DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-29-2007, 02:33 AM
fourstringdrums

Default New Bosphorus New Orleans Ride

..yes, another Bosphorus :)

This one is a 20" New Orleans Ride, 2097g.

Here's an MP3: http://www.handidrummed.com/neworleans.mp3 I took, I think it was Wavelength's, advice and put my Zoom H4 behind me about 2 feet and above me and I think it works better. I'm also using my Gretsch 6.5x14 Hammered Chrome this time.

I sold my Antique Splash & Med-Thin Crash to get the $$ for it. I wasn't using the splash much in my playing and I really do prefer thinner rides to crashes any day. So now I'm playing a 3 ride setup.

19" Antique Thin
21" Turk Med-Thin
20" New Orleans

All 3 rides blend perfectly with each other, but still have their own unique character.

The 19" Antique is a brighter ride with a clear bell and thinner stick definition with nice spread. It crashes so well that I usually forget it's a ride and not a crash.

The 21" Turk is of course a darker, lower pitched ride with fairly articulate stick definition and a strong bell. It crashes well for accents and stronger, more powerful crashes. It can sound huge when you want it to.

The 20" New Orleans is I think a cross between the two. It has a darker, warmer, more smokey sound than the Antique, but is more subdued than the Turk. The bell, like the other two rides, is nice and clear and stands out well from the initial stick definition and wash when going back and forth from the surface to the bell. As a crash it has a very nice open crash sound like the Antique that has a shorter sustain than the two and is drier. This is a ride that I could use as the only cymbal (besides my hi-hat) in a 3 piece setup. While the Antique sometimes sounds too thin to only use in a 3 piece setup, and the Turk doesn't work well as a crash all the time because of its strong nature, the New Orleans has a great stand-alone ride OR crash sound. It's truly wonderful.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Bosphorus New Orleans Ride

*growl, drool, snarl, drool,* makes other jealous noises

the ride sounds great. so does the groove ( that little fill in the end was hot )

Your zoom position re adjustment has made a huge difference too, dont you think?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
*growl, drool, snarl, drool,* makes other jealous noises

the ride sounds great. so does the groove ( that little fill in the end was hot )

Your zoom position re adjustment has made a huge difference too, dont you think?
Yeah I think it did but I suppose I'll have to do a test tomorrow and see if I spot any differences :) What differences did you personally hear?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

Very cool, having three rides must be great, and the new orleans sounds great!
Your drums sound really big for their size.

So whats next on your list ? (hahaha)
Old 11-29-2007, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

That sounds awesome. How do you record?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I'm very impressed. That cymbal sounds really beautiful. Also, I can totally understand about the preference for thinner rides. Ever since I got my PAiSTe traditionals ride I realize the great sound you can get out of a thinner ride.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Yeah I think it did but I suppose I'll have to do a test tomorrow and see if I spot any differences :) What differences did you personally hear?
Everything is much sharper with more body. The BD is more of the thud, and the toms and cymbals sound close-miked...
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
That sounds awesome. How do you record?
I record with a Zoom H4. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMH4 I just have it mounted on a camera tripod about 2 feet behind me and set about 6 feet or so in the air. It's angled down a bit to point toward the middle of the bass drum. I'd say maybe a 45 degree angle.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I record with a Zoom H4. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMH4 I just have it mounted on a camera tripod about 2 feet behind me and set about 6 feet or so in the air.
Ok. but how does it record? does it record onto tape, cd, into the computer or something else?
My dad was thinking about recording me playing with my music and mixing the drums in.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:18 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Ok. but how does it record? does it record onto tape, cd, into the computer or something else?
My dad was thinking about recording me playing with my music and mixing the drums in.
It records to an SD Memory Card inside the device digitally in either wav format in a few different bit rates or directly to mp3. You can also use mic modeling, effects, compression and a few other things that are built in. It even has a 4 track recorder built in that lets you record directly to a computer if you want. After you record you just hook up the supplied USB cable and copy and paste the files you made. It's really easy.

