DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Default EC2 help!

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, so apologies if not.
I'm having real trouble tuning my floor tom. I have a Premier Cabria kit, with Evans EC2s on the tom batters. I still have the stock reso heads, but I don't see how this would be a problem, as the rack tom sounds wonderful. Anyway when I tune it too low all I get is a horrible, lifeless thump, and if I tune it any higher it has this horrid ring to it. So what I'm asking is what am I doing wrong? In fact I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't have a clue. I was thinking of a two ply reso head, would this help?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: EC2 help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailhail View Post
I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, so apologies if not.
I'm having real trouble tuning my floor tom. I have a Premier Cabria kit, with Evans EC2s on the tom batters. I still have the stock reso heads, but I don't see how this would be a problem, as the rack tom sounds wonderful. Anyway when I tune it too low all I get is a horrible, lifeless thump, and if I tune it any higher it has this horrid ring to it. So what I'm asking is what am I doing wrong? In fact I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't have a clue. I was thinking of a two ply reso head, would this help?
EC2s are just plain hard to tune. I tried them on both of my kits and was frustrated w/ many of the same problems you're having. The marketing says they have a great tuning range but I find that they have the opposite. They're so thick, you really only get two tuning options, crap and luck.

If it weren't for that, I might stick with them...they can produce a good sound if you have infinite patience.

I'd recommend replacing them with clear emperors...those are great 2-ply heads. I went back to using my Fiberskyns and fell in love with them all over again.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM

2-ply heads for reso is not recommended.

Tune your reso head to the lowest clear pitch and after tune your ec2 to the same pitch.
It will sound.

But I experienced problems with Ec2 too ... I recommend you try G2 Clear or G2 Coated.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Guinness

You might also want to try the G2 Evans heads. I have gone through every head imaginable and have found this product to offer the best overall sound on my toms. The floor tom actually "growls" at you it seems like. They control the overtones without sacrificing too much of the projection and tonal quality of the drum. I have used the EC2 heads and found them to be a little bit better than the Pinstripes, but they still felt and sounded like I was hitting cardboard boxes.

edit---just listen to Max. I wasn't quick enough on the draw.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
EC2s are just plain hard to tune. I tried them on both of my kits and was frustrated w/ many of the same problems you're having. The marketing says they have a great tuning range but I find that they have the opposite. They're so thick, you really only get two tuning options, crap and luck.

If it weren't for that, I might stick with them...they can produce a good sound if you have infinite patience.

I'd recommend replacing them with clear emperors...those are great 2-ply heads. I went back to using my Fiberskyns and fell in love with them all over again.
I always found that EC2s were extremely easy to tune. The really help a cheap kit sound good. I'm not an EC2 guy though - I mostly prefer the Evans G2s. Fiberskyns are very cool too though. Great on a 4pc jazz kit.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
I always found that EC2s were extremely easy to tune. The really help a cheap kit sound good. I'm not an EC2 guy though - I mostly prefer the Evans G2s. Fiberskyns are very cool too though. Great on a 4pc jazz kit.
Well, you DID warn me about them...I guess I should have listened, eh. ;)

I found, once they settled in and were played a while, they got progressively harder to tune. I'm going to hang onto them and try them again someday, however...

After a while I didn't like how much volume was taken out of my drums...but the sound was pretty nice at first.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

It's all good. At least you have good taste in ride cymbals!!

;-)
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
It's all good. At least you have good taste in ride cymbals!!

;-)
Indeed! Funny you should mention that...I might be after another K Custom Dry in the near future. I sold my last one because it was *too* dry...it wouldn't cut through guitar noise without really laying into it...

I believe that's because it was quite heavy. I only bought it because I played my drum teacher's and his is *beautiful*...but it's a thinner weight than I had.

But...another topic for another time...I'll shoot you an email about it.