DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Ebony pinstripes

I am looking into new heads for my toms, I liked the way the ebony pinstripes sound so any other heads for snare and bass for a dark sound and that will blend with the pinstripes on toms?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Ebony pinstripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_drummer_16 View Post
I am looking into new heads for my toms, I liked the way the ebony pinstripes sound so any other heads for snare and bass for a dark sound and that will blend with the pinstripes on toms?

A good combo, Ebony pinstripes as the reso and normal clear/coated pinstripe as the batter.

But, for the snare, maybe a Evens G1 Genera, and bass, a powerstroke, super kick 2, or pinstripe
Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

aquarian high energy or a remo emporer x
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
A good combo, Ebony pinstripes as the reso and normal clear/coated pinstripe as the batter.

But, for the snare, maybe a Evens G1 Genera, and bass, a powerstroke, super kick 2, or pinstripe

He'd be better served using the ebony pins on the batter and on the reso going with the single ply ebony ambassador for the reso. The pinstripe for the reso will totally suck the sound out of the drum. The black coating is supposed to be primarily for looks but I noticed a difference in tone between a clear ambassador and the ebony. The ebony seemed a little darker to me.

For your bass a Superkick or Emad from Evans would probably sound good also the Powerstroke from Remo. As far as the SK and emad I prefer the single ply version better as it's not as muffled and projects better.

For the snare you can't beat a single ply coated head. However if you want more of a drier sound go with the eveans sd or hd dry head or maybe a powerstroke.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Well, I've decided on the toms; I am going to use Ebony pinstripes as the batter, and ebony ambassadors for the resonants. For the bass I'm going to keep the stock head for the resonant (ebony ambassador with Yamaha logo on it, no hole), and I'm going to use a Powersonic as the batter I just love its dark sound. but for the snare, I'm going to use a coated Powerstroke 3, just one thing should i get a top clear dot or no dot at all? In addition for the snare side it's either a diplomat hazy, or an ambassador hazy (emperor just kills the resonance for me, and the snare sensitivity).

So, what are your thought on my choices?

P.S. Thanks konaboy you read my mind. double ply reso kills sound.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Pioneer Member

The dot will give you a little more damping thought the PS3 has plenty in my opinion, I'd go coated for the snare batter I just like the sound of coated heads on snares more. Dot or no dot is really a toss up. If you're a heavy hitter I'd probably go ambassador hazy for durability. If you want more sensitivity go with the diplomat
Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM

So I've decided on the snare, Coated Powerstroke 3 on batter (no dot), and a hazy Ambassador on the snare side.