. Definitly very very versatile heads.
For example Simon Phillips usually uses clear Ambassadors on his toms (as far as I know)...fat, tonal quality. Or Dave Weckl`s tom sound...

PS: Wavelength, don`t you also use coated Ambassadors on your toms and snare?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 AM

I use either clear emperors or coated ambassadors on the batter side (depending on the sound I want) and clear ambassadors on the bottom. I use the clear emperors when I want a deeper sound but my favorite would be the coated ambassadors. Such a classic look as well.Great heads !
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Wavelength, don`t you also use coated Ambassadors on your toms and snare?
Yep, plus clear Diplomats as tom resonants, and a clear Ambassador snareside as the snare's resonant. When I got my Kumus I experimented with Emperors, but didn't like the sound at all. The drums were too muddy and their tuning range left a lot to be desired. I have had better experiences with other drum kits and other Emperors, though, so I might have come across bad heads.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

A diplomat coated head blows the ambassador out of the water, the only downside is that it is not as "durable."
Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Pioneer Member

I have Fiberskyns myself over clear ambassadors and these brought out a nice warm tone from my kit. However, Fiberskyns don't have much in the way of clarity and if you play too fast to softly it just sounds like a roll no matter what. I figured I would go to just Coated Ambassadors which I'm sure will work, but now I'm hearing that diplomats have a nice sound. Somehow, I'm just not sure how a thinner head would sound warmer.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

You get a lot more tone out of a Diplomat then you will with an ambassador. The ambassador is thicker which causes it to lose alot of high frequencies and resonance.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

take a look at Attack heads, either in standard coated or clear single ply or with the "tone ridge" that are just a little bit drier.

if you are looking at a two ply head take a look at Attack "Thin Skins". they are one ply medium and one ply thin, so not quite as heavy and/or as dry as a pinstripe.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
A diplomat coated head blows the ambassador out of the water, the only downside is that it is not as "durable."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
You get a lot more tone out of a Diplomat then you will with an ambassador. The ambassador is thicker which causes it to lose alot of high frequencies and resonance.
Well, the choice comes down to the sound you want. In my opinion, they both sound incredible but the Ambassador is more versatile and works better when you want a low tuning.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:41 PM

how do coated Control Sound, and coated PowerStroke3 compare with coated ambassadors? I too am looking to replace double ply coated tom batters, coated emperors. I want a more resonant sound, but i cannot decide if its the CS or PS3 i need.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtak View Post
how do coated Control Sound, and coated PowerStroke3 compare with coated ambassadors? I too am looking to replace double ply coated tom batters, coated emperors. I want a more resonant sound, but i cannot decide if its the CS or PS3 i need.
Emperors are more resonant than Powerstrokes or CS-heads.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
PS and CS have less resonance, if you want more resonance than an emperor you probably don't want to go the way of the PS series you'd be better off going with the ambassadors.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM

interesting, i had no idea CS and PS3's are more muffled than emp's

i just assumed that more mylar = less resonance.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i just assumed that more mylar = less resonance.
It's not just about the amount of material, but more about the way the material is formed. For example, a 2000g brick of bronze isn't going to sound the same as a 2000g ride cymbal.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
It's not just about the amount of material, but more about the way the material is formed. For example, a 2000g brick of bronze isn't going to sound the same as a 2000g ride cymbal.
Thank you for the elucidating example.

Could you go into detail in the different ways the mylar is formed that produces more/less resonance? I've checked Remo, read DW for months, you got anything?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 AM

What about Remo's Vintage A tom heads for his purposes?
Those are a bit more open than the emporers, right?
Has anyone tried those yet?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemplativedrummer View Post
What about Remo's Vintage A tom heads for his purposes?
Those are a bit more open than the emporers, right?
Has anyone tried those yet?
Unfortunately, Remo's only making that head in a 14". But it does seem like that would be the direction to go in this case. I actually haven't tried this head, though. Sounds interesting, a 7.5-mil and a 3-mil. "Emperor Light", I guess.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Could you go into detail in the different ways the mylar is formed that produces more/less resonance?
A regular mylar head vibrates and has a certain sound to it, even un-tightened. CS heads have a round patch adhered to the center of the head. This patch acts as a weight, and this weight will make the head slower and heavier, giving it a more muffled tone when struck in the center. The PS3 has a ring of mylar on the outside edge of the head. You could compare this dampening ring it to a kick drum reso with a very big air hole; it doesn't vibrate all that much and won't have a sound of its own. Again, since this circle of mylar doesn't vibrate, it will work against the head's vibrations, making it a bit slower and giving it a more muffled tone.

Now, regular two-ply heads have both plies tightened to the same degree. While the additional thickness and weight makes the head slower and a bit less responsive, both films are working in concert and not against each other. Therefore, even though there is more material present, it is formed in a fashion that maximizes vibration and responsiveness.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Now, regular two-ply heads have both plies tightened to the same degree. While the additional thickness and weight makes the head slower and a bit less responsive, both films are working in concert and not against each other. Therefore, even though there is more material present, it is formed in a fashion that maximizes vibration and responsiveness.
AHA! this makes sense. I wondered why less mylar would have more dampening but the bit about tension makes sense. Thanks.

I've got more questions about remo tom heads

you mention response of the head, and how thickness and weight altered that. How do different remo heads compare in response, and what characteristics contribute to that feel?

I've currently am using the coated emperor/coated ambassador combo.
Anyone ever use coated ambassador/coated diplomat? I have clear diplomat resos but didnt care for the brighter timbre, the coated ambassadors on the bottom are working out much better. I'm curious to hear what people have to say about coated diplomats.

I'd love to be able to go out and buy different heads and try them all out, but that is not an option for me.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Bat Guano View Post
Unfortunately, Remo's only making that head in a 14". But it does seem like that would be the direction to go in this case. I actually haven't tried this head, though. Sounds interesting, a 7.5-mil and a 3-mil. "Emperor Light", I guess.

Oh, I could've sworn I saw an adin the last Modern Drummer advertising tom head verions of the Vintages and Black Suade Emporers. Maybe it was just yet another ad for the snare head, I suppose.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 AM

Yeah, I saw an add in "Drum!" for 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch sizes in the vintage A series. I think they just came out and might not be in the stores yet, but seemed like an interesting head.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C. View Post
Yeah, I saw an add in "Drum!" for 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch sizes in the vintage A series. I think they just came out and might not be in the stores yet, but seemed like an interesting head.
That's really good news! Remo needs to update their website.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusfetusis6 View Post
i've been looking to switch my evans (tom) heads to remos and i need something pretty durable and dampening. any suggestions on clear or coated heads or hydraulic?

if it's any help i've been using coated Evans G2's.

nothing too dampening though, i don't want the snare to over-power the toms.

thaannnkkksss
Im just saying now, stay away from Hydraulics. I bought them a little while ago (im in need of new heads, just havent bought new ones yet) and at first i liked them alot (but then again, it was a transitions from stock heads to hydraulics). But after a few weeks i realized how dead the toms sound with them. You are better off with Emperor's and Ambassadors.