DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

Default What do you guys think of these (studio monitors)

I so these and i am not sure what to think...so i am asking you guys what you think...

http://cgi.ebay.com/350-Watt-RMS-Stu...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Watt-New-Pa...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What do you guys think of these (studio monitors)

Never seen of/or heard either, but from their looks (butt ugly-in my opinion) I'd pass.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

What do you plan on using them for? If you're looking for something to mix on, I would highly suggest a smaller set of near field speakers.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

to tell you the truth i have no clue what i would use them for. I am using a set of old but some what good computer speakers for tascam and was thinking about getting something new, and more powerful. I was watching them for a while and they have had several auctions with only one bid so with shipping it would be like $40 witch isnt that much...but I still dont even know if it would be worth it...they are ugly but if they work better then the speakers i have now i dont really care how they look
Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you want to upgrade the speakers you mix on, save a little more for some decent near fields ($300 - $400). If you're just noodling around, your PC speakers will work fine. If you really want an accurate representation of what you're working on, it will cost ya. Near fields are pretty small. You don't need high watt speakers to mix on. You'll end up with ear fatigue and thin sounding mixes if you mix at high volumes constantly.

I use a set of Altec Lansing PC speakers with a sub. They get the job done but I am really at a point where I need some real near fields. If you can get a mix sounding good on a system with near flat response, it should translate well to any other system. There's the old saying that if you can get something to sound good on a crappy set of speakers (ie. old boombox), it will sound good anywhere. The problem with that though is if those crappy speakers are your only point of reference you won't know what all the frequencies are really doing because the speakers are incapable of producing them, or have an unusual response curve that gives you a distorted image of the sound. So it may sound great on the boom box (or PC speakers), but then you'll take it to your friend's house who has a real nice stereo and you'll find it sounds quite different (ie bass may be too heavy).
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM

I own the KRK 5 powered monitors.These show up routinely on Craiglist for $200 or less and are great for computer speakers as well as stereo.I own a high end audio setup that I am seriously contemplating replacing with the KRK 8 series.tracer
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 AM

at the very LEAST i would grab some M-Audio AV-40 model studio monitors. A definite upgrade from computer speakers and a generation up from the previous Studiophile DX4's M-Audio offered. They have RCA and 1/4" TRS stereo LR inputs, a 1/8" mini input, 4 inch speakers with tweeter.. not a bad deal for $149.99

Some really hot items to look out for would be a pair of Event ASP6 monitors. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a pair of those between 350-500 bucks. They are well worth it too if you want something very high end.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

An engineer gave me a pretty good suggestion recently. He noted how many people are buying these mid-level quality near-field monitors ($300 to $500) that have integrated amps. He said you could buy an old hi-fi stereo amp, and then spend your $3-500 on a nice set of passive speakers instead. The end result would be better than the 'budget' near-fields companies try to sell now.

It's kind of like the same deal with these budget USB/Firewire interfaces and budget mixers that have built-in preamps. Those preamps will get the job done, but are no where near the quality of a decent dedicated pre. It makes sense though, and the extra features are nice in the budget stuff since most of us home-recordists don't have the money to shell out like a commercial studio. Think about it this way. In a $400 mixer, you can get 8 pres. How much money do you think is going into those pres, as opposed to the rest of the mixer? A decent dedicated mono or stereo pre will run you the same as the total cost of that mixer.