DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Horizonchaser's Avatar
Horizonchaser Horizonchaser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 32
Default Ear Muffs?

Well a friend of mine got some old ear muffs from his dad to use when drumming. I was recently round at his trying out his shiny new kit and he recommended I wear them.

It was amazing! They really brought out the bass in the toms and bass drum and made them sound great, they also cut down the volume but only enough to make it more comfortable.

Unfortunately there wasnt a brand name on them so I dont know where to get myself a pair, can anyone suggest any models to use?
__________________
Update Me...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Big_Philly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Alpine and Vater have some good earplugs, I use Vater.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,484
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

If you want over the ear style muffs you can pick them up at any sporting goods store or walmart back in the hunting section. Shooters use them all time. Vic Firth also makes a set.
The other thing you can do to add to your protection is pick up some of the sponge style ear plugs and put those in before you put the ear muffs on, it just gives you one extra layer of protection. When I practice with my Sony over the ear headphones on I put a set of the foam plugs in first to protect my hearing from the volume of the music and the drums and it's amazing how much better you can hear.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Horizonchaser's Avatar
Horizonchaser Horizonchaser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 32
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
If you want over the ear style muffs you can pick them up at any sporting goods store or walmart back in the hunting section. Shooters use them all time. Vic Firth also makes a set.
Unfortunately I live in Scotland so there arent many hunting sections in our supermarkets, but the vic firth models sound good I might try and get hold of a pair =]
__________________
Update Me...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Joe P Joe P is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 440
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Also don't go for any electronic earmuffs that can play music. It's alot cheaper just to use earbuds under the regular earmuffs (also I've heard the electronic ones break!)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Tutin's Avatar
Tutin Tutin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edinburgh/Aberfoyle, Scotland
Posts: 767
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Hey mate, you live in Scotland? Me too, whereabouts? Just pop down to drum central in Glasgow or Edinburgh (I live right next to the Edinburgh one, it's awesome) and they should have some. If not you can definitely get a pair off ebay or something.
__________________
Would like more MFB please.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,394
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

I use Peltor brand Ear Muffs. They're light and everythings sound great.
Here's a link to get them online.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...product_id=550

They also have a set that have a built in mic that were reviewed (pretty highly) in MD not too long ago.

Here's the link for those:

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...tronic_Headset

I got the smaller ones (Junior) because I don't have a huge head, but there are larger ones available.

They were under $20 including shipping.
When I called to order them, they were really nice on the phone too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,394
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

I use Peltor brand ear muffs.
They're light, comfortable, everything sounds (really) great, and they keep your ears from ringing from volume damage.

I've tried a bunch of different types over the years, and I like these the best for the sound quality and comfort.

Here's a link to get them online.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...product_id=550

They also have a set that have a built in mic that were reviewed (pretty highly) in MD not too long ago.

Here's the link for those:

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...tronic_Headset

I got the smaller ones (Junior) because I don't have a huge head, but there are larger ones available.

They were under $20 including shipping.
When I called to order them, they were really nice on the phone too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Horizonchaser's Avatar
Horizonchaser Horizonchaser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 32
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
Hey mate, you live in Scotland? Me too, whereabouts? Just pop down to drum central in Glasgow or Edinburgh (I live right next to the Edinburgh one, it's awesome) and they should have some. If not you can definitely get a pair off ebay or something.
I'm up in Aberdeen - small world after all! It shoudnt be too much trouble to head down to drum central and see what they have

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
They also have a set that have a built in mic that were reviewed (pretty highly) in MD not too long ago.

Here's the link for those:

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...tronic_Headset
Thanks for the info, they sound pretty good aswell I'll look into them =]
__________________
Update Me...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Tutin's Avatar
Tutin Tutin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edinburgh/Aberfoyle, Scotland
Posts: 767
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

If you're heading to the Edinburgh store (which I doubt, I think it's further) then I can give you a tour of he place if you want haha.
__________________
Would like more MFB please.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Salicete's Avatar
Salicete Salicete is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Olney, Maryland
Posts: 426
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

I recently switched to Bose noise canceling headphones. They are far superior to anything I have ever used before, and I have tried lots.

They also have a wonderful full sound when used as standard headphones for your MP3 player.

They can be found at a MUCH better price than Bose advertises them for.

See link below.

http://http://www.bose.com/controller?event=view_product_page_event&product=q c2_headphones_index
__________________
“Success is no fun if you don’t have anyone with whom you can share it.”
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
MykeyInChains's Avatar
MykeyInChains MykeyInChains is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 185
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

I have a pair of Vic Firth Isolation Headphones.

They are decent. Good for the price. They almost muffle too much. I find myself pushing them back a little on my head to let more sound in sometimes. They definitely let the low end come through but the highs are so muted. Not bad though. Its better than destroying your hearing. The headphones in them are great for click tracks or playing along with music.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my head and ears start to hurt after a long period of wearing headphones that really press down on my ears. Not comfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,484
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeyInChains View Post
I have a pair of Vic Firth Isolation Headphones.

They are decent. Good for the price. They almost muffle too much. I find myself pushing them back a little on my head to let more sound in sometimes. They definitely let the low end come through but the highs are so muted. Not bad though. Its better than destroying your hearing. The headphones in them are great for click tracks or playing along with music.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my head and ears start to hurt after a long period of wearing headphones that really press down on my ears. Not comfortable.
That's what I love about my Sony's I can wear them all day and they don't bother me. I do wear foam earplugs between the headphones and my ears though just as a layer of protection and it works great.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchaser View Post
Unfortunately I live in Scotland so there arent many hunting sections in our supermarkets, but the vic firth models sound good I might try and get hold of a pair =]
Any hardware store will have a section with safety products and they will have earmuffs. They're the same ones used for shooting and work well.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Any hardware store will have a section with safety products and they will have earmuffs. They're the same ones used for shooting and work well.
And will be a damn sight cheaper....
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Big_Philly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ear Muffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salicete View Post
I recently switched to Bose noise canceling headphones. They are far superior to anything I have ever used before, and I have tried lots.

They also have a wonderful full sound when used as standard headphones for your MP3 player.

They can be found at a MUCH better price than Bose advertises them for.

See link below.

http://http://www.bose.com/controller?event=view_product_page_event&product=q c2_headphones_index
I bet they rock, but they're probably pretty expensive too, aren't they?
Edit: yeah, clicking the link helped in answering my question. $299 is a little above your average joe's budget, like I suspected :)
I am thinking about saving up for an in-ear monitor system though.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com