When I record myself playing with music I just record the drums on the Zoom, and then take that mp3 and mix it with the mp3 of the song that I was playing with.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

sounds pretty interesting . maybe ill look into getting one when i have some spare cash after the new year.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
sounds pretty interesting . maybe ill look into getting one when i have some spare cash after the new year.
Check on Ebay, you can probably get one for half price. I paid $300. I don't use it for anything other than recording myself, in default mode, transferring by copying and pasting (the most basic form of what you can do with this) and it's awesome. It also comes with cubase, but you can't save anything with it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds great man. Also, great sound with the mic placement. I'm definitely going to try it when I have the opportunity.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Beautiful plate, FSD! That weight is on the heavier side for a 20" isn't it? My roommate has a 20" that's around 1800 grams--much more washy with a softer attack. Yours has a great stick sound and a nice dry wash. I like. I want.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDrummer View Post
Beautiful plate, FSD! That weight is on the heavier side for a 20" isn't it? My roommate has a 20" that's around 1800 grams--much more washy with a softer attack. Yours has a great stick sound and a nice dry wash. I like. I want.
It is. Mine was 2 of 3 20" and they are 1853 and 2160. I had a 21" and it was alot more washy and the bell wasn't as clear. I sold it and got the Turk I have now. This 20" is what I wanted that 21" to be. It took a bit of time and more money but I'm glad I have it now.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:10 AM

I really like your whole setup.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
Also, great sound with the mic placement. I'm definitely going to try it when I have the opportunity.
Excellent, the seed I planted is sprouting and the gospel of Behind-and-Over starts to spread like smallpox...

The kit does sound a lot better than your previous recordings, especially the cymbals and the snare. Everything projects better, and stick sounds on the cymbals are very clear. You could get more low-end and volume from the kick by tuning it wide open. The thud of the attack will remain, but the added resonance adds depth and roundness to the sound.

Last edited by Wavelength; 11-30-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
You could get more low-end and volume from the kick by tuning it wide open.
It is wide open actually, with the exception of the pre-muffled bass heads (Evans EQ4/Stock Gretsch with 4" Port). I've been wanting to experiment with heads but like the sound enough to not fiddle with it. Suggestions for an 18"?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

PS 3s for a more open sound than EQ4.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
PS 3s for a more open sound than EQ4.
I like to stay with Evans. How is the PS3 any different anyhow?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Not dramatically different, technically. Think they are both single ply with some built- in tone control. PS 3 might be slightly thinner.

I am an EVANS guy too ( EMAD bass heads ) but I put on a PS3 for some extra boom, when needed. I have'nt played an EQ4. Heard one though , and didnt care much for the sound. PS 3s also seem to be very popular for this controlled openess.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Excellent, the seed I planted is sprouting and the gospel of Behind-and-Over starts to spread like smallpox...
Aha! Ya, it is a great idea. I like it much better than putting a single mic out in front. The only thing is that I'll have to move my drums into my living room to record in order to have enough room to mic behind. That means I'll need some longer cables, and figure out the headphone situation.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM
KARL MEMBER

Where is the Trash crash by the way?
Nice addition...again. =)

Seriously, I like that cymbal choice!

I know it may be some kind of boring to tell you "congrats" again and again....but I`ll do that anyway. Congrats, because every new gear addition is something special!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Really beautiful cymbals. I want to get Bosphoruses when I get the cash. I figure around $1,600 to replace the cymbals on my current set with the closest Bosphorus equivalents and I should be able to get some money for my A Customs.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Really beautiful cymbals. I want to get Bosphoruses when I get the cash. I figure around $1,600 to replace the cymbals on my current set with the closest Bosphorus equivalents and I should be able to get some money for my A Customs.
I promise once you try them you won't look back.

They have the Gold series which is the brilliant version of the Masters series. I think those would be the closest to what you have now. www.cymbalsonly.com
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I promise once you try them you won't look back.

They have the Gold series which is the brilliant version of the Masters series. I think those would be the closest to what you have now. www.cymbalsonly.com
I have liked shiny cymbals, but I like the leopard patterning with the hand-hammered Bosphoruses. They look wild and primitive, like they were just pulled from the fire, and that would fit my set's ethos better. I think those are more visually interesting than shiny cymbals.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I have liked shiny cymbals, but I like the leopard patterning with the hand-hammered Bosphoruses. They look wild and primitive, like they were just pulled from the fire, and that would fit my set's ethos better. I think those are more visually interesting than shiny cymbals.
The Turk series you mean, like my ride? Those are fairly dark, earthy sounding cymbals. They sound wonderful but are a bit of a shock if you're used to bright cymbals.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Turk series you mean, like my ride? Those are fairly dark, earthy sounding cymbals. They sound wonderful but are a bit of a shock if you're used to bright cymbals.
Yes, the Turks. I want a set of them to replace my current line-up, one for each. They will be quite a switch from my A Customs, I'm sure.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Yes, the Turks. I want a set of them to replace my current line-up, one for each. They will be quite a switch from my A Customs, I'm sure.
Well I think you'd really like them, plus they'd look great on your set :) I used a whole set at one point, as does Tony at Cymbals Only. He swears by them.