Joey Castillo

i dodnt belive he is related to him.i have seen the queens recently and his drums are amazing the kick he has could kill sosmething and his 24inch k ride is amazing im goin to have to get one of those

Yeah I really like Joey. He does play songs fast live but judging Josh's attitude to music and his band im sure if he wanted him to play slower he would make it very clear to him.

I was shocked about his change to Zildjian. They sound nice the crashes aren't as good as his Paiste!

Yeah people always mention that he plays too fast live but that's what makes Joey different. Anyways, Paiste cymbals are amazing even though I'm a Sabian fan. I was shocked too when he moved over to the Zildjian camp.

I like Joey. I think he is a real good rock drummer. I have only seen him play live once, and of course that was with Queens, but his playing was real intense. He really plays his heart out and bashes the ***** out of the drums. He is real good and solid. And a good drummer to watch live, you can see how much he loves to play just by looking at him.

I've gotta say, I'm really digging Joey's playing these days. The more I listen, the more i like.
I'm really sick of the "dave is better" bs, people are entitled to opinions but this borderline idolatry is tiresome and seems narrow minded. Dave is different. Great , sure, but if Joey's good enough for Josh and all then he is most definitely good enough for me.

Really good sense of groove about him and one of the main reasons he was hired in the first place, Josh Homme is quoted as saying, was his interaction between bass and snare. Perfect example is the jam they go into here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWVIaslEOs
Mezmerizing stuff.

Another new addiction of mine is the brilliantly simple yet undeniably cool "sick, sick, sick" from the new album. Have yet to hear the album as a whole but if it continues in the same vein then i think Joey has made a name for himself.

Hello fellow drummers.
New to this forum, but not new at all to drumming.
I was actually doing a search on Queens/Joey, and stumbled upon a link to this thread.
I know this thread is old, but wanted to contribute some info on Joey's drums.
Many are still not aware that RCI (Romano Cotone International) is making most of the new acrylics available recently. Romano began manufacturing acrylic drums for the new Vistalites, and now has contracts to manufacture shells for numerous drum companies.
DW, Premier, GMS, Chop Shop, OCDP- to name just a few.
I saw Supernova earlier this year and loved Tommy's acrylics. I immediately researched, and found out that his DW shells are made by RCI. I then found out that RCI will make custom ordered drums complete. I found a dealer, Acrylic Drums Heaven, that worked with me on my order and I now have a custom RCI Starlite Red acrylic kit.
Here's a link to my testimonial and pics on the ADH website.
http://www.acrylicdrumsheaven.com/testimonials.html
These drums are incredible.

Yeah, I dig Joey with Queens. I think he's a pretty cool drummer. His kits have looked cool too.
One of my friends met him briefly and said he was a prety cool cat.

The stuff Dave came up with on SFTD was really cool and well thought out, but sounded really spur of the moment for how they record.

On the live DVD with Troy and Alan more involved, and Nick gone, Joey seemed to 'fit' the band well, like Matt Sorum 'fit' better when Guns added the back-up singers and Teddy Andreas (sp?).

I really dig watching that live DVD, and the extra "in the studio" DVD's that came with the last few albums too.

I get what you mean about No one Knows being faster, but that could have been just that night too...
You know how it is, you come off a good set, and come back on and you're loose and feeling good..and it's just a little faster.

Hey, that's rock....

I get what you mean about No one Knows being faster, but that could have been just that night too...
You know how it is, you come off a good set, and come back on and you're loose and feeling good..and it's just a little faster.

Hey, that's rock....

I really think it's a serial trait of his though. Saw them Wednesday night and he was faster on every single song, even ones off the new album that he wrote. They tore through Run Pig Run so fast. I'm definitely not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not just a fluke/one song thing.

They played Songs for the Dead, one of my favorites, and the beginning was so rushed it lost a lot of the swing that Grohl gave it.

for comparison:
with Grohl, 2002 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7tCTQkOSi8

Castillo, 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7k4EI6wL_k

I really think it's a serial trait of his though. Saw them Wednesday night and he was faster on every single song, even ones off the new album that he wrote. They tore through Run Pig Run so fast. I'm definitely not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not just a fluke/one song thing.

They played Songs for the Dead, one of my favorites, and the beginning was so rushed it lost a lot of the swing that Grohl gave it.

If it's been like that for a while, then one would guess the band (Josh) thinks it's OK, or they like it that way...or.....maybe he should play along to his own cds a couple of times....???...:p

Yeah, something is definetly lost if a song that needs to feel a certain way is rushed.
That's a bummer at a show and you can't get in the groove of your favorite tunes.
The one thing I miss, is Joey not doing the fast snare to tom fill in No one Knows on the DVD. That fill is real cool, and fits well in there. I know there's a few others, but THAT one is definetly cool.

I've had to stay really concious of not speeding up some of the songs in one of my bands.
A few of them need to be just right, & once I was aware of what I was doing in spots, and got ahold of what the sections should 'feel' like it's been all good.

I havent seen Queens live yet, even though I dig em' and they've been through Detroit a few times.
I seem to spend all my money on drums.....

[

(especially listen to: I realise your mine... (you see how josh has to concentrate to sing faster here...))[/QUOTE]

the cords in the chorus are more difficult thats wy he's concentrating

saw queens live last night in a relatively small venue and they just killed it, that simple,
Castillo was on the money the whole set, really inspired me if I'm honest, although 'song for the dead' was faster than the album version it was fully rocking and the triplets at the end were pretty mind bending.
Joeys clear DW set looked quite desirable to say the least.

saw queens live last night in a relatively small venue and they just killed it, that simple,
Castillo was on the money the whole set, really inspired me if I'm honest, although 'song for the dead' was faster than the album version it was fully rocking and the triplets at the end were pretty mind bending.
Joeys clear DW set looked quite desirable to say the least.

I was there too, and I completely agree.

i love his playing. The Blood is Love off of Lullabies is my favourite - how they start in 3/4 then switch to 4/4 and his drumming in it is so good. Dave is REALLY cool but i reckon Joey fits in with the band better. Turning on the Screw is fantastic, you know... i like the fact that he keeps the beat with the tamborine and it really changes up the sound. He does play rather fast, but whatever, as said - if josh had a problem with it joey would be gone. Plus when you're a little intoxicated and playing it makes everything different (does for me..)

Joey Castillo Rules!!

Joey castillo rules, Bin a fan since he was in Wasted youth. Him, Bonham, moon are the best drummers around. His DW Set up is sweet!! Planning on seeing QOTSA with E.O.D.M supporting their tour this year. Gunna b awesume!!

I have seen him three times once with Queens and twice with EODM.The last eodm gig i saw was last night and me and my friend got there early and met the whole band and i was talking to joey for a while hes so cool and nows alot about drums.I got a stick at the end.Was quite the epic day

Got a pic with him and some friends at the end of the gig.Im the guy with jesus on my shirt.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=584492&id=1496047942&ref=nf

Last edited:
Back